PRIV - charge all night? and BB help

towngirl

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I had to get a new battery not too long ago (after a year) and the person that changed it said to not leave it charging over night as it would make the battery not last as long.

Is that true? Seems easier to charge it over night, than middle of day when you might not be near a charger.

I read conflicting reports, online.

Also, my son bought a PRIV from BB. The screen needs some help for a red line running down it. You have help from BlackBerry for PRIV for one year but I haven't found an e-mail address from BlackBerry that I can get an answer from.

Any idea who to contact? Waiting to long to hear, the time is running out :(

Thanks!

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
It's not good for the battery to stay on the charger for extended periods, but it isn't doing a lot of harm to the device. Basically what will happen is the device will get to 100%, it will stop accepting current, let itself drop a percent or a few percent and then accept a charge back up. Depending on what else is going on, once it's at 100% it'll spend less time charging than just sitting there idle.

towngirl

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
It's not good for the battery to stay on the charger for extended periods, but it isn't doing a lot of harm to the device. Basically what will happen is the device will get to 100%, it will stop accepting current, let itself drop a percent or a few percent and then accept a charge back up. Depending on what else is going on, once it's at 100% it'll spend less time charging than just sitting there idle.

Thanks. I do charge it over night and I notice it seems to be not last very long, again. SO...... I hope I don't need a new one, again.

I found the answer to my other question:

Did you know that PRIV comes with 12 months of free, complimentary support?
Call 1-866-533-8067 (Canada & United States), or 0800-141-3330 (United Kingdom)

newcollector

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
That support may no longer be valid. However, @blackBerryHelp is always available.

Leaving the phone on the battery overnight with an oem BlackBerry charger or a qualcomm certified 2.0 charger does not cause damage. The guy who told you not to charge overnight is wrong. Batteries back years ago had issues, but not today's batteries.

Bosbouer

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Towngirl, I think you got a dud battery. As I remember you and my daughter got your Priv very close to the same time. She charges every night. Battery will still last 18 to 20 hrs if needed. She uses the charger that came with the priv. If you are using a different (read older) charger, it may cause issues.

towngirl

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Towngirl, I think you got a dud battery. As I remember you and my daughter got your Priv very close to the same time. She charges every night. Battery will still last 18 to 20 hrs if needed. She uses the charger that came with the priv. If you are using a different (read older) charger, it may cause issues.

Good to know. I have the charger that came with the Priv.

Maybe the battery dud!