New user seeking help and info on mobile phones

Confuzzled367

Dec 19, 2016
Visit site
Hey everyone,

I'm new to smartphones and so far I've had only a regular cellphone, which was enough for me up until now. Now I'm looking to get a smartphone, and I've done some research on what to get, but I'm still a bit confused on a few things, so I came here to as a few questions regarding mobile phones and their performance.

To start off, I'm looking for an Android smartphone with good performance (whatever that means haha) which can also be used to play games every now and then. I'm not a hardcore gamer or anything but I like to play games when I'm bored. I'm also looking for something that will last for next few years, like 5-6 years at least, since I'm not the kind of guy who's gonna be getting a new phone all the time. And something that runs apps and games smoothly.

Right now, I'm looking at the Xiaomi Mi Max 3GBRAM/32GB, which has excellent overall specs and reviews alike. However, I've been looking at some Antutu benchmark tests, and have discovered that another Xiaomi mobile, specifically the XIAOMI REDMI NOTE 3 PRO DUAL 16GB phone with seemingly *weaker* specs overall (and 25% lower price) actually has better performance and is ranked higher than the Mi Max despite lower specs. So I got a few questions here.

My first question is, how relevant are Antutu benchmark tests, and how come a phone with weaker specs has better performance than one with better stated specs?

My second question is whether or not these tests are relevant to using apps and playing games? Does better performance on Antutu tests mean an overall smoother user experience, whether playing games or using apps?

My third question is - what does smartphone performance depend on exactly? If a phone with lower specs can perform better than one with seemingly higher end specs, than how do you measure performance exactly?

Ok, phew, I guess I'm starting to bore you already. I'm basically looking at these 2 mobile phones right now. The Mi Max 32GB costs around 280 USD, and the XIAOMI REDMI NOTE 3 PRO DUAL 16GB costs around 210 USD, basically a quarter cheaper, but with better performance than the Mi Max?

Also to note, I do not live in the USA, I live in Croatia, but prices are pretty much the same, more or less. One more thing - if anyone can give me a recommendation on what other phones to buy in the 250 USD range that are better than the Xiaomi phones mentioned above, then please do suggest :) As a new user, I'm not that knowledgeable, so a few good recommendations would help a lot. I love the fact that the Mi Max has a 4850 mAh battery and very long life, and I'd like my phone to be durable in terms of battery power.

Anyway, I think I talk (type) too much. Probably already starting to bore you, too. I appreciate any help that comes my way, and thanks for reading my mumbling xD And thanks in advance for any answers guys and girls!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. I rarely pay attention to benchmarks. I think they are too narrow of a metric to measure a smartphone.

As for how long you wish to keep a device...some of the lesser known OEMs tend to not keep a device up to date, in terms of OS security. what is your budget for a phone?

Confuzzled367

Dec 19, 2016
Visit site
Thanks! :)

Golfdriver97: As I'm new I'm not sure what to think about benchmark tests, but can't make a decision considering I'm a new user and not that informed. My budget hmmm...well, suffice to say I got enough money to afford the most expensive phones, but I'm not that hardcore when it comes to phones. For me, something that has smooth user experience and can play most games, and at least has Android 6.0 or above, would suffice I guess. A long battery life would also be nice. Let's say I'm willing to spend up to 280 USD on a phone, preferably less if I can get away with it. The Xiaomi Mi Max has the Snapdragon 650 processors which I know are very good, and 3 GB RAM is also great. Incredible battery life too.

The reason I want a relatively high spec phone is that I want it to last for a while, and not have to buy a new one too soon. But I don't know whether 3 GB RAM is enough, or how good the processors are etc. Basically, what I am asking is whether I can get a "better" phone for around 280 USD, or less. Or, is the Mi Max 3GB/32GB with hexa core snapdragon 650 worth the money if we consider what I want from my smartphone?

As far as OS goes and keeping it up to date, what would you suggest I get?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
The Moto G series is relatively inexpensive. You could also consider a used Nexus.

Or, perhaps, if you have a friend who is on the same network as you and is looking to sell an older device.

Confuzzled367

Dec 19, 2016
Visit site
Hmm Moto G you say? I'll check it out thanks :) Though I have the money, I'm not crazy about smartphones so I don't want to spend too much.

Any other recommendations perhaps?

Thanks again :)

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hmm Moto G you say? I'll check it out thanks :) Though I have the money, I'm not crazy about smartphones so I don't want to spend too much.

Any other recommendations perhaps?

Thanks again :)
Counter question...what has changed that is causing you to get a smartphone? Perhaps a different option can be thought of.

Confuzzled367

Dec 19, 2016
Visit site
Because I could use something with a decent camera, plus my old phone is on the brink of destruction. Also because I don't want to be the only guy who doesn't know how to use a smartphone haha xD

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mehammed