My friend just jumped into Android with this device after seeing what Android and I can do on my Captivate.

Thing is, he can't do anything he wants to do w/o root access, and research is showing this phone hasn't been rooted yet (that I know of). The source code is out there, I guess people just aren't interested?

Does anyone have any tips unlocking the true power of Android on the Prevail?
    05-16-2011 10:14 AM
    The phone is hard to get. If normal consumers can barely get it, a dev getting it is going to take some chance and patience. I hope it's sooner than later though

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk
    konazxiii likes this.
    05-17-2011 01:54 AM
    Give Gingerbreak,, Super One Click A Try
    05-17-2011 11:34 AM
    Most of the info I've read says neither of those work on the Prevail. Have you confirmed it works?
    05-17-2011 01:01 PM
    Tried z4 and Gingerbreak.. no go.
    05-18-2011 05:15 AM
    I just ordered 11 of these from my local store. Got tired of big red raping and nickle and diming me every month.
    i would love to be able to root them when they come in. hopefully someone figures it out soon.
    05-18-2011 11:04 AM
    Do you know If prevail havent been rooted yet or you think it never will?
    05-18-2011 01:14 PM
    Pretty sure no one has, yet.
    05-18-2011 02:31 PM
    its possible, its just samsung really did a number on this thing. we hit a bunch of roadblocks in the irc channel ( irc.fossnet.info #prevail) basically we need a stock zimage (not gunna happen without root), a leaked odin .tar, or some new exploit....
    05-24-2011 01:54 AM
    It's strange that the whole of the (top end) Galaxy S line was/is kids stuff to crack...but the Prevail?- That particular model has to be locked town tight. lol
    05-24-2011 09:39 AM
    Anyone hear anything new?
    05-25-2011 12:34 PM
    its possible, its just samsung really did a number on this thing. we hit a bunch of roadblocks in the irc channel ( irc.fossnet.info #prevail) basically we need a stock zimage (not gunna happen without root), a leaked odin .tar, or some new exploit....
    Is this because this is a Boost Mobile phone only?
    05-25-2011 02:31 PM
    I just ordered 11 of these from my local store. Got tired of big red raping and nickle and diming me every month.
    i would love to be able to root them when they come in. hopefully someone figures it out soon.
    11 phones?!! What the heck are you using 11 phones for?

If rooting is/becomes available I would simply want to remove all of the unneccessary software installed by Boost that evidently cannot currently be removed. It's taking up valuable space on an already limited memory device such as this.
    06-01-2011 11:51 AM
    Aren't those on the system partition though?

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk
    06-01-2011 12:36 PM
    11 phones?!! What the heck are you using 11 phones for?

If rooting is/becomes available I would simply want to remove all of the unneccessary software installed by Boost that evidently cannot currently be removed. It's taking up valuable space on an already limited memory device such as this.
    business account. I shut down my verizon corporate account. They were raping me every month, so I purchased 11 prevail's, and 13 motorola ramblers.
    My monthly bill went down more than half.
    06-01-2011 07:20 PM
    Yay prevail is rooted
    06-08-2011 01:34 PM
    Link for the lazy?
    06-08-2011 03:36 PM
    Bricked the phone
    I tried to root my prevail, worked for a few days. but all it would do was restart,,Reboot to the screen that says
    Samsung Galaxy prevail that is all it would do.
    Had to go buy another one, Lucky for me, Walmart had it on sale for 60.00
    won't try that again.

anyone having problems seeing the sd card? what is it listed as when it's hooked up to the computer?
    thanks
    buckley.mark52
    11-27-2011 06:51 AM
    You guys should try zergrush. Its a pretty new exploit and it works on most samsungs and sony erricsons
    11-27-2011 11:12 AM
    Bricked the phone
    I tried to root my prevail, worked for a few days. but all it would do was restart,,Reboot to the screen that says
    Samsung Galaxy prevail that is all it would do.
    Had to go buy another one, Lucky for me, Walmart had it on sale for 60.00
    won't try that again.

anyone having problems seeing the sd card? what is it listed as when it's hooked up to the computer?
    thanks
    buckley.mark52
    If you properly followed the rooting instructions for the prevail there is no chance of causing a Brick... Unfortunately not many people seem to support the prevail on AC so for any up to date rooting instructions I would have to say check out AndroidForums, I hate sending someone to an alternate forum but I'm also not going to repost all their walk-throughs.

If for some reason the phone will not boot at some point it should still get into Odin/Downloader mode, there are several return to stock and other rom flashes setup to be done through the Odin downloader including at least one w/ custom recovery already built in.

As for your question regarding seeing the phone from the computer, the prevail seems to have some serious issues communicating w/ windows 7. It's common that w/ a lot of devices you will have to disable driver signature enforcement in order to connect to things such as ADB, for the prevail I've found it's necessary just to mount the dang thing. You might try shutting your computer down, than during boot up tap the F8 key until you get the Windows Advanced Boot Options menu, scroll down to disable driver signature enforcement and boot from there. See if your phone will communicate after that.

Welcome to Android Central and good luck w/ your issues.

Edit: As for ZergRush it's very possible that it could work as it is proven to work on many gingerbread distributions as is. If you are feeling lazy you can also check out the Sons Of Korhal root utility, this is written by Drew Walton of Team Hydro and is non-device specific, so as long as your phone is communicating w/ your PC properly via ADB it should work. But to my knowledge it has not been tested, so if you do give it a shot let's us know your results please.
    11-27-2011 02:17 PM
    Just go here and use shabby method it bullet proof and super easy once you have the drivers installed on your pc for the phone. [ACS] One Click Root Samsung Prevail/Replenish Shabbyfied - Android Forums

BY the way this works on new OVA update and does not wipe your data. Make sure to UNMOUNT THE sd card and remove it from the phone, usb debug on. Run the program with usb cable attached to phone hit enter on PC and bingo phone will reboot. If it gets stuck on samsung screen and is vibrating, just remove the battery, reboot and your have successful root, put the sd card back in and your good to go. I had to do it twice to get it to work.
    12-26-2011 12:23 AM
    I Had to send my phone back to samsung I had 2.1(froyo) I believe. When I got the phone back they replaced the motherboard and gave me 2.3.5 Gingerbread. Trying to root and update binary all blocked. Anyone figure this out yet?!
    01-05-2012 12:02 AM
    Just go here and use shabby method it bullet proof and super easy once you have the drivers installed on your pc for the phone. [ACS] One Click Root Samsung Prevail/Replenish Shabbyfied - Android Forums

BY the way this works on new OVA update and does not wipe your data. Make sure to UNMOUNT THE sd card and remove it from the phone, usb debug on. Run the program with usb cable attached to phone hit enter on PC and bingo phone will reboot. If it gets stuck on samsung screen and is vibrating, just remove the battery, reboot and your have successful root, put the sd card back in and your good to go. I had to do it twice to get it to work.
    I couldnt get.it to work I had to use odin

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Android Central Forums
    10-04-2012 09:30 AM
    I actually used both, that one click root & Odin because at first I couldn't get Odin to work & I'm running windows vista but I knew what the problem was. Long story short my prevail glitched, had the weird question mark symbol on my battery icon. Then the error 67 something about registration was wrong but all this happened after I did the Odin. Ended up getting a free replacement but I'm using my wifi run optimus, amazing that I can still use this without the sprint network

Sent from my LG-LS670 using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2
    03-20-2013 01:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD