What's Android's most "reliable" phone?

Elarionus

Jul 2, 2020
Visit site
I recently purchased a Pixel 3aXL, and the updates for the phone come extremely fast. Between the little ones and the large ones, like Android 11, all sorts of stuff on my phone breaks, whether it's media controls and Spotify with Android 11 (seems to be pretty common from google search), all the way to the entire home screen sometimes missing the Google Feed.

This all culminated with me missing several massive things because the notification system in Android 11 has somehow changed. I like seeing notification history. It allows me to see that my Calendar notification and Google Assistant reminders are sometimes firing up to TWO HOURS late. It has royally screwed me twice now, and has minorly screwed me 9 or 10 times.

I moved from Samsung to Pixel because I wanted the "pure" android experience. But now, I feel like a beta tester for a system that's becoming more and more of a joke. I don't want to move to Apple because of their restrictiveness (even though I feel like they might be more reliable). I mainly want to find out which manufacturer takes the time to make sure everything works properly before forcibly chucking it at their users.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Apple. I'm not trying to turn you away or push you off but to get everything you asked for, especially that last thing, Apple is probably the best at that. One thing every Apple user says is "Apple it works".

I hear so many rave about Pixel devices, and like you, they tout early and frequent updates.

I wonder if there could be more going on here though. I haven't seen many with the same complaints as you and I wonder what other Pixel 3 users have to say?

If it turns out that your issues could be solved would you want to keep the device, or are you set to move on?

There is a Pixel 3 & Pixel 3XL thread here where you might get input about specific issues and solutions. I'm sure a moderator would move this thread if you asked them to. Or you could visit the forum here and see some of the other threads for yourself... https://forums.androidcentral.com/google-pixel-3-pixel-3-xl/

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I recently purchased a Pixel 3aXL, and the updates for the phone come extremely fast. Between the little ones and the large ones, like Android 11, all sorts of stuff on my phone breaks, whether it's media controls and Spotify with Android 11 (seems to be pretty common from google search), all the way to the entire home screen sometimes missing the Google Feed.

This all culminated with me missing several massive things because the notification system in Android 11 has somehow changed. I like seeing notification history. It allows me to see that my Calendar notification and Google Assistant reminders are sometimes firing up to TWO HOURS late. It has royally screwed me twice now, and has minorly screwed me 9 or 10 times.

I moved from Samsung to Pixel because I wanted the "pure" android experience. But now, I feel like a beta tester for a system that's becoming more and more of a joke. I don't want to move to Apple because of their restrictiveness (even though I feel like they might be more reliable). I mainly want to find out which manufacturer takes the time to make sure everything works properly before forcibly chucking it at their users.

From my pixel experience over 3 years of constant updates, I learned that turning the phone off then back on (not restarting) 3 or 4 times after an update really helped stop any update problems. The pixels don't have a cache partition you can wipe, but they automatically do a cache partition wipe of sorts every time they're turned off and back on. Turning them off and on frequently helps a lot. I never had any issue last more than one restart, and I've never had to do a factory reset over the 3 years I've owned my pixel.....and it's still working flawlessly.

For me it has been the most reliable android I've ever owned ;) If you want a reliable android phone and aren't concerned about a lot of updates, Moto phones can be extremely reliable. I've owned several, and my wife's currently running the heck out of a G6, she's merciless on that thing with the apps and it's a tank..... supremely reliable. One big reason is it doesn't get a lot of updates, but because of that everything just keeps working. I think you'd be happy with a G7 or G8.... solid well built premium feeling phones that are reliable, well priced tanks. Stay away from moto's flagships though, their cutting edge phones tend to have lots of teething problems.

Oct 14, 2020
Visit site
I have read somewhere about the Google Pixel 4a which is the best Android phone and comes at a reasonable price. I am also using an Android version phone. I don't think Apple is better than Android. Apple just gives camera clarity and nothing else.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I have read somewhere about the Google Pixel 4a which is the best Android phone and comes at a reasonable price. I am also using an Android version phone. I don't think Apple is better than Android. Apple just gives camera clarity and nothing else.

I hope my comments weren't taken to mean that Apple is the best. They work, but they work because Apple controls everything in their environment. They work maybe a little better than most Androids because they own and produce their devices. Where as with Android everyone makes devices running it. The Pixel should be a little better because they are produced if not by, then for, the OS developer.

Not the best, just good at what they do...

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
I can't say that the Pixel 4a is THE best Android phone not having used every Android model phone, but my wife and I really like our Pixel 4a's. We went from Blackberry phones to the P4a's and don't regret it one bit. Being able to buy two for $700 total was a big plus. Having full Google/Android features without bloat is another positive along with dumping ATT and going with Google Fi saving us around $35 a month for cell service along with having wifi calling.
All in all, for us, the Pixel 4a is the best value out there.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
My opinion Samsung is the most reliable.

Personally been with Samsung since my S3 in 2012 and I wouldn't switch to another brand, I've yet to buy an unreliable Samsung product. I'm still using my 2012 Note 10 as an alarm clock and my 2013 Note 3 for casting Netflix to a TV. Software wise Samsung may be slow to release an update for the latest Android version but it's also very polished. Only version I recall there being issues with was 5.0

Also worked at Verizon 2012-2016 and the Samsung phones never had many issues, LG and Moto were both more prone to hardware failure. On the other side of the fence iOS always had a lot of problems during a new software update. The new iOS version would bring a bunch of bugs and as they patched them introduce more but the hardware had few issues.

And I've thought for a couple years now that Pixel users are basically beta testers, it feels like there are far more articles about issues with their updates, the other OEMs get the benefit of updating their phones after Google patches Android.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
My opinion Samsung is the most reliable.

Personally been with Samsung since my S3 in 2012 and I wouldn't switch to another brand, I've yet to buy an unreliable Samsung product. I'm still using my 2012 Note 10 as an alarm clock and my 2013 Note 3 for casting Netflix to a TV. Software wise Samsung may be slow to release an update for the latest Android version but it's also very polished. Only version I recall there being issues with was 5.0

Also worked at Verizon 2012-2016 and the Samsung phones never had many issues, LG and Moto were both more prone to hardware failure. On the other side of the fence iOS always had a lot of problems during a new software update. The new iOS version would bring a bunch of bugs and as they patched them introduce more but the hardware had few issues.

And I've thought for a couple years now that Pixel users are basically beta testers, it feels like there are far more articles about issues with their updates, the other OEMs get the benefit of updating their phones after Google patches Android.

I think you have a typo (my 2012 Note 10)

I agree that other OEMs get the benefit of updating their phones after Google patches Android, however that mostly applies to beta testers.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Artistnos