Enterprise Email Solution?

seanoj

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
My company want to stop supporting android phone access to email in favor of just Blackberry (makes sense) and iOS (makes no sense).

Is there an enterprise quality email solution for email that is on par with what iOS (iPhone) offers? We used to support GoodLink for Palm, but I think that has been dropped.

Blackberry Mobile Fusion? Good Technology? MobileIron?

-Sean

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry, but your company wants to stop supporting access for the majority of smartphones on the market.... and this makes sense? Umm... how? There are plenty of viable email clients for Android, including the stock Email.apk. If they are running an MS Exchange server, this gets really funny.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
My company uses TouchDown (in our case combined with MobileIron, but I honestly think this is a HUGE mistake).

TouchDown basically creates a secure bubble within Android that your company's Outlook administrator can manage. They can set heavy password requirements, require encryption, periodic password changes, remote wipe, yadda yadda yadda. All of those policies apply to the TouchDown application only.

You leave the company or lose your phone, you contact the company and your outlook administrator emails a wipe code to TouchDown. TouchDown goes nuclear on its data store (similar to the way BlackBerry works) and all corporate data is off the phone. In the meantime, every attachment you save is saved encrypted on the SD card and is unreadable except from within the TouchDown app.

It's like having a little BlackBerry sit inside your Android.

You can then decide what you want to do with your PERSONAL data in terms of protection, since that's outside the TouchDown bubble. Run it naked, use a PIN, or a full-on password. Your choice.

Combining it with MobileIron means that you need to unlock the phone any time you want to use the phone, and that means that ALL the time you are using the phone, TouchDown is in a less secure state, since TouchDown does not have its own independent password.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry, but your company wants to stop supporting access for the majority of smartphones on the market.... and this makes sense? Umm... how? There are plenty of viable email clients for Android, including the stock Email.apk. If they are running an MS Exchange server, this gets really funny.

At our company, they wanted to replace our BlackBerries with iPhones,and under pressure they finally added Androids to the mix. To this day, the people who run the project will make comments about the "inherent security" of iPhone as compared to Android, and the Androids are under a much more restrictive security model.

seanoj

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
The below is what the admins want:

- "wiping" of all data on these devices by the company
- password enforcement of a minimum of 6 characters
- timeout lock of 15 minutes
- auto-reset of phone after 10 incorrect password attempts

Would touchdown work for this?

Gonna check out all suggestions when I can get on a real computer.

bclinger#IM

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Yes. The company I work has the time set at 5 minutes. PIN access with the password change enforce every 3 months. As for attachments, pretty good protection there. It is running on my Note 3/8/10.1 2014. It will also wipe and reset the phone after 10 tries.

Sent via my Note 8

Concept96Ltd

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

In fairness, some companies see the 'security issues' with Android as being a reason to prefer Blackberry or iOS - it's all about sensitive data being leaked. Although there's little research actually into it.

eshall

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
I am new to the side by side world too. I would like a to find a diesel one as well. The problem that I am finding is that nobody makes one that will keep up with the gas ones. I have been looking at the Intimidator web site, and I think one of these and a turbo retrofitted on would make a snappy*

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20