Android Phone with a physical keyboard?

Kayza

Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
I'm trying to help someone who is a BB diehard. The problem is that AT&T is actually starting to disable all non-5g phones, and so hid BB Key2 was disable. He's managed to get an old KeyOne and popped his SIM in there, but that's a very short term solution, since this is an old phone that's already showing its age.

I need a phone with a physical keyboard that will work on the ATT network that is actually being sold new. Does such a thing exist?

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I think it’s time for your friend to admit that phones with physical keyboards are few and far between, not supported and will likely stay that way. They can fight it all they want but it’s a losing battle. Remember, 99.9% of ex BlackBerry users, who said they would never use a VKB phone, are now using a VKB phone and not looking back.

Chuck Finley69

Trusted Member
Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
I'm trying to help someone who is a BB diehard. The problem is that AT&T is actually starting to disable all non-5g phones, and so hid BB Key2 was disable. He's managed to get an old KeyOne and popped his SIM in there, but that's a very short term solution, since this is an old phone that's already showing its age.

I need a phone with a physical keyboard that will work on the ATT network that is actually being sold new. Does such a thing exist?

If deciding to go with a Unihertz Titan or Titan Pocket, the problem will still be AT&T which doesn’t list either Unihertz model as supported and will be same problem as the Key2 now. The safer answer would be to move Key2 to a different carrier, T-MOBILE specifically which could be a solution but we don’t know for how long. The other issue of course being if T-MOBILE network coverage is satisfactory in his area.

Kayza

Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
Yeah, well it's my boss ;)

The truth is that it isn't just a refusal to change - he's been pretty adaptable about most tech things. But he really, really does have a hard time with touch screens.

Kayza

Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
The safer answer would be to move Key2 to a different carrier, T-MOBILE specifically which could be a solution but we don’t know for how long. The other issue of course being if T-MOBILE network coverage is satisfactory in his area.
I've been thinking about it. It's really only buying time, because T-Mobile is headed in the same direction. And T-Mobile has iffy reception in a key area he needs to use the phone, so that's an issue, too.

Chuck Finley69

Trusted Member
Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
I've been thinking about it. It's really only buying time, because T-Mobile is headed in the same direction. And T-Mobile has iffy reception in a key area he needs to use the phone, so that's an issue, too.

I’m a huge BlackBerry user and fan of 15+ years going back to 7200 series. I literally have about 30+ different BlackBerry model variants that I still own. For personal and business use, I had to move onto Pixel/iPhone models for current Android/iOS updated OS for privacy and security requirements. I dual carried 3a/XR until recently when I replaced the 3a with a 5a for testing 5G network coverage. The larger Android/iOS devices VKB are easier transition if using the proprietary VKB optimized from their respective OEM and I’d rate Google VKB slightly better.

BergerKing

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Once upon a time, I was a dedicated BlackBerry user myself, and didn't think that I'd be able to adapt to a virtual keyboard due to peripheral neuropathy in my hands. However, it was a touchscreen BlackBerry that made the change possible, using haptic feedback through the keyboard.

That tiny "zt" the keys make as I press them reassures me that an entry was made, and quickly got me past the need for a physical keyboard. Transition to the multifaceted SwiftKey keyboard cemented the shift, and I'm 9½ years past BlackBerry now. That keyboard brings facets like Word Substitution, built-in language translator, clipboard, Tasks, and other things that eliminated my hankering for those features that I did miss from BlackBerry. SwiftKey's engine powered the BlackBerry virtual keyboard, and is really easy to work with. He can also adjust the size or the keyboard, and the key press duration for faster or slower typing if needed.

But the reality is, I really thing BlackBerry is like the jobs in Bruce Springsteen's "My Hometown," "they're going, and they ain't coming back." The once mighty BlackBerry ceded power to Apple and Android, like Windows phones did, and will become a curiosity more and more, much like regular flip phones are.

Besides, I think your boss will be surprised how far beyond smartphones have evolved. Numerous Android phones have had keyboards in the past, but they have never really been real popular, nothing more than a niche in sales, and I don't figure you'll see many in the future.

Kayza

Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
However, it was a touchscreen BlackBerry that made the change possible, using haptic feedback through the keyboard.

That may be what we have to do. The last time he tried a soft keyboard, it really, really didn't work for him. I'm not sure why, but I know that's what happened.

Besides, I think your boss will be surprised how far beyond smartphones have evolved. Numerous Android phones have had keyboards in the past, but they have never really been real popular, nothing more than a niche in sales, and I don't figure you'll see many in the future.

The Key2 is an Android phone, and he does use some of the features, so he does have some awareness of the advantages of a real smart phone. I think that if a phone like the Priv came along, that would be his ideal.