I purchased a few spare non-OEM batteries for my Samsung Charge from eBay. They are 1500mAh vs. the 1600mAh OEM battery. If I recall (I bought them a month ago) I tried one in the phone and it seemed fine (I may be wrong). Anyway, I tried one today, just to see if it had held the charge. I inserted it and booted the phone which went normally. After the boot was complete I got a message that the battery was not the correct battery (I don't remember the exact message). The phone seemed to be operating fine so I left it in. After about 5 mins I noticed the screen was dim but still on, even though I had it set to time out in one min. The screen would dim after only 15 seconds, even though the timeout was set for one min., but would never shut off.

I tried rebooting a few times and also tried another of the non-OEM batteries, and always got the same result. I put the OEM battery back in and everything was normal again.

I have used the cheap Chinese aftermarket batteries in my high-end Nikon DSLR's and while they may not have performed quite as well (although they may have) and they may not have the same life expectancy (although they may have), they performed well and I was able to have LOTS of spares, which I like.

Given the battery needs of the charge I though it would be wise to just have several spares to keep in the car and around.

Has anyone else tried a non-OEM battery, and if so, did you have the same result as me?

Thanks,

Joe
    07-13-2011 07:14 PM
    Keeping batteries ina car with the extreme heat and cold is sure way too an early death. Why not keep a charger in the car and plug phone. I got an extended battery so when I know I will be travelling or potentially away from power for extended time I pop in the extended battery.
    07-13-2011 08:45 PM
    Thats weird. I actually just ordered 1 as a spare on ebay. Will post my result.
    07-13-2011 09:57 PM
    It haas been my experience in the past that the batteries which are very cheap non-OEM are cheap for a reason.

These phones are designed with batteries that work specifically with the devices. The phone is designed to work with a specifically designed battery, which when charging will only charge to it's maximum amount. The OEM batteries can be relied upon to give off the correct amount of juice where I would never bet that these cheap knock-offs would. That is not to say that there may be non_OEM batteries that will work. But why take a chance. Those cheap batteries that do not work correctly can end up ruining your phone.
    07-13-2011 10:05 PM
    A few weeks ago I picked up 2 batteries and a charger for the GF's thunderbolt. They were from amazon and I believe the manufacturer was called hyperion. They work great in her phone so I bought the same for my phone. Should get them shortly and I will report any issues.
    junksecret likes this.
    07-14-2011 01:54 PM
    A few weeks ago I picked up 2 batteries and a charger for the GF's thunderbolt. They were from amazon and I believe the manufacturer was called hyperion. They work great in her phone so I bought the same for my phone. Should get them shortly and I will report any issues.
    Cool, I'd really appreciate that, thanks.

Joe
    07-14-2011 02:38 PM
    Got the batteries and charger last Saturday. Everything works fine, no battery errors and it almost seems the aftermarket ones last slightly longer. That's probably just in my mind though. Only minor issue is the wall charger seems to take forever but it also has a USB connection so you can charge the phone and an extra battery. Well worth the money I feel. Just search hyperion batteries in amazon.
    07-21-2011 02:36 PM
    I bought what appears to be two stock Samsung (1600?) batteries online very cheap and they seemed to work fine. At the same time I bought two non-Samsung (Chinese) 3500 mAh batteries that I have used exclusively (one of them) ever since. No issues that I can see. They come with the appropriate back cover and a wall charger.
    01-17-2012 05:44 PM
    Been using two "Samsung" batteries and charger off eBay for a year now, never an issue with my Captivate.

Sent from my Samsung Captivate
    01-17-2012 05:46 PM
    try recalibrating the battery with a calibration app.

1) charge new battery all the way, uninterrupted.
    2) calibrate via app

the calibration dumps the old battery statistics so you have a fresh profile for your battery. see if that helps
    05-24-2012 02:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD