Ok, upgrading my beloved pixel 2... And I'm very very annoyed the pixel 5 has a) such poor hardware, and b) is still expensive for what it is. Hate to give up the stock Android experience.

So... Contenders:

Moto edge plus currently $700... Seems like the best deal out there right now but I don't love the waterfall sides.

One plus 8 pro... Similar price, but hate that a new one plus is around the corner. Unsure of camera.

Note 20 ultra. Huge, and expensive, but checks the hardware boxes.

Galaxy flip 5g / razr 5g - probably too expensive for the novelty of folding.

Pixel 5. Love the camera and better display. Hate the price and all other specs. I mean, my pixel 2 gpu is equal for cripes sake.

Rog phone 3? Seems niche and hard to find, and not so great camera wise.

Anything I'm missing? The edge plus at that price seems really really good value wise...

Thanks!
    11-14-2020 09:50 AM
    Read up a little on the edge, it's having a fair share of problems... especially screen failures. And Moto is notoriously bad for giving any real update support. Don't get me wrong I like Moto phones... have had several and have a brand new in the box Z3 play as a backup. But I always pick them up on clearance, and get older models with bugs fixed, and never pay more than $200 brand new straight from Moto. At that price updates are a moot point, and you'll definitely get your money's worth out of them. But I wouldn't pay the going rate for the new edge.

I think I'd lean towards the Samsung S20 FE 5G..... it's a great bang for the buck piece of hardware. I'm tempted, and I love pure android. But I think I could work with Sammie's bloat to try something new that comes with Samsung's top shelf tech in a nicely priced package. $50 more than the pixel 5 but way better specs
    mustang7757 and Dagr like this.
    11-14-2020 10:20 AM
    [Moved from ask a question to buyer forum]
    11-14-2020 10:26 AM
    [Moved from ask a question to buyer forum]
    Thanks for moving the thread... posted it from my phone earlier and didn't see the buyers guide forum.
    mustang7757 likes this.
    11-14-2020 11:02 AM
    Remember, specs don't tell you the whole story. The actual user experience for the Pixel 5 is quite smooth, with great battery life. My wife's enjoying hers, and I know @mustang7757 can attest to the outstanding battery life so far.
    mustang7757 and J Dubbs like this.
    11-14-2020 01:07 PM
    Remember, specs don't tell you the whole story. The actual user experience for the Pixel 5 is quite smooth, with great battery life. My wife's enjoying hers, and I know @mustang7757 can attest to the outstanding battery life so far.
    Agree, user experience is something different then other android phones , and the pixel 5 battery life is really that good, I'm getting little over 2 days with 5 SOT but average expect more then a day that's amazing with 5G ,90hz .
    B. Diddy and J Dubbs like this.
    11-14-2020 01:23 PM
    Yeah, I know... it's almost more of a psychological thing sometimes I think. Knowing that my new Pixel 5 could not run games any faster than my Pixel 2 is annoying. Nevermind if all the games I play run just fine on my Pixel 2. The biggest motivator for an upgrade for me? The stupid freaking USB-C port in the Pixel 2... my son has had two different units, and now mine is having hte same problems.. only works to charge with 1 charger & barely can connect to android auto.

But it really appeals to me to have a larger screen in the Pixel 5 with nearly the same form factor. That's a big win. A 6" screen that easily fits in your pocket. I like large phones, but ultimately find the smaller Pixel was easier day to day.
    B. Diddy and J Dubbs like this.
    11-14-2020 01:53 PM
    Agree, user experience is something different then other android phones , and the pixel 5 battery life is really that good, I'm getting little over 2 days with 5 SOT but average expect more then a day that's amazing with 5G ,90hz .
    Spot on Mustang For me nothing beats the experience of using pure Android on a pixel....I never planned on owning anything but pixels. Unfortunately I was planning on upgrading to the 5xl this year, which I thought would be a refined version of the 4xl with better Soli, latest snapdragon, high refresh rate screen etc... basically an improved flagship pixel xl. So I was kinda bummed that Google decided to get out of the flagship market

Good financial move on their part, and good phone...I just had my heart set on treating myself to a real flagship pixel this year
    mustang7757 likes this.
    11-15-2020 07:40 AM
    Spot on Mustang For me nothing beats the experience of using pure Android on a pixel....I never planned on owning anything but pixels. Unfortunately I was planning on upgrading to the 5xl this year, which I thought would be a refined version of the 4xl with better Soli, latest snapdragon, high refresh rate screen etc... basically an improved flagship pixel xl. So I was kinda bummed that Google decided to get out of the flagship market

Good financial move on their part, and good phone...I just had my heart set on treating myself to a real flagship pixel this year
    I like having the best of the best in a phone also, but other then the chip which is a midrange but still a 7nm and it's efficient, I haven't noticed any slowdowns with it but don't game also . While it did improve with 8gb ram , reverse charging, Gorilla glass 6 and put 5g ,video/quality record with zoom in mic .
    J Dubbs likes this.
    11-15-2020 08:38 AM
    I agree. Our switch from the Blackberry Key²LE to the Pixel 4a was a great decision, one I don't regret in any way. The Pixel 4a is a great value. I'll be #teampixel for a long time to come. The battery life of my P4a is superb, as is the overall performance and my user experience.
    I will admit there are some advantages of the Blackberry pkb I occasionally miss but not enough to give up the pure Pixel/Android experience and value. Also having the full Google Fi calling features is a keeper for us.
    mustang7757 likes this.
    11-15-2020 08:45 AM
    I agree. Our switch from the Blackberry Key²LE to the Pixel 4a was a great decision, one I don't regret in any way. The Pixel 4a is a great value. I'll be #teampixel for a long time to come. The battery life of my P4a is superb, as is the overall performance and my user experience.
    I will admit there are some advantages of the Blackberry pkb I occasionally miss but not enough to give up the pure Pixel/Android experience and value. Also having the full Google Fi calling features is a keeper for us.
    Glad your enjoying it , yeah great user experience with pixels phones .
    11-15-2020 08:54 AM