Buying paralysis, budget, midrange flagship no you just watch netflix and facebook, AGGGGGH

CellyPhoner

Jun 19, 2017
Visit site
Im going through a tough time deciding on a phone.

I started needing just a basic phone. But wanted a decentish camera (they all ok now days) ans good battery life and if possible nice screen for netflix etd.

Then OLED as I watch HDR in bed etc and OLED looks cool.

So I went, wait for mi A3 which could take months to be released

Buy the Galaxy A50, oled, camera has had update

But then Galasy s8 is $150 more

But then s10e is going for $150 more here

Where do you stop?

Can you guys help, and recommend what to do. We have a Xiaomi Store here, I considered the redmi note 7 but a50 is $60 more NZD

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Im going through a tough time deciding on a phone.

I started needing just a basic phone. But wanted a decentish camera (they all ok now days) ans good battery life and if possible nice screen for netflix etd.

Then OLED as I watch HDR in bed etc and OLED looks cool.

So I went, wait for mi A3 which could take months to be released

Buy the Galaxy A50, oled, camera has had update

But then Galasy s8 is $150 more

But then s10e is going for $150 more here

Where do you stop?

Can you guys help, and recommend what to do. We have a Xiaomi Store here, I considered the redmi note 7 but a50 is $60 more NZD

Not all low phones have a good camera. Pixel 3a has the best camera in a mid range phone but what other features are important to you and what is your price limit?

CellyPhoner

Jun 19, 2017
Visit site
I currently have a broken back and am limited in getting around, so am on a health benefit from the government which leaves me $30 a week in entertainment. My friend will lend me the money for a phone but I will have to pay it back. Sp the amount doesnt matter to a POINT. I have to pay it back as soon as able so dont want $1000 debt just for a phone.

Preferred would be sub $200-250usd

We have a Xiaomi Mi store here, so when the Mi A3 is released it is possible we will get it quickly. Also there are paralel importers who import foreign models to be sold locally.

I read the A50 has released an update that improves the camera quality (which was my only issue with it). Its an exynos chip here, outside US NZ gets screwed.

I will give example of prices

Redmi Note 7 is $330NZD/$215USD

Galaxy A50 $429/$280US

Galaxy S8 $560/365

Huawei p20 $600NZD/$319

S10e $800NZD

Of course there is used and new but private sellers, as an example I see used S8s for $350NZD in as new condition.

In reality I need

Web Browser
Facebook
Email
Camera good enough for selfies and web photos
Netflix, so an ok screen (high nits in sunlight if possible), OLED and HDR would be a dream as I cant afford a TV with OLED.

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I just wanted to make sure it was a Samsung and not something else. Me personally, I would go for the Samsung.

CellyPhoner

Jun 19, 2017
Visit site
Oh gotcha. Yes Samsung. I didnt think there was another a30. Well Ive been using a j4 which isnt any more powerful and has less ram, smaller battery and not a 1080p screen.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Oh gotcha. Yes Samsung. I didnt think there was another a30. Well Ive been using a j4 which isnt any more powerful and has less ram, smaller battery and not a 1080p screen.
I honestly thought that I heard of an A30 from another OEM like ZTE or something. A30 is probably a name that can't be trademarked, while Galaxy can be.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I too would recommend a Samsung phone. They usually have crisp displays and awesome cameras.

Hope your recovery is speedy!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20