08-05-2020 04:37 AM
49 12
tools
    Did you keep it or move on?
    07-31-2020 03:17 AM
    Still hooked onto my BB9900 bold. Feels nice & durable
    Morty2264 likes this.
    07-31-2020 05:08 AM
    I was a long time Blackberry user. I believe I had 14 different models thru the years. Very bummed about their demise. I went with a OnePlus 7T. While I miss the keyboard, I enjoy the phone. And, still feel like I'm rooting for the "little" guy.
    Very well said. I had only a few BlackBerry devices over the years but definitely miss the company. I loved my white Bold 9780 and my Q10 was phenomenal. I still think the physical keyboard + touchscreen was a wondrous combination.
    07-31-2020 07:58 AM
    Very well said. I had only a few BlackBerry devices over the years but definitely miss the company. I loved my white Bold 9780 and my Q10 was phenomenal. I still think the physical keyboard + touchscreen was a wondrous combination.
    And if we really can't have a dedicated Berry anymore, then it would be nice if we could at least have keyboard add on cases for popular smartphone models.

A BB keyboard case for my S10e would be perfect, I'd retire my KEY2 on the spot
    Morty2264 likes this.
    07-31-2020 10:55 AM
    Looooooooongtime BB user here. I do miss the PKB a bit, but I really miss BB's overall intuitive system and ease of use. Anyway, I moved to the Galaxy S10+ last year when my Motion screen cracked. The battery was getting a bit finicky as well, for a daily driver. After years of sub-par cameras on the BBs, that's the main reason I moved to the Galaxy. I still use, and pay for, BlackBerry Hub because I love the way it handles all my email accounts. I also use the SwiftKey keyboard since it seemed to be the closest I could get to the BB VKB. I don't swipe to type, but I pretty much can't live without being able to swipe left to erase the last word or two. And I still use my Motion to play Pokemon Go when I'm at home. It'll be a sad, sad day when that phone finally dies.
    07-31-2020 12:35 PM
    And if we really can't have a dedicated Berry anymore, then it would be nice if we could at least have keyboard add on cases for popular smartphone models.

A BB keyboard case for my S10e would be perfect, I'd retire my KEY2 on the spot
    Having those kinds of additions/add-ons would be super cool beans!
    07-31-2020 01:31 PM
    I'm with you. Sad demise but have opted for samsung s10 lite - all the memory and storage you need but I miss that keyboard..RIP BB - sold my key one for £180 second hand so the interest is still there
    07-31-2020 02:56 PM
    Bold>Torch>Z10>Q5>Z30>Passport>Passport SE>Priv>KeyONE... now OnePlus 7T and very happy!
    the_boon likes this.
    07-31-2020 04:51 PM
    Hi there, I think most people on this forum including myself will suggest the pixel 3A series. Very affordable, excellent cameras on the pixel phones of course, stock clean Android build. And of course Google pixel phones get the fastest software they straight from Google!
    The 4a is being announced on Monday, but I don't know if it's available to buy then or if it's just the announcement. I've read that the price might also drop from $399 to $350. But it doesn't have an SD card, and I think the battery is only 3,140 mAh.
    07-31-2020 09:51 PM
    Bold>Torch>Z10>Q5>Z30>Passport>Passport SE>Priv>KeyONE... now OnePlus 7T and very happy!
    Hi, welcome to AC!
    07-31-2020 10:12 PM
    The 4a is being announced on Monday, but I don't know if it's available to buy then or if it's just the announcement. I've read that the price might also drop from $399 to $350. But it doesn't have an SD card, and I think the battery is only 3,140 mAh.
    Even with those specs though, believe me, it'll still be a very capable Android phone!
    Apple2Droid likes this.
    08-01-2020 06:34 AM
    Just bought the A71. Highly recommend. Has headphone jack and expandable storage!
    Great choice!
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-01-2020 07:06 AM
    Even with those specs though, believe me, it'll still be a very capable Android phone!
    Agreed. I will really miss wireless charging though
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-01-2020 11:50 AM
    But it doesn't have an SD card, and I think the battery is only 3,140 mAh.
    Remember that the 3a got remarkably good battery life out of a 3000 mAh battery, presumably due to software optimization, so I'd guess the 4a will be the same if not better.
    Apple2Droid and Laura Knotek like this.
    08-01-2020 12:04 PM
    TCL 10 Pro might be worth considering as well: https://www.tcl.com/us/en/products/mobile/tcl-10-pro
    And we have a winner!

THANK YOU for all of the replies! Heck, my first post even led to an article on the homepage? Good stuff.

I decided on the TCL Pro 10. The customizable smart key was really a dealbreaker for me, so I pulled the trigger when I saw Best Buy was offering it for $379 brand new. I picked one for me to replace my Red Key2 and one for my wife to replace her Key2LE. Both will be going to the crackberry marketplace and/or ebay when the 10 Pros arrive.

Battery, headphone jack, expandable storage, amoled screen, quality cameras, metal frame...it just ticks so many boxes! I am also anticipating a rather easy transition since I have technically been using TCL hardware for a few years now with the KEYone and KEY2.

Cheers everyone!
    B. Diddy and Laura Knotek like this.
    08-01-2020 12:11 PM
    Thank everyone for the help! I decided to go with the TCL Pro 10, which will be arriving on Monday. Best buy had a sale ($379 brand new) and I could not turn that down. It checks basically every box, including the customizable smartkey (3 actions!!), 4500mah battery, headphone jack, SD card slot, amoled display, etc, etc. I think I will be very happy with this purchase. It even uses the outer edges as a notification LED!

