I'm eligible for an upgrade through Sprint / T-Mobile. I currently have the Pixel 4 XL. I'm not sure what phone I should get because I don't like the Pixel 5 phone itself, but I love the pure Google experience.

The things that are most important to me are the following in no order:

Large screen
    Battery life
    Pure google
    Loud speakers

I could care less about the camera, for me all the smartphone cameras have been good enough for the last 5 years.

I was originally deciding to go with the OnePlus 8T which from what I understand is very close to pure Google. Then I started thinking about going with the note 20 ultra and somehow pixelizing it, but without having an unlocked bootloader that might be a problem. I have no use for the S pen, but I figured if I'm going to go Samsung route I may as well get the best.

Do any of you have any recommendations or thoughts?
    11-08-2020 07:08 PM
    I'm eligible for an upgrade through Sprint / T-Mobile. I currently have the Pixel 4 XL. I'm not sure what phone I should get because I don't like the Pixel 5 phone itself, but I love the pure Google experience.

The things that are most important to me are the following in no order:

Large screen
    Battery life
    Pure google
    Loud speakers

I could care less about the camera, for me all the smartphone cameras have been good enough for the last 5 years.

I was originally deciding to go with the OnePlus 8T which from what I understand is very close to pure Google. Then I started thinking about going with the note 20 ultra and somehow pixelizing it, but without having an unlocked bootloader that might be a problem. I have no use for the S pen, but I figured if I'm going to go Samsung route I may as well get the best.

Do any of you have any recommendations or thoughts?
    I was suggesting Galaxy S20FE, but it won't be pure Google. I mean sure you could put the pixel launcher on it, but as far as software updates, I still don't know how timely Samsung is for their Android updates... You're on the right track with the OnePlus 8T though. I mean between one plus, and Samsung, I would suggest the one plus one. You will get more timely updates, and it's more near stock Google than Samsung is. I really hope this helps you out a little bit...
    11-08-2020 07:12 PM
    Nokia 8.3, maybe? But that only has a mono speaker.

I know there's a separate thread about the Pixel 5 speakers, but in my limited experience (I just got one for my wife), the main speakers are plenty loud -- it's just that the top speaker is definitely not as loud as the bottom one, so stereo sound doesn't seem balanced.
    11-08-2020 07:16 PM
    Nokia 8.3, maybe? But that only has a mono speaker.

I know there's a separate thread about the Pixel 5 speakers, but in my limited experience (I just got one for my wife), the main speakers are plenty loud -- it's just that the top speaker is definitely not as loud as the bottom one, so stereo sound doesn't seem balanced.
    A guy I work with has an S10 plus, and he can listen to the same thing that I am, and his is so much louder than mine on my Pixel 4 XL. Even my call volume I can barely hear somebody on the other end. I used his phone to make a call the other day and I was amazed at how loud it was. I don't know if my phone is just a old and dirty or what. And I don't know if the Pixel 5 would be loud enough. however there's so many more things I don't like about the Pixel 5. For starters the battery, the screen size, the underpowered processor, the lack of 120Hz screen.
    11-08-2020 08:05 PM
    I was suggesting Galaxy S20FE, but it won't be pure Google. I mean sure you could put the pixel launcher on it, but as far as software updates, I still don't know how timely Samsung is for their Android updates... You're on the right track with the OnePlus 8T though. I mean between one plus, and Samsung, I would suggest the one plus one. You will get more timely updates, and it's more near stock Google than Samsung is. I really hope this helps you out a little bit...
    The FE seems like a nice phone, but if I was going to go Samsung route, I'd go with one of more of their premium phones.
    11-08-2020 08:08 PM
    The FE seems like a nice phone, but if I was going to go Samsung route, I'd go with one of more of their premium phones.
    Okay, cool, gotcha. That makes sense. I mean I'd suggest the OnePlus 8 pro. Near stock Google experience. And all of the other features that you're looking for overall. I mean unfortunately, there aren't many other choices out there for a near stock Google experience... And with OnePlus, you'll get most of the software updates pretty timely....
    11-08-2020 08:17 PM
    Obviously this is all conjecture at this point, but there's increasing speculation that one of the next Pixels next year might be more formidable spec-wise, using a rumored CPU developed in-house at Google. So you might consider what you get now as a temporary bridge ...
    11-08-2020 08:22 PM
    Okay, cool, gotcha. That makes sense. I mean I'd suggest the OnePlus 8 pro. Near stock Google experience. And all of the other features that you're looking for overall. I mean unfortunately, there aren't many other choices out there for a near stock Google experience... And with OnePlus, you'll get most of the software updates pretty timely....
    I can't get the pro through Sprint they only offer the 8t. But I feel like the 8t is still pretty nice.
    11-08-2020 08:36 PM
    Obviously this is all conjecture at this point, but there's increasing speculation that one of the next Pixels next year might be more formidable spec-wise, using a rumored CPU developed in-house at Google. So you might consider what you get now as a temporary bridge ...
    I get a new phone every 12 months , so if the pixel lineup ends up being what I'm looking for, I'll gladly switch back.
    11-08-2020 08:38 PM
    I guess I'm probably going to go with the 8t. That's kind of what I had in mind anyway.
    11-08-2020 08:39 PM
    I guess I'm probably going to go with the 8t. That's kind of what I had in mind anyway.
    Solid phone, think you'll be happy with it .
    eric002 likes this.
    11-09-2020 01:17 PM
    I think anything from OnePlus 7T and beyond are solid choices.
    11-10-2020 09:47 AM
    11-10-2020 12:53 PM
    A guy I work with has an S10 plus, and he can listen to the same thing that I am, and his is so much louder than mine on my Pixel 4 XL. Even my call volume I can barely hear somebody on the other end. I used his phone to make a call the other day and I was amazed at how loud it was. I don't know if my phone is just a old and dirty or what. And I don't know if the Pixel 5 would be loud enough. however there's so many more things I don't like about the Pixel 5. For starters the battery, the screen size, the underpowered processor, the lack of 120Hz screen.
    That's interesting. I can't address those phones specifically, but I did have a couple of Samsung phones (an S4 and a Note 5 - both flagship phones in their day), which one of the things I always hated about them was how quiet they were with the volume turned all the way up. I've got a Pixel 3 now and it has so much stronger sound than either of my Samsung phones had.
    11-10-2020 04:59 PM
    Based on your primaries one of which you eluded to not being *that* big of a deal (pure Google experience, but open to the Note20 Ultra) I'd suggest the Note10+. You can get it for a lot cheaper than the N20U, and it doesn't have a domino glued to the back like the N20U does. The battery life is insanely good, I have it and the Pixel 5 and just sold a P4XL and it's battery life is FAR better than those (and even better than the N20U which I had for a couple weeks before deciding to send it back)...I can easily get 8+ hours SOT with 20%+ left in the tank. Huge screen, check, loud speakers, check. Only downside is no 90/120hz screen and the screen is curved. I rarely use the s pen myself, I just prefer the boxier and wider aspect ratio of the Notes to the S series.

Also, ignore those saying Sammy doesn't update their phones enough, they obviously haven't used them recently. My Note 10+ has gotten every monthly update the day of or BEFORE Pixels do.

Anyway, you can get them new for around $800, sometimes less.

8T however is also a pretty solid choice, I just wouldn't go that route for lack of wireless charging.
    11-10-2020 05:03 PM
    Motorola Edge
    11-10-2020 09:37 PM