Will the plugging and unplugging into car mount damage my USB connection?

ranger29

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Finally got a car with bluetooth, and got a mount for my phone. The mount has top and bottom bars to hold the phone, but what also keeps it steady is always putting the phone on (connecting it to) the USB plug at the bottom (which is attached to the mount, if you follow me).

I'm worried that the daily plugging and un-plugging of my phone in the car mount may prematurely wear out the USB connection and I will need a new phone sooner rather than later. Charging, I know, also involves plugging in, but I will be doing the plugging and un-plugging of the phone way more frequently in my car.

Anyone have any experience with this? Perhaps I should get a different mount that doesn't require the USB to be plugged in all the time. But I wanted a small footprint (i.e., not on the dashboard, not coming up from the bottom).

This is what I got: Sinjimuru Universal Smartphone Sinji Car Kit Charging Mount

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
It is possible that the more you plug and unplug the device, the port can get damaged or worn out. There is no way to remove the charging plug?

ranger29

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Without plugging into the charging plug on the bottom the phone is unstable and will fall out. I took another look online and may get this, if the diameter of the suction cup/footprint will fit my area (installing vertically, i.e. inbetween the vents): Amazon.com: iOttie One Touch XL Windshield Dashboard Car Mount Holder for Amazon Fire Phone and Galaxy S5/S4/Note3/Note 2 (HLCRIO101): Cell Phones & Accessories

I tend to use my phone vertically not horizontally so I've realized I really should have a bottom support too.

Chiplg

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
I've docked every Android phone I've ever owned in a car dock, and have never had an issue. That's not to say it could not happen. My first Android was the Droid X, and I docked it for about a year and a half before switching to a Droid RAZR, which I had for almost 2 years before switching to the Droid MAXX that is approaching a year old now. Before that, I had a BB Storm that I plugged in every time I got in the car, just to keep a charge on it. I never had an issue with any of them.

A quick search shows Micro-USB spec'd at 10K cycles. If you plugged it in 4 times a day every day for 2 years, that's less than 3K. Can it be an issue? Sure, but unless you see posts about your particular phone's USB port breaking prematurely, I would not think twice about it.