No Root on Prevail?

konazxiii

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
My friend just jumped into Android with this device after seeing what Android and I can do on my Captivate.

Thing is, he can't do anything he wants to do w/o root access, and research is showing this phone hasn't been rooted yet (that I know of). The source code is out there, I guess people just aren't interested?

Does anyone have any tips unlocking the true power of Android on the Prevail?

overthinkingme

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
The phone is hard to get. If normal consumers can barely get it, a dev getting it is going to take some chance and patience. I hope it's sooner than later though

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

Reactions: konazxiii

anon58445

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
I just ordered 11 of these from my local store. Got tired of big red raping and nickle and diming me every month.
i would love to be able to root them when they come in. hopefully someone figures it out soon.

Shabbypenguin

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
its possible, its just samsung really did a number on this thing. we hit a bunch of roadblocks in the irc channel ( irc.fossnet.info #prevail) basically we need a stock zimage (not gunna happen without root), a leaked odin .tar, or some new exploit....

konazxiii

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
It's strange that the whole of the (top end) Galaxy S line was/is kids stuff to crack...but the Prevail?- That particular model has to be locked town tight. lol

rrspikes

May 15, 2011
Visit site
its possible, its just samsung really did a number on this thing. we hit a bunch of roadblocks in the irc channel ( irc.fossnet.info #prevail) basically we need a stock zimage (not gunna happen without root), a leaked odin .tar, or some new exploit....

Is this because this is a Boost Mobile phone only?

mojosingle

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I just ordered 11 of these from my local store. Got tired of big red raping and nickle and diming me every month.
i would love to be able to root them when they come in. hopefully someone figures it out soon.
11 phones?!! What the heck are you using 11 phones for? :D

If rooting is/becomes available I would simply want to remove all of the unneccessary software installed by Boost that evidently cannot currently be removed. It's taking up valuable space on an already limited memory device such as this.

anon58445

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
11 phones?!! What the heck are you using 11 phones for? :D

If rooting is/becomes available I would simply want to remove all of the unneccessary software installed by Boost that evidently cannot currently be removed. It's taking up valuable space on an already limited memory device such as this.
business account. I shut down my verizon corporate account. They were raping me every month, so I purchased 11 prevail's, and 13 motorola ramblers.
My monthly bill went down more than half.

buckley.mark52

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
Bricked the phone
I tried to root my prevail, worked for a few days. but all it would do was restart,,Reboot to the screen that says
Samsung Galaxy prevail that is all it would do.
Had to go buy another one, Lucky for me, Walmart had it on sale for 60.00
won't try that again.

anyone having problems seeing the sd card? what is it listed as when it's hooked up to the computer?
thanks
buckley.mark52

sblood86

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Bricked the phone
I tried to root my prevail, worked for a few days. but all it would do was restart,,Reboot to the screen that says
Samsung Galaxy prevail that is all it would do.
Had to go buy another one, Lucky for me, Walmart had it on sale for 60.00
won't try that again.

anyone having problems seeing the sd card? what is it listed as when it's hooked up to the computer?
thanks
buckley.mark52

If you properly followed the rooting instructions for the prevail there is no chance of causing a Brick... Unfortunately not many people seem to support the prevail on AC so for any up to date rooting instructions I would have to say check out AndroidForums, I hate sending someone to an alternate forum but I'm also not going to repost all their walk-throughs.

If for some reason the phone will not boot at some point it should still get into Odin/Downloader mode, there are several return to stock and other rom flashes setup to be done through the Odin downloader including at least one w/ custom recovery already built in.

As for your question regarding seeing the phone from the computer, the prevail seems to have some serious issues communicating w/ windows 7. It's common that w/ a lot of devices you will have to disable driver signature enforcement in order to connect to things such as ADB, for the prevail I've found it's necessary just to mount the dang thing. You might try shutting your computer down, than during boot up tap the F8 key until you get the Windows Advanced Boot Options menu, scroll down to disable driver signature enforcement and boot from there. See if your phone will communicate after that.

Welcome to Android Central and good luck w/ your issues.

Edit: As for ZergRush it's very possible that it could work as it is proven to work on many gingerbread distributions as is. If you are feeling lazy you can also check out the Sons Of Korhal root utility, this is written by Drew Walton of Team Hydro and is non-device specific, so as long as your phone is communicating w/ your PC properly via ADB it should work. But to my knowledge it has not been tested, so if you do give it a shot let's us know your results please.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC