Need help buying next phone

Jezza819

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
Normally I have a good idea on what I'm going to go with next when it comes time to upgrade. But this time I have no idea at all.

Right now I've got a LG G4 that I got in October of 2015. It's been a pretty decent phone up until the last 6 months or so. But now it's starting to give some me some concern if it's going to lay down or not. It's had a problem with freezing up when trying to either turn on or turn off bluetooth. When on a charge the screen will flash from the wallpaper to a solid black screen and it will keep doing that until I can power it off and restart it. Or the battery will drain away very fast and I'm a very light phone user. That's what it did today. It cam off of the charger at about midnight last night and it's about 4pm here now and it's down to 14% left. That was the last straw. Since I only had about $40-$50 left to pay it off I went ahead and paid it off. I've had enough. I just don't trust it anymore. :mad:

The 3 choices I've narrowed it down to are Pixel, LG G6, and the S8. I'm with Verizon and I went down to the Verizon store a few weeks ago to see and touch all of them for the first time hoping that it would clear everything up. It didn't.

Here is what I'm looking for in a phone. Even though I'm a light phone user I don't think my battery level should drop below 50% by the time I come home from work in the evenings so I would like it to have a good battery life. I don't take that many pictures but I do take a fair amount in low light (concerts, etc.) and I do the occasional video so I would like a good camera. I don't care anything about wireless charging or waterproofing. If the best phone has that then fine, if not fine. I don't care anything about removable battery or if it has a glass back.

Here's what I've read about each one and it may or may not be true. Pixel - decent camera, not that good of a battery life, gets updates quicker than any other phone. G6 - better camera, fairly good battery life, kind of plain jane graphics. S8 - best camera, fairly good battery life, beautiful screen, more storage space.

When I looked at all of them it was hard trying to wrap my head around this new tall aspect ratio of the S8 and G6. Putting them against my G4 it looked like they took up about the same total space as the G4 but the screens don't look any bigger. Protecting the S8 looks like it would be a challenge because of the wrap around screen. It does look nicer I guess than the other two.

So that's my dilemma. Having spent about 20 minutes fooling around with all of them, none of them really stood out from the other. I did rule out the Pixel XL and the S8+. They just look too long and it's not worth the extra money for them.

Suggestions? Experiences with all 3 of them? Pros, cons?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Hi there! If you are a fan of LG, I would recommend the G6. It's more economical than S8, and protecting the screen would be an easier job. Also, as you've said, the G6 has a great size to bezel ratio or whatever that is called (lool), so though it is at about 5.7", it certainly doesn't feel that way in the hand. I've heard good things about its camera and a lot of the users here are saying great things about its battery life.

My recommendation is to watch unboxing and review videos on YouTube and try them out in-store to see what day-to-day use would be like! Let us know what you decide!

Jezza819

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
Hi there! If you are a fan of LG, I would recommend the G6. It's more economical than S8, and protecting the screen would be an easier job. Also, as you've said, the G6 has a great size to bezel ratio or whatever that is called (lool), so though it is at about 5.7", it certainly doesn't feel that way in the hand. I've heard good things about its camera and a lot of the users here are saying great things about its battery life.

My recommendation is to watch unboxing and review videos on YouTube and try them out in-store to see what day-to-day use would be like! Let us know what you decide!

I've pretty much eliminated the Pixel. The other two just look more cleaner and more modern. I've read the buyer's guide review here on Android Central on the G6 again and it seemed to indicate the G6's camera does better than expected in low light which strengthens it's position for me.

Like I said earlier I have spent about 20 minutes or so in the Verizon store handling each one of them which led me to ask for help. But I was slightly tilted towards the G6 after that hands on and now having heard what you said and reading the head to head comparison, I think the G6 is what I'm going to go with. But I'm going to Verizon Monday after work to pick something out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz