Default Apps and disabling tips/hints?

Desynthesis

Mar 16, 2017
Visit site
As a newcomer to Android, I'm learning the hardware that finding answers to simple questions in other phone ecosystems is frequently an ordeal on Android, and the Priv is not an exception.

1) Is there a way to change default apps besides the Browser, Phone and SMS? These are particularly useless considering the phone does everything it can from letting you install other phone apps, but really what I want is to replace Google Maps with another alternative.

2) How do you shut off those ugly yellow hints/tips? They weren't that informative when I started using the phone, much less now.

Any help would much be appreciated. I picked up a Priv because I wanted that physical keyboard and wireless charging (and it was within my budget, unlike the latest Android handsets)--my fault for not realizing how tricky dealing with the software is.

midnightdoom

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Can you give some more examples besides browser sms and phone? (Personally I've been using Yaata for sms.. But will switch to Signal if it ever is compatible with the Hub)

As for google maps I too am researching maps right now, comparing features and privacy policies... I'm still in testing and am not 100% satisfied with any offering yet.. But to start with look up
Maps.me (gave me decent traffic results), inrix traffic (great traffic results but no offline option and DTEK will go off constantly),
here WeGo (started by Nokia, now owned by BMW Chrysler and Audi I think, but not great traffic results),
Waze (owned by google, not great traffic results,)

Traffic could vary in your area as it's dependant on number of users sharing their location etc

To replace google document apps, Microsoft word is good or WPS is great too but has ads

I use solid explorer for a file manager and photo gallery... don't disable the stock photo app tho or you can't change contact pictures

You can't uninstall preinstalled google apps but to disable you can look them up in app section under setting

Desynthesis

Mar 16, 2017
Visit site
Thank you for your answer Midnight doom, but I think you might be missing the point also.

I'm asking if you can change the option under 'default apps' in the settings for things like maps. Other Android phones have it. The Priv does not. Even if I disable Google Maps, if I search for an address it opens that app up instead of asking me to use another one.

Sorry if I worded this incorrectly.

midnightdoom

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for your answer Midnight doom, but I think you might be missing the point also.

I'm asking if you can change the option under 'default apps' in the settings for things like maps. Other Android phones have it. The Priv does not. Even if I disable Google Maps, if I search for an address it opens that app up instead of asking me to use another one.

Sorry if I worded this incorrectly.

So, I can't find any more options besides the phone sms and browser... but did find it is still possible to a sense..

Way I mimicked it was I opened an address link from Contacts, it asked which map app, I used Inrix in this case and clicked always... tho it's app by app basis it still can be done to an extent

newcollector

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If you are using the BlackBerry Launcher on your Priv, you can press and hold the app you want to disable. Disable it. Then you can download any other app you want to use in its place but you do have to set it as the default app.

For example, my sms app I use is Pulse. I did not disable thew native messages app but downloaded Pulse and then made it my default app. Works great.

This has nothing to do with rooting the Priv. I also do not use BlackBerry Launcher. I use Nova Launcher Premier because I like all the gestures it provides and customizations.

towngirl

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I am still trying to get used to Android.. And I have had the Priv 1.5 yrs. It's so dif than BlackBerry! I can't find most thing to set how I want and every update changes how I set it. Frustrating, sometimes.
Blackberry made things much easier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockpaperreality36