OnePlus 5 or Samsung S8+

ra535i

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Re: Which one: $300 off Galaxy S8 or One plus 5?

I've an s8 via t-mobile's jump on demand. I've had it since day 1. I also currently have a google pixel bought with cash also from day 1. I anticipated replacing the pixel with the s8 permanently and sell the pixel. After using the s8 for about 6 weeks, the lag started creeping in. Jumping back and forth from app to app by doubletapping the app switcher was painful after using the pixel. I don't know why i keep going back to samsung year after year when the same thing happens everytime. s6e, n5, s7e, n7, s7, now s8. Every phone started off great but then slowed down (minus the n7 for the obvious reason). The s8 is not immune to this. So I purchased the OP5 and it will be my first one ever. Being that i'm on t-mobile, i depend heavily on wifi-calling and you either have to own a t-mobile phone, pixel, or oneplus as these are the only phones that support it. Last year I got the pixel for that reason, this year it's the OP5. The S8 will most likely be the last galaxy i'll own. If you love your s8, more power to you. Mine will be on my desk as a glorified digital clock.

JeBe4

Banned
Sep 16, 2015
Visit site

I concur - I bought the S8 for $450 today and then canceled the order maybe 29 minutes later.

I love Samsung pay and I own a N5 but the lag and now bug where YouTube, video, any sound etc. Gets a playback error and has to be restarted. So annoying. Did a factory reset - I converted my apps to my Chrome OS so that will have to satisfy my Pen needs. Gonna sell the Note 5 - I'm gonna miss Samsung pay but oh well - so tired of their crappy software it doesn't age properly at all and the bloat is aggressive and devices over priced

KEYᵒⁿᵉ

JeBe4

Banned
Sep 16, 2015
Visit site

Moderator:

why is my avatar not showing on the forum side but on the AC article side that's odd it shows on CrackBerry just fine

msp1518

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site

Two completely different phone in every way. But yeah, with discounts I can get the Verzon S8 for $556 just ordered it) and the unlocked S8 for $456 (ordered that too).

One Plus will never get my business because they do not work with Verizon. i need Verizon.

ra535i

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site

I concur - I bought the S8 for $450 today and then canceled the order maybe 29 minutes later.

I love Samsung pay and I own a N5 but the lag and now bug where YouTube, video, any sound etc. Gets a playback error and has to be restarted. So annoying. Did a factory reset - I converted my apps to my Chrome OS so that will have to satisfy my Pen needs. Gonna sell the Note 5 - I'm gonna miss Samsung pay but oh well - so tired of their crappy software it doesn't age properly at all and the bloat is aggressive and devices over priced

KEYᵒⁿᵉ

For samsung pay i'm using the s3 classic with my pixel and it works like a champ!! Thank god sammy made that available for 3rd party. Highly recommended. Pro tip though, make sure the model you get isn't an international variant. S-pay is locked out for those models. I got mine at Best Buy.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Moderator:

why is my avatar not showing on the forum side but on the AC article side that's odd it shows on CrackBerry just fine

You should have a PM from one of the moderators. I would suggest checking there.

dannyar11

May 24, 2016
Visit site

Be honest, you didn't cancel because of that. Its because after ordering it you saw it was backordered 2-3 weeks and didn't want to wait.

JeBe4

Banned
Sep 16, 2015
Visit site

Be honest, you didn't cancel because of that. Its because after ordering it you saw it was backordered 2-3 weeks and didn't want to wait.

Lol ahha nope

I actually am torn between the upcoming Essential phone, Oneplus 5, Moto G5s, or at this point a flip phone.

The trade in program they run is very good though - I just want less bloat on my phones from now on

mgbosshogg

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site

Is this a real question? Lol. The feature light bezel monster from 2013 or the S8? Even at release day prices it is a no brainer..

This coming from a OPO / OP3 / Op3t owner who was going to buy a 5 right up until I actually saw what it was.

LeKeiser

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site

Is this a real question? Lol. The feature light bezel monster from 2013 or the S8? Even at release day prices it is a no brainer..

This coming from a OPO / OP3 / Op3t owner who was going to buy a 5 right up until I actually saw what it was.

and what is it?

Shyuura

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
Galaxy S8+ or Oneplus 5? Help!

As an Android fan, I have been using the iPhone 6s plus for over a year now because I wanted to try iOS at least once, tbh I am really impressed by how performant and fast it is but it's kinda boring and limited, also since I don't have any other apple device I can't really experience the whole apple ecosystem integration that's everyone been talking about.

Prior to that I used a galaxy s6 and a galaxy s7 edge and now I want to go back to android, I'd like to get something close to stock (can't buy pixel devices where i live) So I am hesitating between the Oneplus 5 (8GB RAM/128GB Storage) or the Galaxy S8+ which I can get by trading the iPhone 6s plus and adding around 350$, though i am not a big fan of touchwizz.

So which is better in terms of overall performance, battery life, durability and continued support(timely updates too)? Thanks!

krazyatom

Trusted Member
Jan 4, 2015
Visit site
Does anybody have both OP5 and S8+? I recently got a OP5 and it's surprisingly good. Battery life is fantastic and it's been great so far but recent S8+ $525 (after any phone trade in $200 credit deal) is just too tempting. If there is anyone who owns both, can you tell me cons/pros for both devices? I know I can go to look for those videos but I want real user thoughts.

dannyar11

May 24, 2016
Visit site
Does anybody have both OP5 and S8+? I recently got a OP5 and it's surprisingly good. Battery life is fantastic and it's been great so far but recent S8+ $525 (after any phone trade in $200 credit deal) is just too tempting. If there is anyone who owns both, can you tell me cons/pros for both devices? I know I can go to look for those videos but I want real user thoughts.

ive owned both and ill be honest with you. First of all this deal isn't available anymore. Samsung seems to have removed the $100 off the unlocked model and now also only offers trade in credit for certain Samsung devices, not just any phone anymore. If I had to choose just one, it would be the s8 hands down. Not only is the design of the phone just superior in every way, the camera destroys the OP5, has expandable storage, is waterproof etc. It just feels like a device meant for 2017 vs one that looks like it was made in 2015. The novelty of the OP5 wears off very fast. If you opt for the s8+ the battery also is killer. Id pay 100-150 more for the s8 any day over the op5.

krazyatom

Trusted Member
Jan 4, 2015
Visit site
ive owned both and ill be honest with you. First of all this deal isn't available anymore. Samsung seems to have removed the $100 off the unlocked model and now also only offers trade in credit for certain Samsung devices, not just any phone anymore. If I had to choose just one, it would be the s8 hands down. Not only is the design of the phone just superior in every way, the camera destroys the OP5, has expandable storage, is waterproof etc. It just feels like a device meant for 2017 vs one that looks like it was made in 2015. The novelty of the OP5 wears off very fast. If you opt for the s8+ the battery also is killer. Id pay 100-150 more for the s8 any day over the op5.
Thanks. I may look into s8+ or HTC u11!