Mid Tier less than 5.5" ??

Jonathanmr7

Jul 15, 2017
Visit site
Hi!

So im looking a new mid tier smarthphone with a good battery life,size 5 to 5.3! Small size, big screen, micro sd (water proof optional, i have a motorcycle) max budged 400 or 450$( im from Costa Rica so need to add taxes, shipping) i have a Redmi Note 4 like 8 months and i love it! SUPER amazing battery life, good speed, Miui 9 its amazing and all the phone!! the problem its the size... 5.5 and i want something more little and the same time powerfull, Xiaomi have the Redmi 4 Pro (have all the same specs of the Redmi note 4 and its 5" but xiaomi leave that phone on the dust with no reasons :(

Obviously im looking something better than the Redmi note 4, dont want to downgrade just for the size...

Was seing the Xperia XA2 coming on february and looks cool... but any ideas or recomendations?

Last edited:

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Pixel 2, try to snag it on a sale. As an example, Verizon is selling it buy one get one currently (I know you're probably not on Verizon, so just as an example).

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Have you considered the Moto G5 Plus? It's 5.2", has a 3000 mAh battery, and is splash and dust resistant. Here is GSM Arena's spec sheet on the phone:

worldspy99

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Samsung Galaxy A3 2017?
Also the XA2 is a good looking device in your budget.
Lastly I would recommend an Essential phone - new resale from Ebay delivered from USA.

Jonathanmr7

Jul 15, 2017
Visit site
What about the essential phone?

Looks cool but i dont know who they are, i mean about support, brand, etc..

Samsung Galaxy A3 2017?
Also the XA2 is a good looking device in your budget.
Lastly I would recommend an Essential phone - new resale from Ebay delivered from USA.

Better the A5 2017 :p well im seeing the XA2 or A5 2017
The XA2 have better screen-to-body ratio, battery, comes with oreo but the A5 its IP68 certified and local store have it on 330$ so... :& but dont know

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Sony is pretty expensive for the specs IMO. More than Samsung I think. At least Samsung gives you software tricks.

At mid range I'd go for Moto, or maybe a first gen Pixel if you can find one brand new in box, or a OnePlus 3T.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Sony is pretty expensive for the specs IMO. More than Samsung I think. At least Samsung gives you software tricks.

At mid range I'd go for Moto, or maybe a first gen Pixel if you can find one brand new in box, or a OnePlus 3T.

Oh yeah, OnePlus 3T is a great idea!

Jonathanmr7

Jul 15, 2017
Visit site
Thanks you guys for the feedback, just a reminder... Remember the point of the post :p I'm looking a phone less than my redmi note 4 on size and screen (-5.5") but with good battery, microSD and same or better power with a max budged of 400 or 450$

I'm not looking a little budged phone or something with similar size to my red mi note 4 but more power

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
i'd 100% go essential phone with this description - it lacks microSD but otherwise knocks your list out of the park ...

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The Essential Phone is currently $435 on Amazon (128 GB version): https://www.amazon.com/Essential-Ph...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6146032. Essential was founded by Andy Rubin, the guy credited with inventing Android itself. There was a lot of hype when it came out, but there were a number of issues that hadn't been ironed out prior to the launch, which earned it a lot of negative reviews (one of the main issues being the mediocre camera). They've pushed a number of updates that have remedied a bunch of those issues, and also dropped the price significantly (it originally sold for $699). Given the clout that Rubin has, it's likely that the company will weather this and continue supporting the phone (at least for the next 2 years, which is probably the duration that you'd own it before upgrading to something else).

Regarding size, although the Essential Phone has a larger screen (5.7"), remember that it has no bezels, so the actual size of the phone is smaller than your Redmi Note 4: https://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Essential-Phone,Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-4/phones/10548,10212

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
Looks cool but i dont know who they are, i mean about support, brand, etc..

Better the A5 2017 :p well im seeing the XA2 or A5 2017
The XA2 have better screen-to-body ratio, battery, comes with oreo but the A5 its IP68 certified and local store have it on 330$ so... :& but dont know

I have the A3 2017 and it's really good. You can't go wrong with the A5. Performance is good, cameras are solid (even in low light). The A3's battery life is great so I can only imagine how it is for the A5.

At the same time the XA2 might be a better choice for you.

Jonathanmr7

Jul 15, 2017
Visit site
If you can stretch your budget just a little more, the Xperia XZ1 Compact is also worth a look: https://www.amazon.com/Sony-Xperia-...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6148080

i was thinking on it but its so little xD thanks anyway

I have the A3 2017 and it's really good. You can't go wrong with the A5. Performance is good, cameras are solid (even in low light). The A3's battery life is great so I can only imagine how it is for the A5.

At the same time the XA2 might be a better choice for you.

Right now im going to wait for the release of the XA2, see a real review and if there is any problem with the phone, the essential better with maybe an "essential 2" because there is a lot of problems with the phone right now and not worth the risk

BTW i was searching for the A5 and see some sites and forums say the A5 and A3 have problems with the wifi signal, getting lost and more ... u know something about this or its okay ur A3?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC