Nearly three years now I've been using the Oneplus X and it's finally starting to show a tiny bit of aging. Not complaining at all, it's still doing great, but I think I'll need to get a new phone sometime this year so I'm just looking at my options. If money wasn't an issue I'd definitely 100% stay with Oneplus but I'm not sure I can justify spending 560 euros on a device I might lose or break etc.

Biggest amount I'm comfortable spending is around 300-350. I have two real requirements: should last at least 2,5 years without significant issues/slowing down and an OLED screen (>400 ppi). Preferably as close to stock android as possible, not made of plastic-y materials and decent sound through headphones. I'll mostly use it for watching films, reading articles and e-books, social media and the occasional casual game.

Any pointers on phones/upcoming releases I should look out for would be much appreciated
    01-09-2019 07:05 PM
    If money wasn't an issue I'd definitely 100% stay with Oneplus but I'm not sure I can justify spending 560 euros on a device I might lose or break etc.
    As far as breaking, there are some nearly indestructible cases for around €10. Look on Amazon.

should last at least 2,5 years without significant issues/slowing down
    Just about any phone. (My Note 3, made in 2013, still runs the way it did when it was new. (Even my Samsung Precedent, 7-1/2 years old now, still works as well as it did [as a computer - the carrier no longer accepts it on their network due to technical changes since then].)

and an OLED screen (>400 ppi).
    Strictly OLED, or are you including AMOLED and P-OLED?

Preferably as close to stock android as possible, not made of plastic-y materials and decent sound through headphones.
    That would be a Pixel of some vintage or other, of course. Or any phone running the Pixel launcher. The apps are the apps, they're the same on a Pixel as they are n the OnePlus.

Any pointers on phones/upcoming releases I should look out for would be much appreciated
    Upcoming releases in the €300-€350 range with OLED? Not any I've seen. Plenty of IPS screens in that range or less.

Or how about just clearing out the caches (system and app - they're completely separate) and unused files and installed apps in the OP you have, and just investing in a good case?
    foramevs likes this.
    01-10-2019 03:38 PM
    Just about any phone. (My Note 3, made in 2013, still runs the way it did when it was new. (Even my Samsung Precedent, 7-1/2 years old now, still works as well as it did [as a computer - the carrier no longer accepts it on their network due to technical changes since then.])
    I'm sure most phones within my current budget do, but the (admittedly very cheap) phones I had before my OPX became unusable after barely 15 months hence why I'm making it a point haha.

Strictly OLED, or are you including AMOLED and P-OLED?
    I prefer (AM/)OLED over pOLED, but I'm happy with anything that doesn't have a backlight.

Upcoming releases in the €300-€350 range with OLED? Not any I've seen. Plenty of IPS screens in that range or less.

Or how about just clearing out the caches (system and app - they're completely separate) and unused files and installed apps in the OP you have, and just investing in a good case?
    Bummer, I guess the OPX really was a 'hidden gem' in that regard. I regularly clear everything out and I suppose I could make it last another year if I really wanted to, but I'll be abroad a big chunk of 2019 so it's easier to just get a new one and not have to worry about it. Oh well.
    01-11-2019 01:15 PM
    Take a look at Samsung's A series. AMOLED screens and nice build quality but you have to deal with Samsung UX or install a custom launcher.
    01-13-2019 01:43 PM