Good $200 budget phone

anon(5743667)

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Zenfone 4 Max (unlocked)

Pros: Huge 5000mAh battery, 32GB storage, 3GB RAM, fast camera, fluid UI, solid metal build, bright display, bottom speaker, fingerprint sensor

Cons: No NFC, Snapdragon 430, 720p 5.5” screen

Moto G5 Plus (unlocked)

Pros: Snapdragon 625, 32GB storage, plain stock Android, lightweight metal/plastic build, Moto actions, good camera, 1080p 5.2” screen, front speaker, 3000mAh battery, fingerprint sensor

Cons: No NFC, 2GB RAM, somewhat dim display, huge ugly camera

Moto G5S Plus (unlocked)

Pros: 5.5” 1080p display, bright screen, Snapdragon 625, 3GB RAM, 3000mAh battery, fingerprint sensor, pure stock Android, full metal build, Moto actions

Cons: Huge ugly camera, no NFC

ZTE Blade V8 Pro (unlocked)

Pros: 5.5” 1080p display, Snapdragon 625, 32GB storage, 3GB RAM, fingerprint sensor, NFC, USB-C, 3100mAh battery, solid metal/plastic build

Cons: Stuck on Android 6.0

Alcatel Idol 5S (unlocked)

Pros: 5.5” 1080p screen, Snapdragon 625, 32GB storage, 3GB RAM, dual front facing speakers, USB-C, fingerprint sensor, Android 7.1

Cons: Glass back (few cases available), 2700mAh battery, no NFC

LG Stylo 3 Plus (T-Mobile)

Pros: Removable battery, 32GB storage, built-in stylus, huge 5.7” 1080p display, NFC, 3080mAh battery, fingerprint sensor

Cons: Snapdragon 435, 2GB RAM, rear speaker, cheap-feeling plastic build

Galaxy J7 Prime (T-Mobile)

Pros: Bright screen, side speaker, removable battery, typical Galaxy UI and features, 3300mAh battery, solid plastic build

Cons: 16GB storage, 2GB RAM, 720p 5.5” display, no NFC, no fingerprint sensor

Nokia 6 (unlocked)

Pros: 5.5” 1080p display, NFC, 3GB RAM, pure stock Android, 3000mAh battery, solid metal build, fingerprint sensor

Cons: Snapdragon 430, HMD is a new and unproven company

Last edited:

Ten Four

Jan 14, 2016
Visit site
Good list. If this weren't an Android forum I would add the iPhone SE available for $149 or so at Best Buy and other outlets right now. The trick is to get a good camera in this price range. I am very happy with the camera on my Nokia 5X purchased through Project Fi for $249, but I don't see anything with comparable photo quality available right now.

Apple2Droid

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
If you're interested in the Moto G5 +, I may have a deal for you. There are some Walmart stores that have the unlocked 4GB/64GB version, which is listed for $299, on closeout sale for $199. If you download the app and search for item number "468426732." Or you can search on "Motorola Moto G5 Plus 64GB."

Let it find your closest local store by allowing Location to search. The results will show availability on Walmart.com [but you can't find the deal at the website, only the app]. Towards the top of the screen, choose “at your store”. Chances are it will say “We found zero results”. At the bottom of the screen choose “change store” and then enter the zip code of another store in your area. You have to keep repeating this procedure with all zip codes in your area until you find one in stock or run out of options. When you have a store that has it and you click on it, the item page you'll see shows the $299 price but when you scroll down the page you should see the specific store info and the $199 price. –This repeating is a pain but, if you have a fair number of stores near you, you might just find a deal.

There are two catches on this. First, it's only available via in-store pick up and can't be shipped or transferred from another store. Two, the the store employees might not know about this 64 GB version. I was in a store yesterday and they told me that the one in inventory was available was the demo model, and this wasn't true. So if you see it in the app, and you're interested in it, be persistent and maybe call before you go there.

Just a thought . . .

Regarding NFC, I've. seen in spec sheets that this phone actually does have NFC but the Motorola website says no

worldspy99

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Why is the Honor 8 not on this list? It will wipe the floor in terms of camera, RAM, battery and performance versus all the other phones listed here. There are deals to buy it for $230 for the 64GB version. This phone also has a SD card to boot.

anon(5743667)

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Why is the Honor 8 not on this list? It will wipe the floor in terms of camera, RAM, battery and performance versus all the other phones listed here. There are deals to buy it for $230 for the 64GB version. This phone also has a SD card to boot.

Because according to Huawei the Honor 8 flopped in the US and isn’t receiving much support as a result.

anon(5743667)

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Good list. If this weren't an Android forum I would add the iPhone SE available for $149 or so at Best Buy and other outlets right now. The trick is to get a good camera in this price range. I am very happy with the camera on my Nokia 5X purchased through Project Fi for $249, but I don't see anything with comparable photo quality available right now.

I actually have an iPhone SE; I want to switch back to Android.

Ten Four

Jan 14, 2016
Visit site
I actually have an iPhone SE; I want to switch back to Android.
Is it the phone or iOS? Everyone in my immediate family has an iPhone, and my wife loves her SE. I'm the only one on Android and I do look enviously at the smaller form factor on iPhones. The one thing I notice is that they go for years without doing one single thing to their phones and they just work until they break it or buy a new phone, but those of us on Android have to be tweaking stuff all the time.