Struggling to block a website

MikeyBugs95

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
I'm trying to block Dropbox with Chrome but can seem to be able to do it. I've tried using apps and have had some success with one until I had to stop when they started charging for the feature. I've tried the ES File Explorer but every time I edited the host file and tried to save it, an error message would pop up saying that it couldn't be saved. I don't know what to do. I'm thinking about attempting to see if I could plug my phone into my computer and try to edit the host file that way but I don't know if I can.

I'm using a LG G3 with 6.0.

Posted via the Android Central App

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
It would be great if you could explain what (and why) you are trying to accomplish.

As to the error when trying to save the Hosts file, one assumes this means that root permission is required to do so.

MikeyBugs95

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
I thought I did explain what I was trying to do. I was trying to block the Dropbox website. And because I want to. And after a couple tries I figured it was because my phone isn't rooted... But wasn't sure. Thanks I guess.

Posted via the Android Central App

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I guess the point is - and I am only offering this by way of general advice, not because I am challenging you - why do you want to block Dropbox?

Do you think you have a virus or something which is accessing Dropbox without your permission? If so, you need to address the virus, not Dropbox.

Does someone (perhaps a youngster) use your phone and access Dropbox without your permission? Well, there are many ways to access Dropbox that do not need a browser - the Dropbox app, for one. Not to mention any of a dozen other browsers which can be easily installed.

So, blocking Dropbox in Chrome will have little overall effect.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Your best bet is to password protect the Chrome app or any other app that can access Chrome. Therese apps you can get to accomplish this.

If that's not what you are looking for then give us more information as suggested above.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34