[Studio Energy] Can't remove app icons from home screen

A

AC Question

I recently upgraded my BLU Studio Energy to lollipop. It added all of my app icons back to my home screen and I can't see a way to remove them. It looks like they intend for you to keep them all there since there is no other area to access your apps than the home screen. I hope I am just missing something because I will be very disappointed with my decision to upgrade if this is the case.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Can't remove app icons from home screen

The normal way of removing app icons from any home screen is to long-press them and slide up to Remove, which removes them to the app drawer or locker. Similarly, they can be moved in the opposite direction, from locker to home screen. Are you saying that this does not work?

Nickcon12

Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
Re: Can't remove app icons from home screen

There is no ability to remove the icon even after a long press. When I long press it only gives the option to uninstall but not to remove the icon. There doesn't appear to be any locker either, just the home screen.

Aaron Mac

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site

I'm having the same issue with my Studio Energy after upgrading to lollipop. There is no longer a Remove section when dragging an app shortcut. Any insights? Very frustrated

Aaron Mac

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site

That's correct. There is no remove/garbage can when dragging an app. As OP suggested, it actually seems like this was an intentional change. There is no longer an app drawer. Seems exceptionally boneheaded, especially since they included Chrome on the home screen twice.

H3aTeRzz

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site

This is indeed odd for sure! I have seen a lot here lately, issues shortly following a major upgrade like you performed.

I would first recommend entering recovery mode, and doing a wipe of the cache partition, I don't think this is going to help, but it is worth a shot.

The Last Resort is a full factory reset of the phone. This function is not as bad as it used to be, as there are great programs out there, for example Samsung Smart Switch, and helium, both available in the Play Store.

I would certainly recommend to transfer all of your important photos from your phone to your computer first, before doing a full factory reset.

Good luck, keep us posted!

Chris

H3aTeRzz

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site

Wow. If a factory reset didn't fix it, then there's nothing else I can think of. Sorry Aaron.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

I think the latest version doesn't include an app drawer so all your app icons reside on the home screen. This means there's no way to delete them from there unless you want to uninstall. The only workaround is using a custom launcher, like Nova, to have a drawer again.

Last edited:

Eninuraeni

Jul 6, 2016
Visit site

I just found a way. Here are the steps. 1st just tap your home screen or any page. 2nd tap ⬜ with 6 dots in it (icon for getting applications and widgets). 3rd tap 3dots on the top right corner then scroll until "preferences". Tap on it then tap "home screen". Then scroll down until u find "lock home screen", then unchecked on it if you find it on checked/checklist. Now you can see "remove" appears again when you tap and hold on icons on your Android. Good luck.

PaisleyPumpkin

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure if they can be deleted, but they can be moved to another screen (and yes, not having an app drawer sucks). To move things off the home screen (or just rearrange everything because WTH it's not in alphabetical order?!):

Long hold on home screen until you get the split screen with the bottom section to add widgets/effects
Long hold the icon you want to remove from the home screen in the top section
Keep holding and drag it to the right edge and the other screens will flip thru and you can drop it wherever you want it.

Raguna163

Aug 10, 2016
Visit site
The stock homescreen is junk, I didn't have it for more than 5 minutes. It's a glorified app drawer, that's why you can't remove them. This is a good excuse to check out different home screens.
They likely didn't even bother trying with this home screen because they know most people are going to replace it anyway.

saltyshelley

Sep 19, 2016
Visit site
I just found a way. Here are the steps. 1st just tap your home screen or any page. 2nd tap ⬜ with 6 dots in it (icon for getting applications and widgets). 3rd tap 3dots on the top right corner then scroll until "preferences". Tap on it then tap "home screen". Then scroll down until u find "lock home screen", then unchecked on it if you find it on checked/checklist. Now you can see "remove" appears again when you tap and hold on icons on your Android. Good luck.

Thanks a lot for posting your solution to this problem!! I recently got a Blu phone too and this problem has been really frustrating, as I'm sure you know. Really seems newly over-complicated, as if Android tried too hard to imitate Apple on this version of the OS. If I wanted an iPhone, I'd get an iPhone. Android should've just kept the app locker the way it was. But anywho, thanks for the solution update!! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

glmer17

Dec 8, 2016
Visit site
I recently upgraded my BLU Studio Energy to lollipop. It added all of my app icons back to my home screen and I can't see a way to remove them. It looks like they intend for you to keep them all there since there is no other area to access your apps than the home screen. I hope I am just missing something because I will be very disappointed with my decision to upgrade if this is the case.

I had the same problem. I know this feed is older but I thought this is worth sharing. Install Nova Launcher from the Play store. It's free and it fixed everything. It even got rid of the annoying app drawer layout.

marydelane

May 4, 2017
Visit site
I did this on the LG G6:

Select the following setting:
Settings > Home screen > Select Home > Home with separate apps list

After you select this setting, the home screen will then give you a Remove trash can at the top when you long press.

Last edited:

Mike-K

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I had the same situation on my Asus ZenPad running Android 7.0 (couldn't remove app icons). Turns out that it was in 'one layer' mode (the default).
To switch it to the normal ('two layer') mode, long-press on the home screen to get the Manage Home menu. Select 'Preferences', then Home screen, then Layout.

Suellen Kelley

Jan 2, 2019
Visit site
I figured out a way to remove icons from home screen for Samsung galaxy

First long press on the icon

Then drag it over to an empty page(where it is the only thin on that page)

Then long press anywhere on the screen accept on the icon(So that the widgets screen is shown)

Then at the top right corner of the page that the icon is on press the trash can

It will remove that icon from the home screen and it will be in the main apps screen when you scroll up and if the app had been uninstalled the icon will just go away all together I did try it for an app that had been uninstalled but the icon stayed and I tried it on an app that wasn't uninstalled and it worked both ways and I didn't lose the app that I hadn't uninstalled

This dose not work for the Samsung galaxy

Last edited by a moderator:

Ben Harris32

Jan 26, 2019
Visit site

If you go to settings then click on 'home screen and wallpaper' you'll see 'home screen style'. Click on that then choose the drawer function. You'll then be able to long press on an app on your home screen and be given the remove option.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12