What if Rim sold BBM as an app

Scatabrain

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Okay sorry for the link bait. But the title of the thread illustrates my point.

To save RIM:

<rant>RIM should license BIS, BES to companies and individual phone users (screw the carriers). Wouldn't it be fantastic for them to write a client app to bring some of the awesomeness and security of the BB messaging.

I see them charging 19.99 a year or something to each end user. They would be opening up their customer base and making a great deal on each with repeated revenue.

Fooling around with hardware (which they have never excelled at) is ludicrous. They clearly don't know how to leverage their strengths.

Sure they can still make the low end garbage phones for those that don't want anything more. But for the high end phone market they need to do something like this to stay competitive and thrive.

Not as good Alternative: Go ahead and make a decent device - put Android on it for God's sake. Then add your messaging to it. But compared to my first option from above you can see how this would be lifting 10 thousand pounds of dung up a hill for a limited payback instead of lifting 1000 pounds of it and have a vastly bigger payback.

If the other handset makers and / or carriers fight back against doing messaging correctly and refuse to make direct deals with RIM for software only solutions (that would replace all of their inferior attempts), then reach out to companies and individual users that demand the best messaging and security possible for their high end devices.

Enough said.
</rant>

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
it will not happen because Rim will not let themselves lose one of their key features that makes people buy their devices.

Scatabrain

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I think that they could charge 20-30 a year to each happy user and make a ton more on a much larger user base. They could still make the low end phones which are very popular. You would be buying a subscription to BIS it BES. Makes a ton if sense to me.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

anon(41073)

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
it will not happen because Rim will not let themselves lose one of their key features that makes people buy their devices.

SEGA. Remember when people stopped buying their hardware and they started making software for the competitors ? Just a thought.

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
yes but look at where sega is now haha. they do not even make games for the USA and any other from what im aware of.

Blackberry will always be on top of the business world which is a huge market share. they will always have customers

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
But why would RIM give up their $10K+ (That's what it used to cost a few years ago, not sure what it costs now) BES platform that they license by the user (In addition to the base license) to Corporations and MSP’s, plus their annual maintenance fees on top of the user licenses. BES is what made them and what is keeping them afloat. BIS in my opinion is junk they gave the carriers so Tommy, Billy and Janie could connect to AOL and G-mail with their Blackberry, and the carriers charge for that too.

Q-fugee

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
RIM did. In 2007 they came out with "Blackberry Services for Windows Mobile 6." it was a dud.

The BB magic depends in part on the hardware and the dedicated paging channel. You can't replicate that in software on someone else's hardware.

--Qfg

MANdroid5000

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Maybe not on a locked-down iOS platform, but can't you dig at the internals of Android as much as it takes to create a paging channel daemon or whatever?

TaeKwonDonkey

Dec 18, 2009
Visit site
If BB took any of the Bold models, put Android 2.X on, and installed a version of BBM on it that could communicate with standard BB's, and then marketed this phone to the youth group, they could make a killing a because young people like me want to use BBM but still be able to use the features of Android. I used to have a BB 9700, the hardware was great but the OS was a POS.

Xopher

Trusted Member
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
If QNX gets the ability to run Android, then BB doesn't have a need to port BBM to Android. They can sell BB's that will run Android apps.

Lots of apps advertise that they give BBM-like communications, but none of them actually connect to BBM.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
TBH. I think RIM putting the app onto other platforms will spell their ultimate demise as a phone-maker. That's the one reason a good 75% of my friends are picking up BlackBerrys. For BBM. If it comes to Android, then why would they want to buy an outdated device? They'd use Android and get BBM that way.

vernotzy21

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
If you wanna save RIM get them to go open source with blackberry

Android is rocking the open source world

Sent from my SPH-M820 using Android Central Forums

kraski

Jan 3, 2009
Visit site
TBH. I think RIM putting the app onto other platforms will spell their ultimate demise as a phone-maker. That's the one reason a good 75% of my friends are picking up BlackBerrys. For BBM. If it comes to Android, then why would they want to buy an outdated device? They'd use Android and get BBM that way.

I guess we'll see if you were right, since it's happening this summer.