BlackBerry Priv in 2018??

ToniCipriani

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Still using mine as daily driver.

Sent mine to China to get an extra GB of memory soldered on and a heatsink mod, will be getting a new battery this week.

I don't forsee any new sliders coming so I'll run mine to the ground or until I get kicked off the network for running Android 6.

neoberry99

Jun 28, 2015
Visit site
I'm still using my Priv everyday as a work phone. Love the slider and the more I use the keyboard the more I like it. You can tell this is a premium phone even in 2018.

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
Priv is nice if you want the iconic design and keyboard and have a budget of about $100 - $150. If you can get into the $200 + mark, better to get a used KEYone.

axllebeer

Trusted Member
Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
The Priv looked like - and still is - a gorgeous phone. I'd understand why people would be using it in 2018. Though my Pixel 2 keyboard is great, ever since I've switched over to Android, I've always missed my BlackBerry keyboard! (Be it my Bold 9780 or my Q10.)

This exactly. I was a long time BlackBerry user, still have my Priv and use it a day or 4 every month. But my Pixel 2 is just so much faster, smoother, better battery life, faster charging. Hard to switch back to Priv now. But I prefer Android 8 to Android 9. And the Priv is doomed to stay with Android 6. So guess I need a Key2? But it won't work with Verizon. So get a 1.5 year old KEYone now? Just not sure where to go from here... 😔

Flicked via the BlackBerry keyboard on my Pixel 2

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
This exactly. I was a long time BlackBerry user, still have my Priv and use it a day or 4 every month. But my Pixel 2 is just so much faster, smoother, better battery life, faster charging. Hard to switch back to Priv now. But I prefer Android 8 to Android 9. And the Priv is doomed to stay with Android 6. So guess I need a Key2? But it won't work with Verizon. So get a 1.5 year old KEYone now? Just not sure where to go from here...

Flicked via the BlackBerry keyboard on my Pixel 2
You can get a KEY2 LE which is whitelisted/certified for Verizon

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
still using the priv
Here are some tips and tricks to help your Priv battery last longer, but do change the battery if yours is old:

First thing to do is enable developer options by going into phone settings and then "About Phone" and tapping "Build Number" 8 times until it tells you that you've become a developer.

Then, back out of there and you'll see developer options at the bottom.

Go in there and scroll down to the three animation settings which will all be on "1x".

Tap each of them and lower them to "0.5x".

Then, go back out and into "Storage" and wait for the "cached data" to load. Most likely there will be at least 1gb of cached data.

Simply tap it to clear it and wait a few seconds.

After this, you should see an immediate performance gain.

-Lower the resolution with adb to 1080x1920 (see here https://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=1093326 )

-Keep Bluetooth/WiFi and scanning OFF unless in use

-Disable all BB Hub+ and the other BlackBerry apps

-Disable ALL the Google apps that you don't actively use, especially the "Google" one. I would use Google Keep, Google Contacts and Google Calendar, those are not resource hogs

-Avoid using Google Maps or do any navigation unless necessary

-Don't play any game that requires more GPU power than a simple 2D game like candy crush

-Don't use the Full Facebook or Messenger app, use Facebook Lite and Messenger Lite instead

-Keep the brightness at 50% unless necessary

-Enable power saving mode all day

-Connect the phone to a Wi-Fi especially when signal is weak

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol