Newbie Here! Clueless and Need Help!

Stagehound

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Okay, we just bought two Galaxy Prevails today and I am about to throw this thing against the wall. I can't get into my gmail, I can't access any apps at all, I can't find any music much less download any. the keypad has a huge grey padlock after about ten seconds and I have to hit the "off" button at the top to get to the regular screen to even hit "end call"! What the hell?
Is this normal or am I some kind of idiot?

Please help me, I'm coming from a blackberry-type phone to this so any and all help would be appreciated.

thanks

sblood86

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Okay, we just bought two Galaxy Prevails today and I am about to throw this thing against the wall. I can't get into my gmail, I can't access any apps at all, I can't find any music much less download any. the keypad has a huge grey padlock after about ten seconds and I have to hit the "off" button at the top to get to the regular screen to even hit "end call"! What the hell?
Is this normal or am I some kind of idiot?

Please help me, I'm coming from a blackberry-type phone to this so any and all help would be appreciated.

thanks

The apps, gmail etc bit is a little odd, I would recommend wiping your cache but the stock recovery won't let you do it without wiping data as well.

The good ol' double lock. I don't have a prevail so I've never personally had to deal with the annoyance of it but I know a few who have. The phone lock is part of the phone apk itself, which means if you are using a different phone apk the lock is gone, easiest solution is to install a cm7 rom.

There is very little support for the prevail on these forums and not having one myself I havn't taken the time to import all the guides etc from other forums. If you want to install cm7 or another alternate rom you will first need to root and install recovery. You can find a few links from me here to androidforums which is where my roommate has been finding most of his information for his prevail.

Edit: Another note on the apps issue. There is a chance an alternate ROM will resolve this as well, if nothing else you will have to install custom recovery just to install the ROM and that will allow you to wipe your cache.

lance1955

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
If your running froyo on that phone and its not UPDATE yet to gingerbread then your going to go nutz till it does the over the air update. The gray lock with that phone running froyo sucked. When GB update came it you it made the dialer much better as well as some other little things. The Gray lock will ALWAYS come up and yes you have to tap the top button if your on a call to "unlock" the screen only when in a call. And yes, as stated above if you go the CM7 route the nasty lock goes by by. I left mine stock and just rooted the thing so I could get all the bloat ware off of the phone works fine for me. The biggest improvement was the over the air update to GB from the stock froyo. GB just works much better on this phone and solved allot of the problems with it. I imagine seeing you just got it it has GB on it. I dont know though