08-03-2011 09:57 AM
28 12
tools
    If it holds true to the Galaxy name and has a hummingbird CPU I might jump on it to rid myself of the scary ride that is T-Mobile. Anyone else considering it?

EDIT: I read up this has an 800Mhz CPU, so more than likely it could be able to use flash since the Droid has flash and it uses and 800Mhz processor as well. Very excited to see more of this.... entry level devices kind of give me something to experiment with, cheap price and plans attract new users as well.

Sent from my Xoom
    04-05-2011 06:57 PM
    The way I see it:

- Small screen; kills the point of even naming it an Galaxy S.
    - Boost Mobile Roaming is none existent; meaning you can expect sub par coverage.
    -Overpriced compared to $150 Optimus V at $25mo against fellow MVNO Virgin Mobile.
    04-05-2011 07:15 PM
    The way I see it:

- Small screen; kills the point of even naming it an Galaxy S.
    - Boost Mobile Roaming is none existent; meaning you can expect sub par coverage.
    -Overpriced compared to $150 Optimus V at $25mo against fellow MVNO Virgin Mobile.
    Understandable... but if it has a true Galaxy processor we can expect Flash, a huge up... although I doubt it, I think this could get Gingerbread, if Boost Mobile actually cared about its smart phone business. For 50 bucks and a killer brand like Samsung? Its still a pretty sweet deal considering that Boost Mobile has that shrinkage plan as well.

Sent from my Xoom
    04-05-2011 07:28 PM
    I see this phone mainly as an option for those who already have or plan on switching to Boost Mobile. Heck, this would be a huge upgrade for someone on Boost who has been using a Blackberry 8330.
    minttobe and hotpinkberry like this.
    04-05-2011 11:37 PM
    It's more like a major upgrade from the i1

Sent from my Xoom
    04-06-2011 05:31 AM
    its a major upgrade from my boost berry 8350i. can i cant help thinking that by the end of the year; they will come out with something better than the Prevail, something like how VM did when they first came out with the intercept-then the optimus. but i will definitely get this phone. its good for people who have the other phones with boost and shrinkage is awesome
    minttobe likes this.
    04-06-2011 07:14 PM
    its a major upgrade from my boost berry 8350i. can i cant help thinking that by the end of the year; they will come out with something better than the Prevail, something like how VM did when they first came out with the intercept-then the optimus. but i will definitely get this phone. its good for people who have the other phones with boost and shrinkage is awesome
    Well... the Optimus is better because it has more RAM... I think it might be faster with the processing speed but then multi tasking will be diminished due to low amounts of RAM. Plus Virgin mobile is REALLY cheap. The Optimus V is a cheaper device, has a better camera, has more RAM, has the same ports, has the same screen size, and to top it all off, the device is $25 a month to maintain on a 3g service with unlimited texts, data, and 300 minutes. However overall for unlimited everything the cheapest is Metro.... but Metro is crap, after Metro would be Boost Mobile with much better service. Still I would like to see benchmarks of both of these devices and compare.

Sent from my Xoom
    04-06-2011 08:37 PM
    Well... the Optimus is better because it has more RAM... I think it might be faster with the processing speed but then multi tasking will be diminished due to low amounts of RAM. Plus Virgin mobile is REALLY cheap. The Optimus V is a cheaper device, has a better camera, has more RAM, has the same ports, has the same screen size, and to top it all off, the device is $25 a month to maintain on a 3g service with unlimited texts, data, and 300 minutes. However overall for unlimited everything the cheapest is Metro.... but Metro is crap, after Metro would be Boost Mobile with much better service. Still I would like to see benchmarks of both of these devices and compare.

Sent from my Xoom
    benchmarks are fine and dandy, but for people with crappy phones at this moment-like me and lots of others with boost feature phones(samsung seek; my goodness and the others are pretty crappy)-this phone is a major UPGRADE from what we have, and thats what the phone is created for.

i could care less about ram, screen size (im a girl with small hands anyways), processor, etc., and im sure alot of other boost customers would either;

as long as the phone functions as it should, i get my messages, apps (it runs angry birds better than the optimus does to my surprise), and browse a few web pages im completely fine with that.

now when i do get more money i would upgrade to a contract android with more ooomph if you will.

but this phone isnt designed for that purpose; its to get boost in the ranking with a entry level smart phone. most entry level smart phones have the same features like the optimus and the intercept-nothing more. (slow processors, small screens, little ram, etc.)

we cant expect more because these phones werent created for MORE. and if anything, i think the optimus is smaller or just about the same size as the prevail.

its for the people who can say "hey-i got a android too; and its a damn good one for the price and plan"
    04-06-2011 10:47 PM

Sent from my Xoom
    also since VM is so cheap; so many people have gotten these androids for $25/mo and its overwhelming their servers. people are on their FB page complaining about outages everyday and poor customer service to boot. in the end you get what you pay for, and for what im about to pay for boost, i can expect a good phone with a affordable unlimited plan. plus their customer service isnt as sucky as VM. sprint had to assign someone on their team to handle the complaints on VM. not surprising....but if you think its better; thats fine. whatever floats your boat. for me however this phone is keeping me a customer and i cant wait to buy the phone. it would be interesting to see how it compares to the optimus or the intercept; but the results wont deter me from staying where i am with boost and buying the phone...
    04-06-2011 10:53 PM
    benchmarks are fine and dandy, but for people with crappy phones at this moment-like me and lots of others with boost feature phones(samsung seek; my goodness and the others are pretty crappy)-this phone is a major UPGRADE from what we have, and thats what the phone is created for.

i could care less about ram, screen size (im a girl with small hands anyways), processor, etc., and im sure alot of other boost customers would either;

as long as the phone functions as it should, i get my messages, apps (it runs angry birds better than the optimus does to my surprise), and browse a few web pages im completely fine with that.

now when i do get more money i would upgrade to a contract android with more ooomph if you will.

but this phone isnt designed for that purpose; its to get boost in the ranking with a entry level smart phone. most entry level smart phones have the same features like the optimus and the intercept-nothing more. (slow processors, small screens, little ram, etc.)

we cant expect more because these phones werent created for MORE. and if anything, i think the optimus is smaller or just about the same size as the prevail.

its for the people who can say "hey-i got a android too; and its a damn good one for the price and plan"
    I never said these were crap, I have used an Optimus V and trust me, they're plenty fast I was extremely surprised when I used it. However the lower amount of RAM does look like it won't be doing too well in the Web Browsing department. By the way, they both have the same size screen, 3.2. Samsung just insisted on making it look like a 4 inch device. I am looking into this because when T-Mobile scres me over, I will need a phone to replace,my Nexus, so I looked toward prepaid devices such as the Optimus V. I just insist on knowing how fast or which is faster.

Sent from my Xoom
    04-06-2011 11:24 PM
    I never said these were crap, I have used an Optimus V and trust me, they're plenty fast I was extremely surprised when I used it. However the lower amount of RAM does look like it won't be doing too well in the Web Browsing department. By the way, they both have the same size screen, 3.2. Samsung just insisted on making it look like a 4 inch device. I am looking into this because when T-Mobile scres me over, I will need a phone to replace,my Nexus, so I looked toward prepaid devices such as the Optimus V. I just insist on knowing how fast or which is faster.

Sent from my Xoom
    i was saying the other boost phones are crap. i have seen the optimus and what it can and cant do; and i think that the prevail is similar or close to it...and its ok if it dosent load up pages in a milisecond-thats what laptops are for. i wouldnt expect the prevail to be awesome at loading up webpages in the first place-given the video i watched about it. yes sure its a few seconds slower...but who loads up full webpages on phones anyway? mobile sites shouldnt have a problem on the prevail
    04-07-2011 06:01 PM
    after taking a look at my usage on this phone over the last year, as opposed to to the power of the EVO, the change will be easy. Plus the prevail is so darn small (compared to EVO). And the biggest thing is that my wife is ready to go Android (been working on her for a year+) so we will both have the same thing and i'll be able to help her find out how much goodness comes with Android and the resident google programs (yeah Gmail & Calendar).

Least I forget, my monthly bill for both phones is gonna shrink by half when all is said and done.
    ;-)>>
    04-14-2011 04:49 PM
    i was saying the other boost phones are crap. i have seen the optimus and what it can and cant do; and i think that the prevail is similar or close to it...and its ok if it dosent load up pages in a milisecond-thats what laptops are for. i wouldnt expect the prevail to be awesome at loading up webpages in the first place-given the video i watched about it. yes sure its a few seconds slower...but who loads up full webpages on phones anyway? mobile sites shouldnt have a problem on the prevail
    That's not the point.... no one is going to load up full desktop pages all the time, it's just to give a point of reference, to see how fast it is compared to other low end devices, to see how fast or slow it is. Which in my opinion, I think the Optimus series is still the fastest.

Sent from my Xoom
    04-14-2011 05:26 PM
    ok so the optimus is faster; ...>.>

....ok white flag u win geez

personally i dont think people will care much really, if at all.

im just excited for the new phone, im sure we can all agree with that.
    soberjon likes this.
    04-14-2011 10:03 PM
    I'm looking at perhaps picking up the Boost Prevail, and dropping T-Mobile.

I'm in a 2G only T-Mobile area, and with Boost, I'd get 3G and save $40+ per month with their $50 Unlimited plan.

On the other hand, I'm also considering Virgin as was suggested by a few others.

I'm curious as to whether anyone thinks CM7 would ever be flashed onto a simple Android phone like this. My Nook Color is loving CM7.
    04-18-2011 08:32 PM
    Don't know who plans to develop for this phone, but if you did go with Virgin Mobile the Optimus V already has CM7.
    04-18-2011 11:59 PM

I'm in a 2G only T-Mobile area, and with Boost, I'd get 3G and save $40+ per month with their $50 Unlimited plan.

On the other hand, I'm also considering Virgin as was suggested by a few others.

I'm curious as to whether anyone thinks CM7 would ever be flashed onto a simple Android phone like this. My Nook Color is loving CM7.
    I have the Optimus V, and am currently running the aospCODcm7 ROM (gingerbread). I'm lovin' it. And I get to brag to my friends who a V and are to scared to root.
    04-23-2011 04:00 AM

Just go with the Optimus V, the more and more I see this device the more and more I ask why Boost and Samsung made such a big deal about it, and smart decision regardless, I am going to be ditching T-Mobile very soon before the deal with AT&T is, maybe going to switch to Virgin Mobile for a bit until Verizon has cheaper plans.

Sent from my Xoom
    04-23-2011 08:36 PM
    I see this phone mainly as an option for those who already have or plan on switching to Boost Mobile. Heck, this would be a huge upgrade for someone on Boost who has been using a Blackberry 8330.
    i totally agree
    04-25-2011 10:02 PM
    Well I was on boost mobile site yesterday checking out this thing, and went back today and it shows a release date for 04/29/11.
    04-27-2011 10:52 AM

Sent from my Xoom
    The optimus only has more ram by a smudge 424MB RAM ( Not internal memory which most people get confused) compared to the Prevail with 384 RAM, a 40MB in a ram isn't going to compromise web browsing ability since the prevail will easily load webpages quicker since it has a 800MHZ Processor compared to the Optimus at 600MHZ. Once the Prevail gets rooted and overclocked were talking 1GHZ Processor which will completely OUTPERFORM the optimus without doubt.

I have a prevail now as im writing this and it by far exceded my expectations. Very quick and resonsive phone. That 40MB ram is not going to make the Optimus faster with its slower processor. The prevail by far has much more potential.

As for the price of the plan it makes no sense to compare a $25 plan with 300 minutes to a $50 plan with UNLIMITED (compared to Virgin Mobile $60 unlimited) MUST I REMIND YOU THERE ON THE EXACT SAME SPRINT CDMA NETWORK. You looked at it the complete wrong way Boost offers shrinkage. So if you remain a customer for some months your plan will get lowered to a minimum of $35. Since you want to compare plans $25 for 300 minutes or $35 for Unlimited. $199 Retail For the Optimus As per virgin mobiles website TODAY or $179 for a Prevail (Which Is a faster phone).

300 MINUTES CAN BE USED UP IN A COUPLE DAYS, then what? your gonna text and email the rest of the month?

Your arguement is weak, the Prevail easily out performs the Optimus and is a much better value for a much better priced plan.

GO GIRLDROID!!
    Brett Alan likes this.
    05-02-2011 07:42 PM
    For those of you who are wondering about performance, go to phonedog.com and read sydney's review. Pay attention to the link about better phones than this one.
    05-06-2011 05:34 PM
    The optimus only has more ram by a smudge 424MB RAM ( Not internal memory which most people get confused) compared to the Prevail with 384 RAM, a 40MB in a ram isn't going to compromise web browsing ability since the prevail will easily load webpages quicker since it has a 800MHZ Processor compared to the Optimus at 600MHZ. Once the Prevail gets rooted and overclocked were talking 1GHZ Processor which will completely OUTPERFORM the optimus without doubt.

I have a prevail now as im writing this and it by far exceded my expectations. Very quick and resonsive phone. That 40MB ram is not going to make the Optimus faster with its slower processor. The prevail by far has much more potential.

As for the price of the plan it makes no sense to compare a $25 plan with 300 minutes to a $50 plan with UNLIMITED (compared to Virgin Mobile $60 unlimited) MUST I REMIND YOU THERE ON THE EXACT SAME SPRINT CDMA NETWORK. You looked at it the complete wrong way Boost offers shrinkage. So if you remain a customer for some months your plan will get lowered to a minimum of $35. Since you want to compare plans $25 for 300 minutes or $35 for Unlimited. $199 Retail For the Optimus As per virgin mobiles website TODAY or $179 for a Prevail (Which Is a faster phone).

300 MINUTES CAN BE USED UP IN A COUPLE DAYS, then what? your gonna text and email the rest of the month?

Your arguement is weak, the Prevail easily out performs the Optimus and is a much better value for a much better priced plan.

GO GIRLDROID!!
    You bring up some really good points here that I dont think people get. Remember there is no mobile to mobile mins FREE and no weeknight free or weekends. So 300 mins can go real fast. I opted for the 60 plan only because im a talker. So for my needs as the shaddy 3G service I can live with the current Opt V. on VM. It serves it needs, and I dont care about flash. If this phone was around when I did the jump ship from Verape'em then I would have chose boost for this phone and the shrinkage they offer. So for 35 bucks you cant beat the deal in the long run. Virgin 25 bucks deal is NOT for a someone who uses the cell side for calls, txt and data is what this caters too. The 60 is a bit steep. but at the time for what it is and im NOT locked into some murder contract with Fees that no mere mortal can explain. Pre-paid in my view is the way to go. This is coming from someone who has has the same number and carrier for 15 years. I should have done this years ago. I would have been money ahead. Not to mention, I get MORE features and service for less money. Unlimited everything. I mean how the heck can you beat that? Im a business person, so I can really attest to the overall value. I guess you have to step back and look at what you really need, and what your looking to get out of it. Boost plan is better than VM in terms of unlimited. I mean for 25 to 35 your 10 more bucks and you free to do what ever and not worry about "burning up the mins"
    As soon as I can source this phone im getting one for my wife. Never ever ever will I be on a contract.
    My final words to the you know who, Oh I hear you now, can you hear me? See ya later suckers!
    05-09-2011 06:09 PM
    I owned a Samsung Galaxy Prevail it way better than Optimus V after purchasing 2 Optimus V the 3g outage sucks never works, so I returned both on 2 different occasions. The Prevail is more dependable and faster.Believe me I know from experienceˇ!!!!
    05-21-2011 03:56 PM
    After 15+ years with Verizon, we are terminating our contract August 1. We love our phones (Fascinate and Droid 1) and the service is unimpeachable. BUT, even with a 25% government employee discount, the charges for our plan, fees, etc. are absolutely ridiculous. We just bought two Prevails and went with Boost for $50/month per phone for unlimited talk, text, and mobile. Will we miss Verizon's awesome coverage? Without a doubt. But saving over $100/month will help us be more than forgiving. And, what it we decide in six months to switch? No problemo.
    07-22-2011 09:26 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD