I've been able to connect my Blu Life One X to several WIFI networks with a good signal. However, when I am at my office, which has an AC router in my section, it cannot seem to detect it. Instead, it tries to connect to an N router on the other side of the office (and can't get enough signal to do anything).

My old phone, a Nokia 1020, connects to the AC router no problem. And other iPhone and Android users in my area aren't having any trouble connecting either.

I spoke briefly to IT. They just said my phone isn't compatible. But if AC is supposed to be backwards compatible, I don't see why it wouldn't be.

I wasn't able to find any other thread about this problem. Am I the only one?

Thanks!
    04-02-2016 06:28 PM
    You would need to have IT set the router to 2.4ghz "n" or auto detect That would work. This phone I think doesn't support 5ghz.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-02-2016 07:37 PM
    I'll have to see if they're able/willing to.

Is this common for phones? Or are Blu devices more likely to lack support for 5ghz?
    04-02-2016 08:03 PM
    It's a common class of problem. Some Android phones will connect to routers set to use TKIP encryption, but they then make dial-up look like super high speed. Many phones can't connect to systems using a wifi repeater if they can also hear the main router.

Most of the time the phone just connects, but every once in a while you get some combination that doesn't.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-02-2016 09:21 PM
    Your assumption that Wi-Fi AC is backwards compatible is not accurate - if you read this from the side of a router box for example, it only implies that the device can output the older wifi formats and frequencies (802.11 operating at 2.4Ghz) in addition to 802.11ac operating at 5Ghz but 802.11ac itself is not backwards compatible and operates on a totally different frequency range as others have noted.

Basically your phone must have this form of wifi built in to be able to connect to a router that is only outputting a Wi-Fi "ac' signal.

I've been researching the Wi-Fi spec for the Blu Lie One X and from the manufacturer site it only shows that the phone has wifi capability but doesn't say what type. I suspect based on your experience your phone only has Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n which is why it tries to connect to the weaker 802.11 n signal from the other side of your office - it's the only signal your phone is capable of 'seeing'.
    09-02-2016 05:24 AM