BlackBerry Priv vs. LG G5 vs. Samsung Galaxy S7

jonathanbaker22

Dec 13, 2016
Visit site
Hi guys,

I currently have a Blackberry Q5 and I’m looking to get a new phone soon. I have never had an Android or Apple phone before, but have had an Android tablet.

I have three options I was thinking of for a new phone: BlackBerry Priv, LG G5, and Samsung Galaxy S7 (maybe Edge?).

The Blackberry Priv is dirt cheap right now, has pretty decent specs, and has a physical keyboard. The drawbacks are that I hear the battery is finicky and the phone is kind of heavy. Also, I worry that the phone won't be updated as much.

The LG G5 seems like a good overall phone that I could get without breaking the bank. My friend has it and it seems great.

The Samsung S7 (or edge) is the most expensive option I’m looking at. I’ve never had a top-of-the-line phone before, and my friend thinks I should just go for this to see what it’s like. The price, however, is significant. The BB Priv is considerably less than half the price.

I almost thought of getting a ZTE Axon 7, but I’ve heard mixed things about it and I ruled it out. The OnePlus 3 looks nice, but I want a higher-res screen.

What do you guys think? Perhaps the sensible middle road would be the LG G5. My friend has one and it seems very fast. The display also seemed to look a bit nicer than my friend's Priv's display. However, the Priv is super-cheap right now and has a keyboard and I kind of have a bias towards Blackberry, even though supporting them in the past has not always been easy! And if I want a Samsung, might it make more sense to wait until the S8 comes out so the S7 price drops?

Best regards!

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
It really sounds like the Nexus 6P is what you want. But, out of those three, the S7 hands down and as you said, if you want Samsung waiting for the S8 might not be a bad idea. But if waiting that long, I'd buy the S8 rather than the S7.

The order I'd recommend Android phones to most people would be as follows: Pixel XL > S7 / S7 Edge > LG V20 > HTC 10 > Moto Z Force > Nexus 6P > Galaxy Note 5, LG G5, Axon 7 > OnePlus 3T > Moto Z Play > Moto X Pure Edition > Nexus 6 > BB Priv > this list is too long already.

6P seems to be the first one in the list that is also affordable and also has two major advantages over everything else on the list except the Pixel: Security and Software updates.

jonathanbaker22

Dec 13, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for your reply. I hadn't actually looked into the Nexus 6P.

One issue that made me think twice about the ZTE was the claim by the U.S. gov that Huawei and maybe ZTE could possibly be untrustworthy brands due to government surveillance or malware installed on the devices. I guess none of the devices out there are necessarily secure these days (?) and the types of risks could be different with each device.

In fact, you mention that the 6P has very good security.

Phone looks nice to me, but it seems to have a lot of one-star reviews on Newegg, in addition to the strong reviews.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your reply. I hadn't actually looked into the Nexus 6P.

One issue that made me think twice about the ZTE was the claim by the U.S. gov that Huawei and maybe ZTE could possibly be untrustworthy brands due to government surveillance or malware installed on the devices. I guess none of the devices out there are necessarily secure these days (?) and the types of risks could be different with each device.

In fact, you mention that the 6P has very good security.

Phone looks nice to me, but it seems to have a lot of one-star reviews on Newegg, in addition to the strong reviews.

I would not personally buy an imported ZTE or Huawei phone with that in mind OTHER than the Nexus 6P - because 100% of the software is Google's on the Nexus. I have details in a few places throughout the forums, but in my opinion, the Pixel and Nexus phones are the most secure Android phones available. Until some things in the industry change, Google, BlackBerry and Apple are the only OEM's I trust for myself for the foreseeable future.

jonathanbaker22

Dec 13, 2016
Visit site
Hmm, thanks Aquila. The Nexus 6P does look like a rather formidable phone. My only concern at this point is it's kind of huge and might be hard to fit in pockets. So maybe I should go with the Samsung S7.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
It sounds like you are really into BlackBerry - and I love BB, and had a Q10 that I miss, to this day, so I don't blame you! - I would recommend going to the store and testing out a Priv, to see if that is what you really want. See if it's too heavy for you. Ask about the battery life, etc. As an aside, I'd pay attention to your sales rep - some of them have a real disdain for BlackBerry and will try to steer you to other devices. Only choose something else if that is what you want!

The G5 is quite good. Camera is good, the display is great, and it feels good in the hand. In my opinion, I'd look at the Priv first, and then the G5. But, of course, testing them all out in the store is how you'll really get a feel for what you really want.

Keep us updated on what you choose, and good luck! :)

jonathanbaker22

Dec 13, 2016
Visit site
Hi guys,

thanks for your further input.

I actually did get to hold a Blackberry Priv for about 10 seconds last week. :) It felt heavy in my hand, but then again, I've been using a much smaller phone. Also, the screen did not seem as nice and glossy as my friend's LG G5's, although that could have just been a mistaken impression.

I was thinking that I might try to get a new unlocked S7 off Ebay or another site from a Top Seller. I've had mixed experiences with this in the past. One time I stupidly used a seller with not many reviews and I got a DOA phone and the seller disappeared (Ebay did refund it). Another time I got a refurb for a friend and it worked OK but not perfectly and it fizzled out after 2 years. Two other times I got phones that worked perfectly.

I think I'm going to go to the mall and see if I can try out some of the phones (LG G5, S7, and Nexus GP). I don't think most carriers carry the Priv though, even though I'm in Canada. Even here, there can be something of a stigma about BlackBerry, like, "Why in the world would you ever buy one of those?" It was even like this 2-3 years ago, when the Q10/Z10 were coming out.

Last edited:

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys,

thanks for your further input.

I actually did get to hold a Blackberry Priv for about 10 seconds last week. :) It felt heavy in my hand, but then again, I've been using a much smaller phone. Also, the screen did not seem as nice and glossy as my friend's LG G5's, although that could have just been a mistaken impression.

I was thinking that I might try to get a new unlocked S7 off Ebay or another site from a Top Seller. I've had mixed experiences with this in the past. One time I stupidly used a seller with not many reviews and I got a DOA phone and the seller disappeared (Ebay did refund it). Another time I got a refurb for a friend and it worked OK but not perfectly and it fizzled out after 2 years. Two other times I got phones that worked perfectly.

I think I'm going to go to the mall and see if I can try out some of the phones (LG G5, S7, and Nexus GP). I don't think most carriers carry the Priv though, even though I'm in Canada. Even here, there can be something of a stigma about BlackBerry, like, "Why in the world would you ever buy one of those?" It was even like this 2-3 years ago, when the Q10/Z10 were coming out.

Good luck with your decision! That's a good lineup of phones on your shortlist! Test them out at the mall and see what you think!

And yes, absolutely. There is, unfortunately, a very real stigma against BlackBerry. I got some push-back when I went into the mall with a BlackBerry-related questions a few years ago, when I had my Q10. The sales rep flat out laughed at me. I wasn't as bold then, but if that had happened now, I would have challenged her on it, for sure.

Anyway, let us know what you decide! :)