Hi,

Am in the US, going to the Scotland this summer for a bit. Have an unlocked iPhone but prefer to leave it with the US SIM installed. So, I'd like to get an Android phone for local use while in Scotland. Plan would be to pick up a pay as you go type SIM for local service on the Android (recommendations for that too would be appreciated - data and voice).

I've poked around some of the Moto phones, etc. but it seems like there are so many different versions on Amazon, etc. I don't want to make the mistake of buying model X when it lacks band Y that would be required to work with carriers there in Scotland.

I'd prefer to spend $300 or less. Maybe would stretch that for a terrific value.

TIA for any recommendations.
    05-31-2018 01:07 PM
    Hi,

Am in the US, going to the Scotland this summer for a bit. Have an unlocked iPhone but prefer to leave it with the US SIM installed. So, I'd like to get an Android phone for local use while in Scotland. Plan would be to pick up a pay as you go type SIM for local service on the Android (recommendations for that too would be appreciated - data and voice).

I've poked around some of the Moto phones, etc. but it seems like there are so many different versions on Amazon, etc. I don't want to make the mistake of buying model X when it lacks band Y that would be required to work with carriers there in Scotland.

I'd prefer to spend $300 or less. Maybe would stretch that for a terrific value.

TIA for any recommendations.
    Which carrier are you going to use it on?

You can use Frequency Check to compare models with carriers.

https://www.frequencycheck.com/carri...&commit=Search
    05-31-2018 01:21 PM
    Not sure which carrier you're in or what's your current plan, but if you're spending 300 bucks on a phone, wouldn't it be better to pay the roaming/data fee if you MUST use your current SIM in your iPhone? If you're in T-Mobile's plan, Scotland is included in the free data/text roaming plan.

Also, if you're staying in a brand-name hotel, call ahead and ask if they offer free phones with the room (most chains in top destinations are beginning to do that, and the phone lets you make local calls and have free data while at your stay, especially Sheratons).
    05-31-2018 01:26 PM
    Which carrier are you going to use it on?

You can use Frequency Check to compare models with carriers.

https://www.frequencycheck.com/carri...&commit=Search
    Hmm. I'm pretty much neutral re: carrier as I've not yet had a chance to research that. Figured I'd pick up a SIM at the airport or a shop local to my hotel. Was hoping that there was a phone that would work regardless of which carrier I chose. Thanks for the link to FC - looks like EE and Vodaphone use the greatest variety of bands, so I'll start there thanks!
    05-31-2018 01:31 PM
    Not sure which carrier you're in or what's your current plan, but if you're spending 300 bucks on a phone, wouldn't it be better to pay the roaming/data fee if you MUST use your current SIM in your iPhone? If you're in T-Mobile's plan, Scotland is included in the free data/text roaming plan.

Also, if you're staying in a brand-name hotel, call ahead and ask if they offer free phones with the room (most chains in top destinations are beginning to do that, and the phone lets you make local calls and have free data while at your stay, especially Sheratons).
    I am doing the international passport with AT&T, $10/day, with my iPhone. However, the issue is that there's some local communication I must keep completely separate. Long story, but gotta be done. Interesting about the hotel - I'm staying at a nice place, so I'll ask!
    05-31-2018 01:33 PM
    Hmm. I'm pretty much neutral re: carrier as I've not yet had a chance to research that. Figured I'd pick up a SIM at the airport or a shop local to my hotel.
    Pick a carrier that covers the areas you'll be in, if you have anyone to ask to go to those areas and check. Otherwise, it's blind chance. But you have to pick a carrier before you pick a phone. Not all phones will work on all carriers, even in the UK. You'll notice that EE has only 3 4G bands and Vodaphone 4. Since you don't know which carrier uses which band where, your best bet is to find a phone that handles 900 and 1800 2G (which is probably every current GSM phone) and Bands 1, 3, 7 and 20 for 4G.

After than, choose by functions, niceties (Do you want an SD card? Some phones don't have slots for them. Do you want a 3.5mm earphone jack? Some phones use Type C adapters. Etc.)

My one concern is that you're switching from the iPhone universe to the Android universe. Unless you've used an Android device extensively in the past, you're in for a shock. (And some things you take for granted in the iWorld you just can't do with an Android.)
    05-31-2018 03:15 PM
    Pick a carrier that covers the areas you'll be in, if you have anyone to ask to go to those areas and check. Otherwise, it's blind chance. But you have to pick a carrier before you pick a phone. Not all phones will work on all carriers, even in the UK. You'll notice that EE has only 3 4G bands and Vodaphone 4. Since you don't know which carrier uses which band where, your best bet is to find a phone that handles 900 and 1800 2G (which is probably every current GSM phone) and Bands 1, 3, 7 and 20 for 4G.

After than, choose by functions, niceties (Do you want an SD card? Some phones don't have slots for them. Do you want a 3.5mm earphone jack? Some phones use Type C adapters. Etc.)

My one concern is that you're switching from the iPhone universe to the Android universe. Unless you've used an Android device extensively in the past, you're in for a shock. (And some things you take for granted in the iWorld you just can't do with an Android.)
    Thanks - great advice! I've used Android phones in the past, but it's been a while. I suppose I could get a cheap used and unlocked iPhone for familiarity's sake, but, I'm planning to used Google services pretty much exclusively on this "other" device. Looks like Vodafone is a good bet (there's even a shop right by my hotel).
    05-31-2018 03:22 PM
    I recommend getting a used Pixel (unlocked or Verizon version) from eBay for about $175. Pure Google, camera is still superb, battery life is decent and works like a champ in the UK. I picked up a SIM card from Heathrow last year and used it for the 5 days I was there on my original Pixel without any issues.
    06-01-2018 11:54 AM
    Best buy has the Moto G6 or $199 today which is a stellar deal if you don't mind a slightly larger phone.
    Ry and Morty2264 like this.
    06-01-2018 02:21 PM
    ^^^
    Great thoughts guys, thanks!
    06-01-2018 02:24 PM
    Best buy has the Moto G6 or $199 today which is a stellar deal if you don't mind a slightly larger phone.
    That is an amazing deal, for sure! Wow!
    06-02-2018 11:31 PM