Tablets that are not limited to 2GB for apps

djrakowski

Q&A Team
May 4, 2011
Visit site
I've used plenty of Android tablets, including higher-end models with 32GB or more of internal storage and lower-end models with less than 16GB. None of them were limited to 2GB of storage for apps. I don't even think there's a 2GB limit on the size of an individual app, though I can't recall ever having used an app that consumed a ton of space like that.

Prioris Prioris

Feb 18, 2018
Visit site
I don't want to waste my time. I asked for documented proof. None was provided.

You say I can't trust company rep. Do I trust you. It would be amazing to find that the suggested tablet has way more available app space than a way more expensive galaxy brand.

As far as the P6200 and Asphalt 7 ... it is clear you aren't reading my posts.

And there is no confusion between RAM and app storage memory.

I will keep the suggested tablet in mind. Amazon does have a 30 day return I think. If I buy it, i will come back here and tell you what my result is.

The bottom line: tablet manufacturers hide app storage information and that most tablets are limited to 2 GB or less for apps

I will let this thread rest. I don't have anymore to add for now.

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
The bottom line: tablet manufacturers hide app storage information and that most tablets are limited to 2 GB or less for apps

I think this is the part people have a problem with... because there simply is no conspiracy. The closest thing I can find that matches anywhere near what you're alleging is the Google Play limit on apk file sizes, found here: https://developer.android.com/google/play/expansion-files.html which is that a developer's apk file needs to be less than 100 GB and the app can up to two apk expansion files that are downloaded when running the app and those can be up to 2 GB each. Therefore the largest any app can be, at present, is 4 GB + 100 MB for app data, not including user data, cache, etc.

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2016
Visit site
I think I actually did have a device once with such a limit (much smaller even than 2GB).
So it is possible that some/all of the tablets the OP has tried really do have a non-obvious limit.

Still, it is fairly clear that any newish device from a well known brand doesn't have this issue. In fact, with adopted storage --available on devices such as the suggested Lenovo-- you can theoretically install 100s of GBs of apps.

OP: it is clear you aren't going to believe any of us. This is fine. Like you mentioned, you can always return the tablet if it doesn't work.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I don't want to waste my time. I asked for documented proof. None was provided.

You say I can't trust company rep. Do I trust you. It would be amazing to find that the suggested tablet has way more available app space than a way more expensive galaxy brand.

As far as the P6200 and Asphalt 7 ... it is clear you aren't reading my posts.

And there is no confusion between RAM and app storage memory.

I will keep the suggested tablet in mind. Amazon does have a 30 day return I think. If I buy it, i will come back here and tell you what my result is.

P6200 is a Galaxy. And what do you mean I didn't read? I read. You kept on claiming that it only has 2GB for apps. That app is bigger than 2GB. So what's the issue?

I've only used Samsung and Lenovo tablets and I've never encountered the limitation you speak of.

I'll get you a screenshot of my tablet once I get home. Seems. I forgot to post that.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I think I actually did have a device once with such a limit (much smaller even than 2GB).
So it is possible that some/all of the tablets the OP has tried really do have a non-obvious limit.

When I had my Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch (always a mouthful) aka E4GT, that did have a partition where only 2 GB of the internal was for apps. But that was also Gingerbread. For the life of me, I can't remember if when it went to ICS if it had the same issue. I can't check because I did something stupid with the file system and it is a lovely looking paperweight.

Edit: I found a Quora forum that has a screenshot of what I am describing.

https://www.quora.com/Why-am-I-unab...gh-I-have-an-internal-storage-available-190mb

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I'm just replying to this so that if anyone happens to stumble upon this thread via search. I want to reiterate - the "bottom line" quoted here is not the bottom line.

It's untrue. It's fiction.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm just replying to this so that if anyone happens to stumble upon this thread via search. I want to reiterate - the "bottom line" quoted here is not the bottom line.

It's untrue. It's fiction.
And I took a photo of my storage stats on my Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 running Lineage 13.0

IMG_20180223_224030.jpg

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Here you go @Prioris Prioris. Definitive proof that Android tablets have more than 2GB for app installations:

Galaxy Tab 4, official firmware (yeah support has ended, it's like a 4 year old device already)
Screenshot_2018-02-24-18-51-42.png

SD card unmounted, over 3GB used space:
Screenshot_2018-02-24-18-48-26.png

3GB used by installed applications:
Screenshot_2018-02-24-18-48-36.png

Screenshots of some of the installed apps, totalling way over 2GB:
Screenshot_2018-02-24-18-51-15.png
Screenshot_2018-02-24-18-51-21.png
Screenshot_2018-02-24-18-51-26.png

EDIT: Dang what is wrong with this forum not posting my pics

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I had the Toshiba Thrive (a dinosaur but mine is still going strong) that had a 3GB "limit" for apps even though mine was 16gb. It was a well known issue for that tablet. We had a separate forum and the devs had some great custom ROMs and you really had to root the tablet because the stock ROM was a bloated mess.

As far as other tablets, I have never seen that issue. I have a ZTE Trek 2 HD tablet and I have alot of apps and am well over 3 GB.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I think the key phrase in all this is "economical tablets". Buy a 10" device under $200 and you're not getting much storage space to begin with, and likely no native support for moving apps to SD cards. I now have my third tablet, with the first being from the Honeycomb days, I don't ever recall having a 2 GB limit on app installations.

Now - I wasn't exactly buying budget devices (Acer Iconia A500, 2014 Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, Samsung Galaxy Tab S3) but NONE of those had an artificial limitation on the app installations, the only limitation was the amount of storage in the system.

There's no overall "conspiracy" in the Android world as it relates to the amount of storage available for apps, the issue is simply the quality of the devices being purchased and the lack of OS support from the manufacturer.

I'd say this article is relevant here:
https://www.androidcentral.com/please-dont-buy-crappy-cheap-tablet-black-friday

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I had the Toshiba Thrive (a dinosaur but mine is still going strong) that had a 3GB "limit" for apps even though mine was 16gb

That's probably because the system was using the old way of partitioning Internal Storage into an App Installation area (the 3 GB partition) and an "internal SD" that acted like an SD card (i.e., you could only save data files to it, not install apps to it).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance