Getting new phone, but unsure which one to buy...

Acantha

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
I'm looking to upgrade/replace my Samsung S8+. There are two features that I really don't like about it. One is that I can't set multiple do not disturb times. The other is the curved screen. I hate it. I can't find a case that will fit! And it's just annoying in general.

Everything else about it is fine, although it's nearly 2 and the battery isn't as good as it once was.

I need:
Same screen size (or larger)
Verizon compatible
Fingerprint sensor
Decent camera
FLAT (not curved) screen
Great battery life

Other features:
Lots of good, sturdy cases
Headphone jack
5G capability

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I'm looking to upgrade/replace my Samsung S8+. There are two features that I really don't like about it. One is that I can't set multiple do not disturb times. The other is the curved screen. I hate it. I can't find a case that will fit! And it's just annoying in general.

Everything else about it is fine, although it's nearly 2 and the battery isn't as good as it once was.

I need:
Same screen size (or larger)
Verizon compatible
Fingerprint sensor
Decent camera
FLAT (not curved) screen
Great battery life

Other features:
Lots of good, sturdy cases
Headphone jack
5G capability
S10e has a flat screen and headphone jack. But has same features and internal components as the more expensive S10s.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
5G capability

No phones have this yet, but the coming LG V50 will and it may tick the rest of your boxes. I'm on the V20, and it's been a great phone. If not for losing replaceable batteries and other changes, I'd upgrade and stick with the V series.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Looks like to V50 isn't out yet and there's no release date. What about the V40?
If I had to hold my nose and pick one of the current phones, I may go with the V40. The problem is that they made several design changes with the 30 and 40 that I don't like, so I'm still sticking with my V20 for the foreseeable future. The only reason I didn't suggest that one is because it's getting long in the tooth. It's over 2 years old, so you'd have to by used and battery life may be questionable due to age. Even new batteries may be a crap shoot for the same reason; being old stock can mean a degraded battery too.

Acantha

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
I used the search feature on GSM Arena, and I found the following phones that meet all my preferences:

Pixel 3 XL
Xiaomi Mi Mix 3
LG V40
ZTE axon 9 pro
Umidigi One max

I know some don't have headphone jacks, but I can live without one. I'm mostly concerned with a flat screen and availability of cases (good, sturdy cases as I'm prone to dropping my phone. A lot).

Acantha

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
If I had to hold my nose and pick one of the current phones, I may go with the V40. The problem is that they made several design changes with the 30 and 40 that I don't like, so I'm still sticking with my V20 for the foreseeable future. The only reason I didn't suggest that one is because it's getting long in the tooth. It's over 2 years old, so you'd have to by used and battery life may be questionable due to age. Even new batteries may be a crap shoot for the same reason; being old stock can mean a degraded battery too.
What features didn't you like?

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I used the search feature on GSM Arena, and I found the following phones that meet all my preferences:

Pixel 3 XL
Xiaomi Mi Mix 3
LG V40
ZTE axon 9 pro
Umidigi One max

I know some don't have headphone jacks, but I can live without one. I'm mostly concerned with a flat screen and availability of cases (good, sturdy cases as I'm prone to dropping my phone. A lot).
Do NOT buy Umidigi. Bought one and it was returned to Amazon within 4 months of purchase. Camera Rubbish, quality rubbish, software rubbish, customer service rubbish, updates non-existent. Just a terrible buy all round. Don't waste your money.

Acantha

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
Do NOT buy Umidigi. Bought one and it was returned to Amazon within 4 months of purchase. Camera Rubbish, quality rubbish, software rubbish, customer service rubbish, updates non-existent. Just a terrible buy all round. Don't waste your money.
Thanks, I can cross that one off my list. :)

worldspy99

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Pixel 3XL or even last years Pixel 2 XL are great devices. Yes no headphone jack but otherwise everything on your list is fine. And 5G phones will cost a bit more not to mention 5G service so you need to get that off your list as well.

Acantha

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
I end up getting the 3xl! I'm quite happy with it so far. I couldn't pass up the $200 off offer plus 0% APR. Plus I can trade in my old phone instead of putting it on CL or eBay.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I end up getting the 3xl! I'm quite happy with it so far. I couldn't pass up the $200 off offer plus 0% APR. Plus I can trade in my old phone instead of putting it on CL or eBay.

That's so awesome! Congratulations on your new Pixel 3 XL! Enjoy!