New to android, please guide me through this android phones options!!

MRISX

Oct 29, 2016
Visit site
Hi, I have been out of Android world for a while and at some point I got disconnected from reviews and specs. I would like to come back, something I need to clarify is that I am not a heavy user anymore.

Right now I am between:
-Samsung - J5 PRO (2017)
-Samsung - A5 (2017)

That size seems good for my use, which is mainly social media, music, YouTube, WebBrowser, etc. no games, photos are important but occasional, so I dont need the best. From the A, I am worried on the glass back, I am not famous by the good care I give to my phones =S. I even prefer to use them without any cover/case.

During my research, I also went to see the Motorolas. X4 and G5s plus, although the prices are high because I can not get a deal on those. (I am buying outside USA). And the size and design are kind of big for me. I use the phones on my jeans pocket.

I want to keep my phone for a couple of years, reason why I left out the J and A 2016, to at least have one more update on the 2017 models. But maybe you know better and the 2016 could be a better cheaper option? I am looking to expend the less I can.

Currently I have a iPhone 5S and I definitely want something with bigger screen.

What do you think, could you please advise between A and J product lines from Samsung and maybe some alternatives on other companies?
Thanks!

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Hello there! Though I am not very well-versed on those specific Samsung products, I'll do my best to help!

A few thoughts that came to mind upon reading your post:

- glass backs do mean a bit more fragility, but that doesn't necessarily mean that you shouldn't buy one! My Honor 8 has a glass back and though I'm a little worried about its fate sometimes, it has sustained a couple drops and accidental "bumps" into walls (don't ask, haha). And you can very often buy glass back protectors for your phone; much like screen protectors, I suspect.

- speaking of the Honor 8, that is a great, midrange (so it's more economical in price) phone with great specs. A small phone at 5.2", 3000 mAh, and dual cameras with nice results for when you want to take the occasional picture. Newegg's website usually has them on for awesome deals around Christmastime - I bought mine December of last year!

- with regards to the Moto series: if you know you do not like the look or aesthetics of the phone, I do not recommend considering it. You'll be looking at this phone for a couple of years - best to buy something you'll really love!

- I would go to a store near you that sells both Samsung models that you are considering; and try them out in the store. See what they feel like in the hand, and try and think about which one you'd enjoy looking at/using long-term.

- with regards to last year's phones, you can certainly find one at a great price and can rest assured about it getting updates for at least another year. Android phones usually get updates for two years after their launch date, from what I understand.
--> Going off of that, since you are looking for a smaller phone and a solid performer that would last a couple of years, have you considered the original Pixel phone? It's at 5", 2770 mAh (a little smaller in battery power), and it's stock Android. Plus, it's a Google phone, so it'll be first in line for OS updates!
--> Also, even if a phone is over its two-year OS updates timeframe, that doesn't mean it will stop performing well. As long as you maintain the phone to the best of your ability and maybe clean up a couple of apps and free some space up here and there, you may be able to get a longer lifespan out of it. I've had friends use phones (Nexus 5, for example) long after software updates were available for them, and they still performed adequately.

I'm sorry, this turned more into an essay than an answer to your post! Please feel free to keep us updated on what phone you decide on! And feel free to ask us more questions and tell us more about what you're looking for in a phone!

MRISX

Oct 29, 2016
Visit site
You are right regarding the Moto, I will discard those just by design.

Regarding both Samsung’s, I really like both, a little more then J5 pro, but being a lower end device, I am worried of it being future proof, specially its 2 Gb of Ram.

From the A5, 2017 .... I just think It’s a little bit extra expensive just for being “Samsung” and it’s definetlu not the best bang for the buck.

On HTC and Lg, what would be the A5 2017 spec equivalent?

Thanks

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Issues on the J series. The J series from Samsung's only get 0-1 OS updates. The A series gets 1-2 OS updates. So that rules out the J5 Pro for you.

Another option would be to look for stores still selling the S7 (not Edge) brand new in box. It will only get up to Oreo, but Samsung flagships are looking at 3 years of security updates, so you'll still be getting security updates until 2019. It will also have better performance than both phones you mentioned, and the price should be closer to the A5 now. A second hand unit would be cheaper, but it's hard to predict how much abuse the phone has had.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
You are right regarding the Moto, I will discard those just by design.

Regarding both Samsung’s, I really like both, a little more then J5 pro, but being a lower end device, I am worried of it being future proof, specially its 2 Gb of Ram.

From the A5, 2017 .... I just think It’s a little bit extra expensive just for being “Samsung” and it’s definetlu not the best bang for the buck.

On HTC and Lg, what would be the A5 2017 spec equivalent?

Thanks

You could definitely take a look at the HTC U11 Life. It is a smaller but gorgeous phone at 5.2", has a great camera, still has the Squeeze feature, and has 4 GB of RAM, which may ease your mind a bit. It has a 2600 mAh, which I guess is a bit lower due to the phone being so small; however HTC has an excellent charging rate from what I recall of the HTC U11 reviews. It's all the same software or similar - just in a smaller package. And it's also water resistant!

MRISX

Oct 29, 2016
Visit site
Well, today I went to the store and I am decided on the A5 on style, unfortunately the Moto G5 with its extra Gb on RAM and better camera is seducing me. I try to see also the U11, but price is notably higher at least on my conuntry. Asked also for the S7, but the only available was S7 edge, also with an important price difference.

It seems that If i want spec the G5 or G5 plus is the way to go, If i look style i prefer the j5 2017, and the middle is the A5 2017. The only frequent complaint I see is about the camera =/ i guess you cant have it all at this pricepoint.

One last suggestion before I make my mind?

Thanks, I really appreciate your help.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
You're going to put it in a case anyway, so style<performance.

Personally I'd pick a Samsung over a Moto but that's because aftermarket support for Moto in my country sucks. Plus I'm too used to Samsung software. Samsung's have other nice things going for them like SmartSwitch and Sidesync.

MRISX

Oct 29, 2016
Visit site
I use a case for couple months then I got tired and used it alone. Not very good idea, but I prefer that space on my jean pocket.
Any idea, if the A5 2017 front camera improved after the updates?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Well, today I went to the store and I am decided on the A5 on style, unfortunately the Moto G5 with its extra Gb on RAM and better camera is seducing me. I try to see also the U11, but price is notably higher at least on my conuntry. Asked also for the S7, but the only available was S7 edge, also with an important price difference.

It seems that If i want spec the G5 or G5 plus is the way to go, If i look style i prefer the j5 2017, and the middle is the A5 2017. The only frequent complaint I see is about the camera =/ i guess you cant have it all at this pricepoint.

One last suggestion before I make my mind?

Thanks, I really appreciate your help.

I would say go with your gut. If you think you'd like the Moto series, go for it! Sometimes, despite all the research, charts, and review videos you watch (this is how I decide on a new phone LOOL), you may just feel a "pull" towards a certain phone and that is that.

With regards to the Samsung camera, I'd say that Samsung makes great cameras in general; so I'm sure you'd be happy with the product! Not sure if it gets updated later, but I'm sure that's something you can ask customer support.

Here is a screenshot I took from GSM Arena about the A5 2017's camera specs. 16 MP is pretty good! I wouldn't worry too much about the camera! Maybe even try it out in the store to see what it's like!

Attachments

• 31367.jpg
    31367.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 11

MRISX

Oct 29, 2016
Visit site
We can close this topic, at the end I got the Samsung. Honor 8 was almost double the price with my carrier. At the end, I am satisfied with what I got and coming from a very old iphone, this is definetly an upgrade on all senses.
Thank you all.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
We can close this topic, at the end I got the Samsung. Honor 8 was almost double the price with my carrier. At the end, I am satisfied with what I got and coming from a very old iphone, this is definetly an upgrade on all senses.
Thank you all.
First thing you should do on a Samsung is setup Sidesync on your home PC. That way even in the event that your phone screen breaks, you can still connect the phone to the PC with Sidesync and control the phone via mouse and keyboard and PC screen to unlock and retrieve your data.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Thank you all.

So glad you are enjoying your Samsung device!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seniorengineerdood