Android tablets for my kids & me

Mark Squires

Dec 30, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone

I'm looking some feedback for tablet options for my kids. I have a 5 & 7 year old, and I'm looking to purchase something for them in the next few weeks.

My oldest does a ton of early reading, so something that would be suited for that - but as well as other fun activities like games and movies. My 5 year old is starting school in Sept, and would like a similar age appropriate device.

I've been checking online, and the Amazon Fire 7 Kids seems to be a popular option, but the regular Amazon Fire 7 is significantly cheaper in price ($129 vs. $69). Am I correct in saying the only difference is the case and a year subscription to Amazon FreeTime?

For my option, I would need something light weight, and simple. Would mainly be used to access email, movies and light web browsing. the Samsung Tab A7 seems like a decent price point now ($169). Open to other options too.

Any input would be great

thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I have a Galaxy Tab A7 lite, which is very good for my usage. It's the smaller one with an 8.7" screen, so it's perfect for reading, media consumption, and casual gaming. I have the version with 4 GB RAM and 64 GB storage, which I would recommend over the cheaper one with 3 GB RAM and 32 GB storage (I got mine from Best Buy, because unfortunately Costco only has the 3 GB version).

For your kids, the main downside of Amazon tablets is the very mediocre Amazon Appstore, which doesn't come close to the selection in the Play Store, and many of the apps don't get updated as frequently (if at all) compared to their counterparts in the Play Store. You may want to consider a Lenovo tablet, like the M7 or M8, both of which start under $100. I have a Tab M8 FHD, which is pretty good (but generally more sluggish than the Samsung).

Mark Squires

Dec 30, 2019
Visit site
I have a Galaxy Tab A7 lite, which is very good for my usage. It's the smaller one with an 8.7" screen, so it's perfect for reading, media consumption, and casual gaming. I have the version with 4 GB RAM and 64 GB storage, which I would recommend over the cheaper one with 3 GB RAM and 32 GB storage (I got mine from Best Buy, because unfortunately Costco only has the 3 GB version).

For your kids, the main downside of Amazon tablets is the very mediocre Amazon Appstore, which doesn't come close to the selection in the Play Store, and many of the apps don't get updated as frequently (if at all) compared to their counterparts in the Play Store. You may want to consider a Lenovo tablet, like the M7 or M8, both of which start under $100. I have a Tab M8 FHD, which is pretty good (but generally more sluggish than the Samsung).

Thanks for the response and feedback.

another big reason for the tablets is we have a summer vacation booked a fairly long trip across country (going to BC from the east coast of Canada), and something to keep the kids occupied. From the info you listed, it sounds like the Amazon options may be a hard pass, if I can't get specific apps they may like to use.

Currently at BestBuy in Canada, the M7/M8 are coming in around $130

For me, I'm only seeing the 3GB version of the A7 at the BestBuy options online in my area. It will probably be the Lenovo Tab M8 or the A7 (leaning A7 now)

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I recommend Lenovo tablets. I have had one for 5 years and one for one year. Both are very reliable.

Lenovo even has some made for kids but the regular ones should do just as well.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the response and feedback.

another big reason for the tablets is we have a summer vacation booked a fairly long trip across country (going to BC from the east coast of Canada), and something to keep the kids occupied. From the info you listed, it sounds like the Amazon options may be a hard pass, if I can't get specific apps they may like to use.

Currently at BestBuy in Canada, the M7/M8 are coming in around $130

For me, I'm only seeing the 3GB version of the A7 at the BestBuy options online in my area. It will probably be the Lenovo Tab M8 or the A7 (leaning A7 now)

Sounds like a good plan. To be fair, the 3 GB RAM version of the A7 lite should be fine for casual use, so if that's all you can get where you are, I'd still go for it.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
If you happen to go the Amazon route last I checked the Fire 8 is a solid upgrade over the 7 and well worth the small price increase.

Otherwise I would also recommend a Samsung Tab A or something from Lenovo.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaahza