Will magnet mount effect phone, navigation or compass?

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
I was looking at this magnetic mount for the car. Cleaver idea, seems like I could slip the metal plate in the back of my case between the phone and the case. Perhaps also a piece of paper to prevent scratches. The thing I'm concerned about is if the magnet will effect navigation especially the compass? I guess it probably uses the GPS more than the compass. Seems to get good reviews and I didn't see anyone complaining about the magnet.

Amazon.com: iMagnet Cradle-less Magnetic Mount with Quick-snap Technology, Smartphone Car Windshield Dashboard Universal Holder: Cell Phones & Accessories

71iTuJfWJYL._SL1500_.jpg

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I was looking at this magnetic mount for the car. Cleaver idea, seems like I could slip the metal plate in the back of my case between the phone and the case. Perhaps also a piece of paper to prevent scratches. The thing I'm concerned about is if the magnet will effect navigation especially the compass? I guess it probably uses the GPS more than the compass. Seems to get good reviews and I didn't see anyone complaining about the magnet.

Amazon.com: iMagnet Cradle-less Magnetic Mount with Quick-snap Technology, Smartphone Car Windshield Dashboard Universal Holder: Cell Phones & Accessories

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71iTuJfWJYL._SL1500_.jpg

Better yet, will the magnet wipe your phone?

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Better yet, will the magnet wipe your phone?

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

Shouldn't wipe the phone unless uses a hard drive. One reviewer in Amazon said he ruined his original iPod the one with the small hard drive in it with it. But with all those positive reviews I doubt it would wipe a phone. I might interfere with NFC and wireless charging though. Ideally I would like a dock with both magnets to hold it in place and wireless charging. Palm had a wireless charger with magnets though it didn't sound like the magnets were strong enough to hold it vertically, just strong enough to keep it from sliding off the charger.

Chiplg

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
You already have your answer. The compass would be effected, but the GPS would not care. Unless you use an app that shows your heading from the compass, don't worry about it. My car dock app does, but I rarely look at it as I usually have the GPS or music app on anyway.

Alicia Rami

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
I wouldn't take my chances. Magnets mess with the sleep function a lot of times. Besides, sorry to say, but that would look horrible on your dash.
You have to look for one with shielded magnets, like this one:

kickstarter.com/projects/1893116150/mount-anything-anywhere-neutron-a-and-neutron-s

It has a design that limits the magnetism to the plate and it looks way more refined than the cheap-o version you have pictured above.

Cheers!

Roamingnome3

Mar 3, 2015
Visit site
Although this is an old thread, figured I'd share. I have used a generic magnetic mount, requires a small disc to be mounted inside a phone case or directly to the back of the phone. With it being mounted to my phone I've noticed that when using my qi wireless charger the plate and battery get hot (and I mean hot) to the point the phone shut down.

I've only used it twice with the plate on my phone before removing it and haven't had a problem since. This is just my experience though , I have an xperia z3; didn't notice interference with the compass though, but, I use an older android with offline navigation maps for routing and use my xperia sporadically for fine real time nav.

chickflick

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I'm glad this thread ended up on top because I have a similar question, though not exactly the same...

I just bought a magnetic car mount and I love the concept. It holds really well, etc. However, when I put my Galaxy s4 Mini on it, everything disappears and it only displays the clock, won't let me do anything with it. I've restarted the phone a few times, moved the metal plate to different places, and changed some settings that I thought would do the trick, but nothing worked. Any ideas?

Thanks!

3smiley

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
"Hi, I'm glad this thread ended up on top because I have a similar question, though not exactly the same...

I just bought a magnetic car mount and I love the concept. It holds really well, etc. However, when I put my Galaxy s4 Mini on it, everything disappears and it only displays the clock, won't let me do anything with it. I've restarted the phone a few times, moved the metal plate to different places, and changed some settings that I thought would do the trick, but nothing worked. Any ideas?

Thanks!"

I do not have an answer to this, but rather the same question... I have a Samsung Galaxy S4, and almost every time I lay it on the magnet, the screen goes black, showing only the time and date... nothing will work, unless I take it off the magnet...

Thank you to any one who may have a solution to this!

aapold

May 15, 2011
Visit site
The S6 edge actually sticks to my magnetic mount without a plate though only sans case and not that great (e.g. a speed bump can dislodge it).

I used a magnetic plate on the outside of an lg3 otterbox symmetry case for a long time without issues including navigation though I never used the compass.

Posted via the Android Central App

aapold

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I called samsung to ask them. After a lengthy delay where the tech said he had to ask his manager he returned with the statement that the use of any non samsung product could damage the phone. I asked him to clarify, so even an otterbox defender case for example? And he reiterated the same line that if it was not a samsung product it could damage the phone.

Waste of 15 minutes.

pochen1

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I'm glad this thread ended up on top because I have a similar question, though not exactly the same...

Thanks!

I'm not 100% on this, but I suspect the magnet is too strong. On my s3 and s4, you can buy cases that have a cover(like a folio case) with a magnet to change the screen to the clock when you close the cover. Maybe the strength of the magnet is tripping the sensor. See if you can move the magnet in a different place on the back (lower) on the back of the phone?

pochen1

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
"Hi, I'm glad this thread ended up on top because I have a similar question, though not exactly the same...

Thanks!"

I do not have an answer to this, but rather the same question... I have a Samsung Galaxy S4, and almost every time I lay it on the magnet, the screen goes black, showing only the time and date... nothing will work, unless I take it off the magnet...

The strong magnet is probably affecting the sensor. My s3 and s4 with a folio case (magnetic cover) will go to the date and time when I close the case. Move the magnet around the back to see if there is an are that won't affect this. Otherwise, the magnet may be too strong. If you are old enough to have used a blackberry, it's the same where the magnet on the holsters would put the phone in sleep mode.

darvvin

Jan 21, 2016
Visit site
Samsung makes a folding case called the S-view cover. It has a window in the front, and a magnet in the closing flap. When closed the magnet turns on just the clock display which shows through window.

The magnet in the holder is activating S-View mode.

Check settings under My Device -> Accessories

Not sure if you can disable it.

I can't post a link, search Youtube for 'Galaxy Note 3 S View Cover review' for a better explanation.

NickinVA

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I called samsung to ask them. After a lengthy delay where the tech said he had to ask his manager he returned with the statement that the use of any non samsung product could damage the phone. I asked him to clarify, so even an otterbox defender case for example? And he reiterated the same line that if it was not a samsung product it could damage the phone.

Waste of 15 minutes.

Magnets are fine. Million threads on this. Magnet style mounts are fantastic.

Dauntlessface

Jun 8, 2016
Visit site

Thanks!"

This response is probably way too late but figured I'd respond anyway. The device changes to that when you place it on the magnet because it is triggering the behavior of an S-view cover which turns the screen off except for the top part displaying time and missed notifications. The older sview covers use a magnet in the cover, a little different than some of the new ones.

cre8tv

Jun 28, 2016
Visit site
DANGER, WILL ROBINSON!

I've got one of these in my car. Works fine with my phone. TOTALLY F-ED UP MY IPOD. DO NOT use it with a iPod. Farewell, my 120GB musical pal.:'(

N0h4ck1ng

Aug 9, 2016
Visit site
DANGER, WILL ROBINSON!

I've got one of these in my car. Works fine with my phone. TOTALLY F-ED UP MY IPOD. DO NOT use it with a iPod. Farewell, my 120GB musical pal.:'(

I currently have a note 5, I purchased the magic mount with power, (12w, 5v) and works great. Not only has it not messed with my phone but because of my phone being Qi charging I don't need the magnetic plate glued to my phone, it sticks on its own. Note: I don't use a case. Now if someone just made a magnetic holder with Qi charging, Omg!!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000