Reasons why Blackberry is Better than IOS or Android?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I have used all three platforms - blackberry, iOS and Android and I agree with the first point about the keyboard and email integration and this is one of the reasons why people are still with blackberry. Hopefully we will see some major improvement with BB10. Also, I don't think we can really compare blackberry with iOS and Android and even more, can't really say blackberry has fell behind because they have been more or less pushed and tossed aside from the 'smartphone wars.' Blackberry were doing fine until Apple and Samsung started being greedy.

BlackBerry was doing fine because their opposition was Windows Mobile. When iOS then Android exploded, RIM had no answer.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

socialcarpet

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Mmm.. I had a Blackberry once. The only thing I really liked about it was the speed and precision with which I could type on the physical keyboard. I still miss that from time to time, though the touch keyboards on my Lumia 920 and Nexus 7 are both excellent and compared with the Blackberry, I can type on them with about 90% the speed and 70% the accuracy (or vice versa).

The mail client was pretty robust from what I remember. BBM was useless to me because almost no one else I knew had a Blackberry. The only other thing that made a real impression on me was their app store, Blackberry World or whatever.. Not for anything positive though, but because of how atrociously bad most of the apps were. Many were absurdly priced compared to any other device and most of them were underwhelming at best and buggy and crash-prone or riddled with permissions issues. I found all of the developers I tried to contact for support really wanted nothing tho do with me and seemed to regret ever making a Blackberry app in the first place.

It was a great idea initially, but I get the sense that by the time I got there, about three years ago. I was stepping among the ruins of a crumbling, but once proud empire.

I know Blackberry fans are pretty passionate about the brand, though I'm sure their ranks must have dwindled by now. I'm curious to see if they can still save the Blackberry with BB10. From what I've seen it looks pretty impressive. Windows Phone is my phone OS of choice though (and Android for tablets) but I'll be paying attention to them this year. If nothing else, I think the competition will benefit all of us because it will ensure that no one rests on their laurels too much, especially Microsoft, who has the most to lose from a Blackberry resurgence.

socialcarpet

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Incorrect IBM simon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Eh, I'd say the early Nokia Communicator phones in the mid 1990s were the first real smartphones. Simon was never really a mainstream product that sold in any meaningful numbers. I had a Palm 180g and I remember that being pretty extraordinary back in 2002... It had a browser and the 180g model I had had a graffiti writing area rather than a keyboard, so it was truly a touch screen smartphone.

Last edited:

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Eh, I'd say the early Nokia Communicator phones in the mid 1990s were the first real smartphones. Simon was never really a mainstream product that sold in any meaningful numbers. I had a Palm 180g and I remember that being pretty extraordinary back in 2002... It had a browser and the 180g model I had had a graffiti writing area rather than a keyboard, so it was truly a touch screen smartphone.

But now you have changed the context. You said smartphone not mainstream.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

outlooker

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
Almost everything about the Z10 is better than Android except for app and game availability. The multi-tasking is insanely cool on BlackBerry 10. Its really boring on Android though.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Almost everything about the Z10 is better than Android except for app and game availability. The multi-tasking is insanely cool on BlackBerry 10. Its really boring on Android though.
Ummm excuse me? Battery life is an issue with the Z10 and apps are a huge deal to me so iOS android and maybe WP8 are the only options for me.

outlooker

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
Ummm excuse me? Battery life is an issue with the Z10 and apps are a huge deal to me so iOS android and maybe WP8 are the only options for me.

Hmm, I've never heard of the battery life issue on the Z10. And yes the app and game availability is a major con on BlackBerry 10, but like I said; besides that BlackBerry 10 OS is in every way just as good, or even better then iOS, Android, and Windows Phone.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Hmm, I've never heard of the battery life issue on the Z10. And yes the app and game availability is a major con on BlackBerry 10, but like I said; besides that BlackBerry 10 OS is in every way just as good, or even better then iOS, Android, and Windows Phone.

Perhaps, but phonedog have stated lag here and there, something my iPhone 5 does not have and neither does my Nexus 4.

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I tried using my Z10 as my primary device but couldn't do it.

It's too severely lacking in Apps for the moment & more importantly to me there's not enough LED support even for Apps like WhatsApp. I purchased an App named "Hubb++" & that thankfully helps but only supports a few Apps for the moment.

So until more Devs support the OS & the OS supports LED better, I just simply can't rely on it as my primary device.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

outlooker

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
Perhaps, but phonedog have stated lag here and there, something my iPhone 5 does not have and neither does my Nexus 4.
LAG??!! Are you sure that's for the Z10? From what I've heard from Z10 owners and reviewers, they're praising the Z10 for its smooth usability without lag. The guys at phonedog must have tried multi tasking on it to an insane extent, making it lag. ANY phone would lag if you did that to it. BlackBerry 10 OS and iOS are the two most lag free operating systems out there for now.

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
LAG??!! Are you sure that's for the Z10?

There's definitely lag but from my uses it's only been when running sideloaded Android Apps likely because:
1) running through an emulator
2) emulator only supports 2.3.3 for now

Using native BB Apps or those from their App Store I encountered no lag whatsoever which will hopefully also be fixed when they update the emulator to 4.x.

outlooker

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
I tried using my Z10 as my primary device but couldn't do it.

It's too severely lacking in Apps for the moment
Well, BlackBerry 10 OS is less than three months old and it's still in its infancy stage. You can't expect an operating system to have a zillion apps when its that new. Android is going to turn four in some months, iOS is way older. BlackBerry 10 OS already has more than one hundred thousand apps which is an outstanding number for such a new device.
Its unfair to treat BlackBerry 10 OS as inferior because its so new. Android hardly had any apps and LED customization and when it was new.
Yes I agree that BlackBerry 10's notification LED isn't as customizable as it was in BlackBerry 7 OS but hopefully they'll update that. The user interface and OS of BlackBerry 10 is beautiful.
Apps will come, its way to early to judge BlackBerry 10 OS on the basis of app availability.
Seriously think about it, its barely three months old and it already has more than 1/7th the apps on the Play Store.

outlooker

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
There's definitely lag but from my uses it's only been when running sideloaded Android Apps likely because:
1) running through an emulator
2) emulator only supports 2.3.3 for now

Using native BB Apps or those from their App Store I encountered no lag whatsoever which will hopefully also be fixed when they update the emulator to 4.x.
That's true, any OS is likely to lag or atleast not function as well if you run software on it that wasn't specifically designed for it. The emulator which simulates Android 2.3 is to be blamed because Gingerbread is already more than two years old now is not suitable for modern apps. If you run apps around two years old on the Z10 it probably won't lag.
Anyway, BlackBerry is updating their Android run-time emulator to 4.1 Jelly Bean and then the issue will be resolved.
BlackBerry 10 OS is extremely new and there are still numerous improvements which are being incorporated.

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Seriously think about it, its barely three months old and it already has more than 1/7th the apps on the Play Store.

Of the half dozen friends with a Z10 we average less than a dozen Apps & Games from App World...yes Play Store has a quality -VS- quantity problem but seems BB suffers from that more severely.

I'm not judging it, I like the Z10. I just can't use it as my primary device until LED is supported better, there's more quality Apps & they update their Android emulator. Simple as that.
Until then it's still a solid secondary device to my Nexus 4 replacing my iPhone 5.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci