Back cover on Samsung website

barrycinti

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
It's either an extended antenna for extra reception or it's for inductive charging.

I noticed there are brass contacts on the back of the phone that line up with the contacts in the picture, however there are two contacts on the phone and three contacts in the picture. The metal piece could be a patch antenna. I wonder if it is needed because the cover is thick or made from a material that attenuates the signal hence the need for a higher gain antenna. There is probably a way to look it up on the FCC site, but I do not know how to do it. On the other hand it could be a shield for inductive charging.

UPDATE: Found it. Inductive battery door

https://www.mobilecityonline.com/wireless/store/productdetail.asp?productid=28011

Last edited:

Eyephone

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Wow,

Why is this the first time hearing about this? I can not find any further details about this, or if the other necessary parts are available from Samsung.

I want it.

mboverst

May 15, 2011
plus.google.com
At my Verizon corp store they had a bunch of them in-stock on the release day. I'd just call them and ask. It's pretty expensive, if I remember right, it's like $30 for the battery cover and $70 for the actual charging pad. I did receive a 25% discount on all accessories, I'm sure you could do the same by just asking.

A lot of haters on other forums have railed it for being stupid, but I think I'm in good company with other tech phone geeks and found this to be pretty cool :cool:

All my past phones I've kept over six months have problems with the charger plug-in wearing away form constantly plugging it in. This definitely takes some of the strain off of it, and pretty neat to just toss it on the desk/nightstand and get it charged. I hate fumbling for a cord that has inevitably dropped on the ground every time I need to charge it up.

Eyephone

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Wow. I really want this. My local stores think I am silly for even thinking that the phone can charge inductively. I see on verizon's website that I can buy the inductive back, but no charging pad in sight.

I am very interested in this......seriously, this could have been a huge selling point for this phone....completely screwed launch/marketing for this great phone.

Any help as to where I might find the pad and or inductive back?

climbak

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I called several stores in my area and found one and the guy said I'd get 25% off. Naturally when I drive there to get it, they don't give me the discount. Gotta find it cheaper somewhere.

climbak

May 9, 2011
Visit site
How much bulk did the back battery cover add to the phone? I always have a case for my phone so if it adds really anything that I probably can't go for it.

Wow. I really want this. My local stores think I am silly for even thinking that the phone can charge inductively. I see on verizon's website that I can buy the inductive back, but no charging pad in sight.

I am very interested in this......seriously, this could have been a huge selling point for this phone....completely screwed launch/marketing for this great phone.

Any help as to where I might find the pad and or inductive back?

Theoretically you could buy any Qi enabled charging pad since that is the new standard being adopted. From what I've been able to find out the Verizon unit works on the Qi standard. I know Energizer makes one and I imagine there will be more in the near future if not already.

Last edited:

mboverst

May 15, 2011
plus.google.com
Strange, I can't find one anywhere on the net. The Verizon page only lists the inductive battery back cover for sale at $29.99. I'd just keep calling your local corp stores and see if they get any in.

Worst case you can PM me and I'd be more than happy to mail you one if my store still has some in stock.

Your right, this was a big screw up since gadgets and cool things like this would be a great selling point. I didn't even know about it until they brought out the accessories box and I saw the inductive battery cover and had to ask if they had the actual charging pad in the back.

@climbak It's the same size as the normal battery cover, so no weight/bulk is added.

climbak

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Great, I'm going to go back to my store that had them in stock and get the cover and I'll order the Energizer pad on Amazon. I'll post back if it works when the pad comes in tomorrow.

mboverst

May 15, 2011
plus.google.com
For those looking, here's the info I pulled off of the packaging. Maybe you could give the ID numbers to your Verizon rep and they could look/order it for you.

Both Verizon Branded:

Wireless Charging Battery Cover
SAMI510-WLDR

Wireless Charging Pad
UNIWRLCHG

Reactions: Eyephone

climbak

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I got the Energizer charging pad in and picked up the back cover for it today. Works just fine, with or without the case I have over the phone. Gotta love standards!

The bad: the battery cover adds exactly 2mm to the thickness so for those of you, like me, who use cases at all times, this is not a good thing. The case I have currently is one of those cheap TPU ones, so I think I can modify it enough to work. It fits over the phone, but not real well. I imagine there won't be any hard cases that fit with the cover on. Could be a deal breaker for me, but we will see.

Eyephone

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
It is good to know that the Energizer pad standard will work. I am sad to hear that the back panel is thicker.

Can anyone who has this cover talk about the quality or material of the part? One of my only hardware gripes is that the factory back being so shiny and thin makes the phone feel cheaper than need be. Any chance the inductive back cover has a matte or textured finish?

mboverst

May 15, 2011
plus.google.com
Dang, sorry climbak. I didn't notice a difference in size on mine when I said that to you :-! I'm glad the Energizer worked out for you, I may pick up a spare one of those now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol