Any suggestions on a good screen protector?

user242

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Hello, I currently have a Zagg front and back protector on my htc dna phone. I like how it protects the phone and looks beautiful when wiped clean. My main issue with this protector is the rubbing, skipping, and sticking when scrolling with my fingers. This makes me unwillingly select things on the screen that were not intentionally selected. This is beginning to get a bit frustrating. So I'm looking for a new front cover screen protector that provides extra smooth scrolling abilities and also provides good fingerprint and smudge resistance. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance! :thumbup:

My DNA sent this...

dmarcus48

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Personally I have always found the zagg screens too expensive and I use the "best skins ever" brand. They probably aren't as good as the zagging, but they are. 1/4 of the price, to put them on use the same technique as the zagg protector.

user242

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Personally I have always found the zagg screens too expensive and I use the "best skins ever" brand. They probably aren't as good as the zagging, but they are. 1/4 of the price, to put them on use the same technique as the zagg protector.

I agree with you dmarcus48 on Zagg being too expensive so I actually went with a knock off brand found on eBay it's called "Stealth Shields" and they are very similar to the zagg protective film and it was only $5 shipped so I don't really have much to lose if I don't really like it. It does a good job protecting my device and is nice and clear but it's not very smooth with scrolling.

My DNA sent this...

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I've had zagg, hated it, thick, rubbery, orange peel. phantom skinz are great. Smooth, not thick, no orange peel, no yellowing.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Here is the post on which i learned about phantom skinz, the guy reviews a few and rates their different qualities. : ).
(Just to add, these are the wet apply kind. There are also the dry kind that are very thin glass, they don't fit rounded corners and the borders show but many people like them for the perfect tactile feel and the ease of application). If anyone can compare any of these to Ghost Armor or Body Gaurdz that would be great, apparently supersmooth feeling but no one on all of the entire internet has compared them to PS, so dunno if it's better.

http://forums.webosnation.com/webos...t-skins-ever-clear-coat-zagg-vaja-fortte.html

Text:
This is all based of the Skins I have received. I believe that they are all somewhat made of the same material, but of different quality, making others thicker, thinner, smoother, and rougher than others, so it seems that material can vary and change throughout time. My review is purely based of my preference and should be used to help make your purchase easier. I wish I have seen a guide like this, would have made my purchase a lot easier.

The only other skins that I would have loved to try out would have been Bodyguards, Ghost Armor, and Amzer (Though it looks like Amzer doesn?t provide the best corner coverage from what I?ve seen). I believe that these also have a smoother than others, orange peel type deal. But hopefully, I have helped make decision buying a little easier.

Map:
5 Best (Easiest of Installation, Best of Quality, Response, Fitment, and Close to None or No Orange Peel)
4 Above Average
3 Average
2 Below Average
1 Failing (Worst of Installation, Worst of Quality, Response, Fitment, and Large Amounts of Orange Peel)

1st Phantom Skins
- The orange peeling is not as noticeable as the others, but has this somewhat odd lines that runs across the screen (can be seen in the photos). The feel out of all four is absolute best which makes it the top pick; the smoothest feel and the lines are really not too bad. I?ve installed countless screen protectors and I can see where people have problems with fitment, which makes this skin somewhat the hardest to install. Tip for all installations: When installing and PROPERLY ALIGNED, install with the middle first, work your way out to the edges, IMPORTANT-When you get to the outer edges, INSTALL the edges FIRST, ALIGN the edges PERFECTLY (the breaks on the corner of the Skin) ?then SOMEWHAT work to the center side of the phone.? Meaning, you can start a quarter of the way from the top and bottom and then go to the center ? as long as you get the curved edges first.
a. Installation . . . 3
b. Quality . . . . . . 5
c. Feel . . . . . . . . 5
d. Fitment . . . . . . 5
e. Orange Peel . . . 4

2nd Best Skins Ever
- This has Thee best fitment of the bunch, covering to the very edge. If you are looking for absolute coverage, then look no further. This has to be PROPERLY aligned, if not, you will get excess film on the side of your phone. The orange peel is very noticeable, but the feel is definitely smoother than the Zagg Invisible Shield. Due to its design, this is one the easiest of the bunch to install.
a. Installation . . . 5
b. Quality . . . . . . 5
c. Feel . . . . . . . . 4
d. Fitment . . . . . . 5
e. Orange Peel . . . 2

3rd Clear Coat
- The feel on this skin is fairly nice, slightly better than Best Skins Ever. The quality on this skin, like the others is superb. The only problem with this skin is the lack of coverage on its edges. Because of its design and lack of edge coverage, this skin is the easiest to install.
a. Installation . . . 5
b. Quality . . . . . . 5
c. Feel . . . . . . . . 4
d. Fitment . . . . . . 5
e. Orange Peel . . . 3

(added by me: BSE is supposed to feel better than Skinomi, so Skinomi would go somewhere around here)

4th Zagg Invisible Shield
- The reason this is last on my list is because the material ?feels? to be the thickest of the bunch. I liked its uber tacky GEL-rubberish feel, but the response was definitely goofy. This skin for some odd reason would at many times not be as responsive as the other skins. I would consistently miss hitting apps, icons, keys, etc. Compared to the top 2 on the list, this edge coverage is mediocre, but still provides edge coverage. Another downer is that, on mine was, if this skin is centered there was extra material on one side, if you correct for the side edges, the ear hole, center gesture button and speaker hole were off aligned. Tip: For those that have this same problem, I have thrown a couple coats of Maguire?s Car Wax on the skin ? very SMALL applications. This also helps smooth out its Tacky Feel as well as all the finger prints that imbeds on the skin. Response also increases with this method.
a. Installation . . . 4
b. Quality . . . . . . 5
c. Feel . . . . . . . . 3
d. Fitment . . . . . . 3
e. Orange Peel . . . 3

Last edited:

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I used an XtremeGuard on my DNA for a while, but I didn't like how grimy the wet-apply screen protectors end up feeling...

I just randomly bought the Halo-branded screen protectors from Amazon and while they don't provide the same protection as the wet-applies, it's good at resisting fingerprints/oils, while not really being an anti-fingerprint protector. It has a slight texture to it which helps with the fingerprints and whatnot, but it doesn't pixelate your screen as much as a cheap antifingerprint/matte protector. It does introduce some faint diagonal lines, but it's not terribly noticeable and doesn't bother me.

But yeah, since the DNA has a curved screen, it does lift slightly on the edges. If you don't use a case - I wouldn't recommend it. If you do use a case... it may get dust under it over time, but you do get 3 per pack, I believe.

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I've had a lot of screen protectors and never was really impressed with zagg, or skinomi. I just ordered the phantomskinz for the moto x. Will see how it does. Really hope spigen comes out with a screen protector soon.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Well I had received the Phantomskinz full body protection for the Moto X. First in will say that I have had many phones and have installed many screen protectors. The Phantomskinz back in matte finish was nice, the clear for front was not very good. It was just dull and made the screen bland, non vibrant to look at. The side protection, did not work on the moto x at all. The x is a 2 piece design and the seem that separates the 2 makes it impossible for the sides to adhere correctly. I ripped them off first. Then I ripped off the dull front protection. Keeping the rear matte finish, and went back to the standard clear front hard screen protectors. I will not purchase Phantomskinz again.

Moto X

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech