Getting a new media phone, recommendations?

LiveTrash

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Hello, thanks for reading. Allow me to explain what I mean by media phone...

The work phone I was given is basically a brick, far too heavy to put on a phone mount on the dash, so I've been using a Galaxy S3 as a Google Maps device, podcast player and Spotify player through WiFi hotspot on the work phone. My Galaxy S3 is okay, but it seems to have become incredibly slow, unresponsive and crashes frequently, even for just scrolling through a Spotify playlist, let alone trying to smoothly browse Google Maps/satellite view which I rely on heavily for work. Also an issue is the display, which I think is OLED? Regardless, it has some screen burn from being left on for extended periods of time while using Google Maps.

On to recommendations. Would a phone with an LCD display eliminate or greatly reduce screen burn? I don't need anything high end in terms of screen quality or performance. I was looking at the Samsung Galaxy A01 and it seems like a perfectly acceptable device for my needs. Only downside I see to it is not having a removable back to have an easily replaceable battery.

Any input or further phone recommendations would be appreciated. I'd prefer to stay with Samsung but would be okay with other trusted, big name brands.

Thanks.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
An LCD might be less prone to burn-in than an AMOLED screen, but any screen with the same picture on it for a long time, at high brightness, will burn in.

Most phones these days don't have user-replaceable batteries. (Repair shops can replace them, though.) The problems with the A01 are:

1. Limited RAM. These days, a phone with 2 GB of RAM might start running slowly.
  2. 16GB of storage is almost useless these days, if you plan to install apps. More than half is taken by the system.
  3. There probably won't be any Android updates to the phone - it's a year old.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
An LCD might be less prone to burn-in than an AMOLED screen, but any screen with the same picture on it for a long time, at high brightness, will burn in.

There may be some risk to an LCD screen burning in, but that risk is so small as to be almost non-existent. That's why anyone needing a screen for largely static images stick with lcd's. Computer monitors for photo editing, GPS units, airport tv's (LG replaced their OLED tv's in an airport with LCD's for this exact reason), industrial displays, etc. The only time I've seen a problem with lcd's on phones was a temporary image retention problem that was a design flaw limited to only one specific model.

Unfortunately it's getting harder to find phones with an lcd screen. Looking at some of the lists online, a lot of them are off brands and none of them are flagship level.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I have a few old GPS units with LCD screens that you can still see the maps on - with no batteries in them. LCDs burn faster than CRTs - and we've all seen the burn on them, or pictures of it. (Of course you can burn an AMOLED in an afternoon.)

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I think a high quality screen lcd be very hard to get screen burn in but on lower quality with lcd it can happen just as easy as Amoled if not careful.