Play Store Auto-Update Apps on a new Account

eggdashure

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Hello all,

I have an interesting question I'm hoping someone can assist with. We are an Android shop, health-care facility (Yay HIPAA!) and I am in charge of phone deployment, management and security. We do NOT use BYOD in our environment, we purchase devices and service from Verizon and then manipulate the devices for deployment using our MDM. We then apply specific apps like a Launcher and AppLocker to lock down our devices (on top of device encryption). This is all so we remain HIPAA compliant and can control any potential breaches. We are currently using Samsung Galaxy S3's. Being that we purchase the devices as a company, we do get them back from users after they leave the organization and re-deploy to new employees.

What I want to be able to do is Clear Data on individual apps (such as Email and VPN) and re-provision the device for the next user without starting from scratch. Where I am getting wrapped around the axle is adding a fresh Google Account on the phone...that's easy, but as I am not removing the apps from the device and re installing them, how do I get Play Store apps to accept them with the new account?

Put another way outside of the business world, I set up a phone with my Google account and then give the phone to my wife (who has her own Google/Gmail account). How do I get her account (new to the phone) to see the apps installed on the device and set them up to Auto-Update? I can't seem to find a way to get the Play Store to scan the apps currently on the device. If I search for an app and update it, this triggers the app to store in the account and Auto-Update going forward.

Near as I can tell, adding a Google account to the device treats all installed apps as sideloaded apps, so the 'pointers' are broken.

Additional notes, we lock the Play Store and Settings so only our IT Department can get in to download apps. Our MDM checks to be sure certain apps are installed, but it does not look at the version.

Any thoughts or help is appreciated!

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1