Hey guys, I'm new here and I'm pretty glad I've found this forum

Been using an iPhone for the past 2 years now and my contract ends mid-Decemeber

I've been watching a lot of videos about android and android phones and have fallen in love with the customisability of android and how you can really make it look exactly the way you want it!

So I'm now keen on getting a phone once my contract ends and I'm just wondering what I should be looking out for? In terms of when I get off my contract what phones should I really consider during Christmas?

Currently really loving what the LG G6 has to offer, (a finger print sensor on the back is something I really favour)

The recently announced LG V30 also is on my eyes, but I'm not sure of other upcoming phones I should be looking out for when I decide to buy. Hoping you guys would be able to help me out with?

Any help is appreciated
    Morty2264 and Laura Knotek like this.
    09-02-2017 02:45 AM
    Hey guys, I'm new here and I'm pretty glad I've found this forum

Been using an iPhone for the past 2 years now and my contract ends mid-Decemeber

I've been watching a lot of videos about android and android phones and have fallen in love with the customisability of android and how you can really make it look exactly the way you want it!

So I'm now keen on getting a phone once my contract ends and I'm just wondering what I should be looking out for? In terms of when I get off my contract what phones should I really consider during Christmas?

Currently really loving what the LG G6 has to offer, (a finger print sensor on the back is something I really favour)

The recently announced LG V30 also is on my eyes, but I'm not sure of other upcoming phones I should be looking out for when I decide to buy. Hoping you guys would be able to help me out with?

Any help is appreciated
    Welcome to AC! I gotta say, I currently own an S8 but I'm definitely going to take a hard look at the V30. I'm quite familiar with LG and their software from past phones and this is my first Samsung device. TouchWiz is beginning to get on my nerves with the hiccups and lag. Even after two factory resets. It's a great device otherwise.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-02-2017 04:46 AM
    Welcome to AC! I gotta say, I currently own an S8 but I'm definitely going to take a hard look at the V30. .
    Thank you very much for the welcome! I'm more than certain I'll be installing and using the nova launcher and adding widgets and icon packs. The V30 does look amazing, especially with the AMOLED display, it's convinced me that whatever phone I decide to get must have an AMOLED display. Because they just look incredible. Do you know of any other phones that will be announced in the near future by any chance?
    gendo667 and Laura Knotek like this.
    09-02-2017 05:13 AM
    Depending on your region, the Mate 10 should also be a great device. It's unannounced though. Still in the roumor mill cycle.
    09-02-2017 05:37 AM
    the pixel 2 will offer the smoothest experience you could ever have (similar to what you got used to with ios).
    09-03-2017 10:55 AM
    Welcome to the forums, and great username, by the way!

You're right! With Android, you can truly make the experience - and the phone - your own. That's one reason why I love this platform so much.

The G6 is a great device, and I agree with you: back fingerprint sensor location is great! My Honor 8 also has this feature.

One thing to note about Christmastime is that sales will more than likely be pretty good for phones there, so buying during that season is a good plan!

You can also look at some mid-range phones that can do just as much as flagship (top-of-the-line phones, like the G6 and Samsung Galaxy S8) at a fraction of the cost. The OnePlus 5 has great specs, good display and battery, and will cost you less. But the fingerprint scanner is on the back of the phone.

The Honor 8 Pro is also a pretty good deal! I use its predecessor and really enjoy it!

It's smart of you to do your research! If you're looking at more unboxing and review videos, look for Erica The Technology Nerd (or a search similar to that effect) on YouTube. She gives the best reviews on phones that I've ever seen.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide!
    Laura Knotek and gendo667 like this.
    09-03-2017 09:16 PM
    Hi and welcome to Android Central. I'm using an LG V20 that I picked up brand new unlocked 3 weeks ago. It's my first LG phone and I'm happy with it since it has an awesome quad DAC, and I also love the camera as well as the removable battery, which isn't found on any other high-end phone. The G6 and V30 both have sealed batteries.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    09-03-2017 09:27 PM
    Hi and welcome to Android Central. I'm using an LG V20 that I picked up brand new unlocked 3 weeks ago. It's my first LG phone and I'm happy with it since it has an awesome quad DAC, and I also love the camera as well as the removable battery, which isn't found on any other high-end phone. The G6 and V30 both have sealed batteries.
    Thank you very much for the welcome, the V20 does look amazing I'm curious why removable battery is a thing? I hear a lot of reviewers mention it but I confused as to why it seems important?
    09-04-2017 04:18 PM
    OnePlus 5 has great specs, good display and battery, and will cost you less. But the fingerprint scanner is on the back of the phone.
    I thought the Oneplus 5 has the fingerprint sensor on the front? I wish it was on the back, I would love to have it on the back! I'm just scared to pounce on a current mid-range phone during christmas due to the fear a newer and better phone comes out only a month or 2 later it'll frustrate it me so much :c
    Morty2264 likes this.
    09-04-2017 04:21 PM
    the pixel 2 will offer the smoothest experience you could ever have (similar to what you got used to with ios).
    I'd love to get the pixel 2, (not sure when it comes out) but the price of it might be insane here in Australia as the first Pixel still costs $800 here right now! So the pixel 2 might be pushing closer to $1000 whereas my budget probably won't exceed $750
    09-04-2017 04:22 PM
    I'm curious why removable battery is a thing?
    Phone batteries seem to last about two years, some more some less. If you get one of the "less" and want to keep your phone past 18 months or so it can be difficult if the batt won't hold a charge any longer. Obviously if you can change the batt there is no longer a problem. For non-removable batteries those sometimes become the limiting factor in phone life.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    Thank you very much for the welcome, the V20 does look amazing I'm curious why removable battery is a thing? I hear a lot of reviewers mention it but I confused as to why it seems important?
    You're welcome. Removable batteries don't matter to everyone, but some people who are heavy users and not near a charger will carry an extra battery, so they just swap batteries when one doesn't have enough charge to get through the day.
    gendo667 likes this.
    Depending on your region, the Mate 10 should also be a great device. It's unannounced though. Still in the roumor mill cycle.
    Rumours suggest it will announce this year (almost as early as October) although I'm scared to think how large it's going to be compared to my current iPhone 6 (which I find too small, although I'm intimidated by a huge phone/phablet) the mate 9 was on my radar but the sheer size to it put me off if the Mate 10 has an AMOLED display I'd certainly consider it thank you very much!
    gendo667 likes this.
    09-04-2017 04:25 PM
    Obviously if you can change the batt there is no longer a problem. For non-removable batteries those sometimes become the limiting factor in phone life.
    Ohhh I see, I didn't even know you could buy phone batteries now I see why it's a favoured feature of phones, thanks for clarifying that
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-04-2017 04:59 PM
    I thought the Oneplus 5 has the fingerprint sensor on the front? I wish it was on the back, I would love to have it on the back! I'm just scared to pounce on a current mid-range phone during christmas due to the fear a newer and better phone comes out only a month or 2 later it'll frustrate it me so much :c
    Ahhh whoops! I must have been thinking about the G6. You're right, the OP5 has the fingerprint sensor on the front! Sorry!
    MrPariah likes this.
    09-04-2017 06:16 PM
    V30 is looking more and more awesome day by day.
    Pixel 2 should be a strong contender as well.
    I am also waiting for the Huawei Mate 10 details to drop in soon.
    Lot's of great choices just like the OS.
    Welcome!
    09-12-2017 05:49 PM