Smartphone around $400

Daryll Dela Rosa

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Hey there!

I'm looking to buy my next smartphone. Budget is around $400. I want something with a good battery, runs stock or near-stock Android, well-supported with software and security updates, and has a healthy modding community. OnePlus 3/3T and the Moto Z Play seem to be good choices, but I'm still open to other suggestions.

Thanks to all who will help! :)

bmhillegass87

Q&A Team
Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi Daryll!

Do you have any kind of carrier preference because this will change up things a bit? If you are looking at the OnePlus I assume you are on a GSM carrier of some kind? If that's the case, here are some of my favorite picks (and i've owned and used these for extended periods)!

1. Moto Z Play- it does a ton of things right especially the battery life. I was able to get over 8 hours screen on time consistently. This is unheard of for Android! However, the camera was a big weak point for me. If a camera is really important to you i'd look elsewhere. But, if you really care about battery- look no further.

2. Honor 8 - you can usually find on good sale for $299.99 which is an insane value. The biggest reason I think this gets passed on is Huawei hasn't made a huge splash in the US yet, plus the processor used is not something we particularly hear about (kirin 950). However, don't let it fool you just because it doesn't say snapdragon! This baby flies! This device for me was real rounded in all areas. If you can get at $299.99 I think its a top pick, but it normally retails around $399. This won't get a ton of software updates down the line most likely. If that's a concern for you about having the latest version of android/security patches i'd pass.

3. Nexus 6p- don't let a devices age fool you. I think we have become accustomed to only thinking the latest and greatest are the best devices out there. If someone handed me a 6p right now i'd gladly use it as my daily driver. It still has very decent specs especially running stock Android, a great screen, a good camera, good battery life, solid performance, etc... You will also receive security patches and updates at a top tier rate. You can find plenty of these in mint/like new condition on Swappa for your price range!

Honorable mention- Moto G 5 Plus- like a z play but cheaper. The 4GB ram model will run you $299 while using the same Snapdragon processor. The build quality isn't nearly as good as the play, nor does it have the ability to do moto mods or NFC, but you'll get that insane battery life and overall great daily performance.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463