For those that recommended the Titan. I tried it and sold it. Too heavy, terrible camera, and a keyboard that just wasn't up to par with what I am used to.
    Morty2264 and Laura Knotek like this.
    08-01-2020 12:17 PM
    Hey guys! I'm a regular over at crackberry. I have come to the conclusion that there are no new keyboard devices on the horizon and I would like to sell my RED Key2 while it still has value. I'm not fully ready to give up the pkb, but I know my time is running out. Any recommendations on a new phone that meets the list below? Thanks for your help!
    1. Customizable convenience key
    2. 6GB / 128 GB with micro SD (exFAT compatible)
    3. 6+ inch AMOLED screen
    4. Quality cameras, something I have never really had since the PRIV (at best).
    5. $500ish price range.
    6. Android 10
    7. snapdragon 66x or better
    8. 4000mah battery or better
    9. Fingerprint sensor
    10. Stereo speakers
    11. Headphone jack
    12. Notification LED
    13. Metal / nonglass frame
    Congrats on the Pro 10 and be sure to post the review here too....
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-01-2020 03:32 PM
    Thank everyone for the help! I decided to go with the TCL Pro 10, which will be arriving on Monday. Best buy had a sale ($379 brand new) and I could not turn that down. It checks basically every box, including the customizable smartkey (3 actions!!), 4500mah battery, headphone jack, SD card slot, amoled display, etc, etc. I think I will be very happy with this purchase. It even uses the outer edges as a notification LED!

For those that recommended the Titan. I tried it and sold it. Too heavy, terrible camera, and a keyboard that just wasn't up to par with what I am used to.
    What a gorgeous-looking phone! It sounds like it will serve you well! Happy Phone Weekend! Let us know when it arrives and how you are liking it!
    Apple2Droid and Laura Knotek like this.
    08-01-2020 04:21 PM
    I decided on the TCL Pro 10.
    Definitely give us a report on the phone when you get it! I've read plenty of reviews, but am curious how it is in the real world. It looks like a great value!
    Laura Knotek and Morty2264 like this.
    08-01-2020 08:02 PM
    And we have a winner!

THANK YOU for all of the replies! Heck, my first post even led to an article on the homepage? Good stuff.

I decided on the TCL Pro 10. The customizable smart key was really a dealbreaker for me, so I pulled the trigger when I saw Best Buy was offering it for $379 brand new. I picked one for me to replace my Red Key2 and one for my wife to replace her Key2LE. Both will be going to the crackberry marketplace and/or ebay when the 10 Pros arrive.

Battery, headphone jack, expandable storage, amoled screen, quality cameras, metal frame...it just ticks so many boxes! I am also anticipating a rather easy transition since I have technically been using TCL hardware for a few years now with the KEYone and KEY2.

Cheers everyone!
    Man, the day I'd move on from my KEY2... I know I'd wanna keep it anyways even as a secondary device and also for nostalgic reasons.

It's always good to have a backup phone regardless of what you have as a primary.
    08-01-2020 10:56 PM
    I still use my KEY2 LE, and I don't want to give it up. Will use one until it breaks or becomes unusable. I'll switch to either Unihertz Titan or whatever they'll release next (They seem to be updating their old devices like Jelly or Atom with newer versions) or something from TCL. Having double-bluetooth and a customizable key features is amazing
    08-02-2020 07:49 AM
    Man, the day I'd move on from my KEY2... I know I'd wanna keep it anyways even as a secondary device and also for nostalgic reasons.

It's always good to have a backup phone regardless of what you have as a primary.
    I would hold on to it...but it's too valuable!
    the_boon likes this.
    08-02-2020 10:43 AM
    I would hold on to it...but it's too valuable!
    Right, so I'd sell that one because it's Red and then use a small portion of that money towards a cheap KEY2 or LE as a backup/secondary. Those that don't come with their box and original accessories typically go for a lot less on Swappa and eBay.
    08-02-2020 02:24 PM
    Looooooooongtime BB user here. I do miss the PKB a bit, but I really miss BB's overall intuitive system and ease of use. Anyway, I moved to the Galaxy S10+ last year when my Motion screen cracked. The battery was getting a bit finicky as well, for a daily driver. After years of sub-par cameras on the BBs, that's the main reason I moved to the Galaxy. I still use, and pay for, BlackBerry Hub because I love the way it handles all my email accounts. I also use the SwiftKey keyboard since it seemed to be the closest I could get to the BB VKB. I don't swipe to type, but I pretty much can't live without being able to swipe left to erase the last word or two. And I still use my Motion to play Pokemon Go when I'm at home. It'll be a sad, sad day when that phone finally dies.
    I am using SwiftKey myself now after testing multiple keyboards since my 10 Pro arrived. I am still ridiculously slow and in accurate now, but SwiftKey has the best autocorrect (I hate that I need that now) and many of the bb vkb features like swipe to delete a word. I even installed the bb vkb, but it's future is uncertain at the least. I will adjust to this in time.

The pro 10 is lovely. It has been nice relearning gesture controls like back in the bb10 days. I'm currently using swipe up to home, swipe up and hold for recents, and swipe up from the bottom left/right for back. This seems to work better than Google's navigation. Back from the side doesn't play nicely in apps with edges.

The screen is awesome on this thing and the build quality in general is top notch. I'm impressed by what TCL is doing on their own now. Looking forward to continued use!
    08-05-2020 04:37 AM
49 12