Compelling evidence that Blackberry is doomed

npo

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
I just got back from a trip to Colombia (the one in S. America, hence the "o")' and there has been an explosion in the # of Blackberries there over the past year or so since my last trip. EVERYONE suddenly has a Blackberry.

Why is this bad for RIM, you ask? Because hardly anyone in Colombia can actually afford to pay hundreds of dollars for a smartphone, so apparently RIM is dumping them in the Latin American markets. The last time I saw this happen on such a scale was with video tapes... When VHS beat out Sony Betamax as the dominant video technology, Sony dumped their stock in Colombia (& probably elsewhere in S. America). Even into the early 2000's, everyone in Colombia watched their movies on Betamax.

As an aside, the same thing happens with toys that are defective or otherwise can't meet US sarety standards... Every toy my kids have ever gotten from my Colombian in-laws has fallen apart within about a day.

So remember, parents out there, if you're in S. America, don't let your toddler suck on that toy car!

And RIM investors, you've been warned.

npunk42

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Thats really stretching. Im not a RIM investor, but come on, thats all you got? They opened a nice Italian restaurant near here. As soon as the doors opened the place was packed, everyone having the best meal of their lives. Thats bad for Italian food, why, years ago I was in a Greek restaurant, it too was crowded, everyone having a great meal when suddenly an elderly tripped and broke wrist. So thats it, a sure sign that Italian food is on the way out. How compelling!

npo

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
K. Next time I'll remember to end the subject line with TIC in parentheses.

But seriously... I can get you a really good deal on a Betamax if you'd like.

kraski

Jan 3, 2009
Visit site
I just got back from a trip to Colombia (the one in S. America, hence the "o")' and there has been an explosion in the # of Blackberries there over the past year or so since my last trip. EVERYONE suddenly has a Blackberry.

Why is this bad for RIM, you ask? Because hardly anyone in Colombia can actually afford to pay hundreds of dollars for a smartphone, so apparently RIM is dumping them in the Latin American markets. The last time I saw this happen on such a scale was with video tapes... When VHS beat out Sony Betamax as the dominant video technology, Sony dumped their stock in Colombia (& probably elsewhere in S. America). Even into the early 2000's, everyone in Colombia watched their movies on Betamax.

As an aside, the same thing happens with toys that are defective or otherwise can't meet US sarety standards... Every toy my kids have ever gotten from my Colombian in-laws has fallen apart within about a day.

So remember, parents out there, if you're in S. America, don't let your toddler suck on that toy car!

And RIM investors, you've been warned.

I know I'm late to this conversation, but your analogy is flawed. At the time of your insights, RIM had models that were not sold in markets like Japan, Europe or North America, designed specifically for lower economy markets. And, like most electronics manufacturers, there are left over old models every time a new one comes out. Is it better to dump those or is it better to use them as a way to make further inroads in other markets, making some money from them instead of taking a complete loss? Take a look at what iPhone and Android models are in those same markets.

You forget one other thing. Data in second and third world countries is sold in megabytes, not gigabytes. At fairly costly prices for the economy. I have international BBM friends who couldn't complete an entire month of data because of the cost. At the same time, prior to BB10, doing data on a Blackberry required BIS (Blackberry Internet Service). BIS, like archiving, compressed data so more could be transmitted in the same bandwidth. When you think of low incomes married to expensive megabyte data plans, is it really surprising that Blackberry's data compression would be popular in places like the one you described?

JrTechify

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Blackberry Guys are Risky Geeks...

You Can't Really say Blackberry is Doomed! You can just say that Blackberry did a Suicide. Blackberry had BBM just on Blackberry Models and now, Blackberry said they will launch BBM to Android and iOS. They risked themselves because, there are more Android and iOS Users (Individual and Together) so, BBM will be popular on those Android and iOS than the (Original) Blackberry's Creation! Now/Maybe, Blackberry will be less Popular and have to do Something Quick... :-X :eek: :-X

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Re: Blackberry Guys are Risky Geeks...

Oddly enough, in the two years since the OP first posted, BBRY's share in Colombia and other Latin American countries has crashed, primarily due to the availability of cheap and mid-level Android devices and, to a lesser but still significant extent, Windows phones. Its former popularity was not due to phones being dumped in Colombia and elsewhere -- simply that budget Curves and the like were available there, while other platforms had not established as extensive a presence. That's all changed now. BBRY is doomed, but for other reasons -- the main one being nobody wants what they're offering.

kojita

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Every week or month brings good news for BlackBerry in particular on the enterprise front. BlackBerry is in front of Samsung in south Africa and gaining more traction given its security (Germany UK and so on). So it is definitely not doomed.

Posted from my BlackBerry Z10 using super fluid Androidcentral App running on 4.2 runtime like a charm.

Posted via Android Central App

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Blackberry may not be doomed, but they definitely need their next flagship device to be a hit. The Z10 was a complete failure.

kojita

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Blackberry may not be doomed, but they definitely need their next flagship device to be a hit. The Z10 was a complete failure.

Agreed. The Z30 is much better. But they need to hit it out of th park now, preferably with a strong partner be it Google or Amazon. (see post in globe and mail on views with partners)

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Biggest evidence was when I posted how the z10 was EOL already.

People called me a liar even though I showed proof. They decided not to accept it.

kojita

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Biggest evidence was when I posted how the z10 was EOL already.

People called me a liar even though I showed proof. They decided not to accept it.

The only thing wrong with the Z10 is the initial tag price. With sub 250 price point now (should be same as moto G) it is better positionned

guygardner73

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
The only thing wrong with the Z10 is the initial tag price. With sub 250 price point now (should be same as moto G) it is better positionned

I think with the new 10.2.1.1055 leak, and the ability to directly download android apps onto the device, coupled with the low price of the Z10 and the fact that the OS is functionally better than IOS, 2014 may very well be Blackberry's year.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
BlackBerry Limited (BBRY)

Sep 28, 2011$21.90 (Start Date of this Thread)

Dec 9, 2013$5.75 (Today)

It's sad. Hate to see alternatives circle the drain. But still holding out hope. I have my Google Now watching BB stock (no, I haven't bought any).

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon