Not New, But Still Need Some Advice

Leonel Funes

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
Sad to say, but I think after so many years using Windows phones, I need a new phone and there are no really good options around (there are a few, but they're old in tech age). I have absolutely zero interest in an iPhone, but I don't need the priciest, most advanced Android phone either... I have a few phones on my mind, hoping I can get some advice. It's been a while since I was on Android (with my Galaxy S2 E4GT, massive for it's time). Here are a few phones I'm looking at. Also, I'm on Cricket, but wouldn't mind changing carriers.

ZTE MAX XL (Boost Mobile)/ZTE Blade X Max (Cricket Wireless):
I think the two phones are the same... They look good, not too expensive. Camera is 13MP but quality isn't in the numbers. It has 16GB/2GB/1.4Ghz Octa-core processor (not sure of the chip). Battery is pretty big so that's always nice to have.

LG Stylo 3 (Boost Mobile)/LG Stylo 3 PLUS (T-Mobile):
Again, I think these two are the same phone. The screen is somewhat unimpressive with 720p resolution at 5.7", but it does have a stylus which I've grown accustom to using with my PC (it came with a pen, so slightly more than a stylus). Mostly comparable memory/processor to the ZTE phone(s).

Samsung Galaxy S6 (Boost Mobile/Unlocked):
I've seen people loving this phone, especially since the design was a welcome change to the BandAid-looking S5. The size is welcoming at 5.1", and the specs are overall good for its age. It doesn't have the latest OS, but will it be seeing updates? Can I root to so it goes to Marshmallow/Nougat/Oreo? I assume I can but not sure what's the highest it can go - how about Cyanogen/Lineage OS or whatever it is nowadays? Boost Mobile seems to have it for $150, but I can also get it from Craigslist.

Samsung Galaxy Note 5 (Unlocked):
I've always been curious about the Note line of phones, especially with their S Pen. Not much to say - it's the Note phone directly behind the Note 8 (no Note 6/Note 7 recalls). Same questions as the S6 for the Note 5. Planning to get this from Craigslist if this phone is chosen, although it is a bit more than I am willing to pay for a phone (They're going at about $300 a piece). Not sure if it's really, truly worth it...

That's it for now. If you own(ed) any of these, let me know what you think!

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Hi there, and welcome to the forums and to the world of Android!

To be honest, I do not know much about the first two phones you suggested; so hopefully another user more well-versed with those two models will chime in for you!

With regards to the Samsung Galaxy S6 and Note 5, I'd say those are two fairly solid options for you. As you've stated, the S6 is a satisfactory device for a lot of users. And the Note 5 seems to be the Note device that everyone loves! If I were to recommend either, it'd most likely be the Note 5. Good size, good display and camera, and you still get the S-Pen that you were looking for.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide!

Leonel Funes

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
Hi there, and welcome to the forums and to the world of Android!

To be honest, I do not know much about the first two phones you suggested; so hopefully another user more well-versed with those two models will chime in for you!

With regards to the Samsung Galaxy S6 and Note 5, I'd say those are two fairly solid options for you. As you've stated, the S6 is a satisfactory device for a lot of users. And the Note 5 seems to be the Note device that everyone loves! If I were to recommend either, it'd most likely be the Note 5. Good size, good display and camera, and you still get the S-Pen that you were looking for.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide!

Awesome, thanks! Any idea what's the latest OS they're running?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Awesome, thanks! Any idea what's the latest OS they're running?

According to a Google search, the Samsung Galaxy S6 comes with Lollipop (5.0) out of the box; but can be updated to Nougat (7.0).

The Samsung Galaxy Note 5 (also according to Google) also ships with 5.1; and it looks like it also can get Nougat! So at least you can download the latest software on them.

StayClassy101

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I noticed you didn't mention the moto g5, I found it to be smooth and consistent with it's performance. the only thing it dont have is NFC as a missing feature I'd miss. other than that I find it phenomenal and it's carrier agnostic so you can use it with any carrier

worldspy99

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I actually recommend a LG G5. Sprint is having a fire sale at $145 and it should work on Boost out of the box.
Good luck.

CaymanDreamin

Aug 4, 2017
Visit site
I have to 2nd the Moto G5 recommendation. Clean version of Android and will get Oreo later this year. If you want something a little bigger, the Moto G5S Plus is coming out soon as well. As a side note, I just moved my whole family from Windows Phone last month. We all have Moto now, Z2 Force, Z2 Play and G5 Plus.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I have to 2nd the Moto G5 recommendation. Clean version of Android and will get Oreo later this year. If you want something a little bigger, the Moto G5S Plus is coming out soon as well. As a side note, I just moved my whole family from Windows Phone last month. We all have Moto now, Z2 Force, Z2 Play and G5 Plus.

Awesome! How are you/your relative enjoying the Z2 Play?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I have the Z2 Force, need the shatter proof screen, my wife has the Play. She really likes it so far. I'm impressed by how long her battery lasts.

Great! I've heard the battery on the Z2 Play is really good. Oh wow! I didn't know the Z2 Force had a shatterproof screen! Awesome! How is your battery life?

CaymanDreamin

Aug 4, 2017
Visit site
Great! I've heard the battery on the Z2 Play is really good. Oh wow! I didn't know the Z2 Force had a shatterproof screen! Awesome! How is your battery life?
4 year guarantee against the screen breaking. Wish the battery was better. My cell is my primary line for work, so between that, podcasts and some light gaming, I go through a lot of battery. If I wasn't by a charger I'd probably invest in a battery mod.

Leonel Funes

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
Thank you all for your input! I didn't list them since I haven't caught up with Android phones in a while... The LG G5 and Moto G5/G5 Plus are great options as well! I'm coming from a Lumia 650, so I'm not really looking for the best, highest specced phone. And the lack of NFC is not a miss, but is a nice bonus. So my new options are:

ZTE MAX
LG Stylo 3

Samsung Galaxy S6
Samsung Galaxy Note 5
LG G5
Moto G5

All great options! Luckily I'm looking to switching in the next couple of days more (just to enjoy it a bit longer) but I'll let you guys know whatI got!

Also, just checking up on the latest Android features and updates. How things have changed. Haven't used it since the days of Jelly Bean 4.3 - So cool!

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
4 year guarantee against the screen breaking. Wish the battery was better. My cell is my primary line for work, so between that, podcasts and some light gaming, I go through a lot of battery. If I wasn't by a charger I'd probably invest in a battery mod.

Thank you! I'm interested in the Moto Z2 line but the battery makes me wary. But yeah, when you're always near a charger or have a battery mod, that really helps!

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Thank you all for your input! I didn't list them since I haven't caught up with Android phones in a while... The LG G5 and Moto G5/G5 Plus are great options as well! I'm coming from a Lumia 650, so I'm not really looking for the best, highest specced phone. And the lack of NFC is not a miss, but is a nice bonus. So my new options are:

ZTE MAX
LG Stylo 3

Samsung Galaxy S6
Samsung Galaxy Note 5
LG G5
Moto G5

All great options! Luckily I'm looking to switching in the next couple of days more (just to enjoy it a bit longer) but I'll let you guys know whatI got!

Also, just checking up on the latest Android features and updates. How things have changed. Haven't used it since the days of Jelly Bean 4.3 - So cool!

That's an impressive lineup of choices you've got, there! Yes, please let us know what you decide!

And you're right: lots has changed since Jelly Bean! We're sure you'll love it here in the world of Android. :)

CaymanDreamin

Aug 4, 2017
Visit site
Thank you! I'm interested in the Moto Z2 line but the battery makes me wary. But yeah, when you're always near a charger or have a battery mod, that really helps!
I've been really impressed with the performance on the Force. Same internals as the Galaxy 8 but more efficient due to the cleaner version of the OS. Works great with the daydream VR too.

CaymanDreamin

Aug 4, 2017
Visit site

On that note, one other thing to consider is how long the device will get security and OS updates from the OEM. A few of your choices are older models and may not get updates much longer. I'd definitely make that part of your research.

StayClassy101

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I can't speak for the rest, but I know the moto G5 was announced to get Oreo. and as for security updates. it feels like every 4 months so far is the pattern with moto.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
The S6 and Note 5 might not get Oreo. They already received 2 major OS updates, and Samsung's pattern is 2 major OS updates, and security updates for at least 3 years. So it can see another year of security updates.

Pricing for the G5 is similar to an S7, so the OP can consider an S7 variant over the S6. That model would still be able to get Oreo and 2 years more of security updates.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
The S6 and Note 5 might not get Oreo. They already received 2 major OS updates, and Samsung's pattern is 2 major OS updates, and security updates for at least 3 years. So it can see another year of security updates.

Pricing for the G5 is similar to an S7, so the OP can consider an S7 variant over the S6. That model would still be able to get Oreo and 2 years more of security updates.

Very good point about the S7 variant.