Stock "class 2" microSD Card

zman6900

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
Class 4 should be plenty for the Charge. It's not like we're recording professional quality 720p. Don't feel like you need to upgrade because you don't! I'm not sure what they're transfer rate is but I have a newer class 10 for my hd camcorder - it has a transfer rate of 30MB per second. I would guess the ones in our phones are around 10 MB per second.:D

saillling4life

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
I agree on the part that you shouldn't go out and use your money for a higher class card, but I think it's a little weird that some models have Class 2, and some Class 4.

gsimmons2005

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
I agree on the part that you shouldn't go out and use your money for a higher class card, but I think it's a little weird that some models have Class 2, and some Class 4.
I am a serious DSLR camera nut, so SD card speed issues come up all the time especially when you are shooting many shots for buffer purposes.

As I understand it, the Class value only affects the read speed of the card. Therefore, if you have Class 6 vs Class 2, reading files or moving files to your computer would be much faster, but it should not present any problem having Class 2 for taking pictures, recording video, etc...

jono119

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
mine a class 2 and i bought my DC from the verizon store. mine has lag in loading pictures in the gallery, my music sometimes doesnt play (requires a restart) and ringtones dont play (requires restart).

should i reformat the card? my phone is only about a week and a half old. I never had these types of problems with my samsung fascinate which had the factory 16gb memory card in it.

everything if factory on the phone on EE4

bl4ke360

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
This is unsurprising if you know anything about Samsung, I discovered they do a similar thing with some of their TV's. They use different panels in a certain model TV, people call it the panel lottery because you don't know which one you'll get even though all TVs of the same model should have the same specs. I'm guessing this is one of Samsung's deceptive ways of cutting costs wherever they can.

Read more here: Samsung S, A, C Panel Differences: 2009 LCD Line-Up - AVS Forum

enik

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
My epic choked on that cheap card samsung through in. Its worth upgrading to a class six if you can.

From Archos With Love

h_cl

May 22, 2010
Visit site
This might be a dead topic but i thought id share with you all that I bought a lemon droid charge on Friday with a class two. Last night (5 days later) I replaced the phone at the same Verizon store and got one with a class 4. I don't think its much of a difference to anyone unless they are copying/ reading a lot of files.

oresteez

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Keep in mind how much of a difference it makes when you are trying to take a bunch of pictures of someone/something and you have to wait an extra second or two between every picture you take...
That's probably the biggest issue in my mind when it comes to the card..

djwiteboi

May 17, 2011
Visit site
I know this is going to sound dumb but how does one check what kind of card they have? Is it as simple as taking it out and looking at or.... I dont know?

Zumaone

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I know this is going to sound dumb but how does one check what kind of card they have? Is it as simple as taking it out and looking at or.... I dont know?
Yes, it is as simple and taking it out and looking at it. It is usually a small number printing in a circle after the 32GB. I just checked mine a little bit ago and have a Class 4.

redskinsnut

May 20, 2011
Visit site
I have asked several reps in Verizon stores what their opinion was on these cards and they had absolutely no idea what "classes" of cards meant. :eek:

BlueBiker

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
As I understand it, the Class value only affects the read speed of the card. Therefore, if you have Class 6 vs Class 2, reading files or moving files to your computer would be much faster, but it should not present any problem having Class 2 for taking pictures, recording video, etc...

No, it's the write speed. From what others have said, you probably want something faster than Class 2 if you're recording HD video to avoid dropouts. If you're running an app that frequently saves a lot of data to the card, it might also make sense to get a faster type.

BlueBiker

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
mine a class 2 and i bought my DC from the verizon store. mine has lag in loading pictures in the gallery, my music sometimes doesnt play (requires a restart) and ringtones dont play (requires restart).

should i reformat the card? my phone is only about a week and a half old. I never had these types of problems with my samsung fascinate which had the factory 16gb memory card in it.

Playing music isn't terribly demanding on a card, so if you're having any problems at all I doubt it has anything to do w/the speed of the card. Reformatting sounds like a good idea.

electron

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
To add to the interesting debate, my first (defective) Charge came with a class 2. The replacement came with a class 4.
I personally haven't noticed a massive difference yet, but the Gallery does seem a tad faster at finding new photos. I have yet to record any video on my new charge, Ill let you all know if there is a difference.

Farabomb

May 23, 2011
www.azpinstalls.com
I am slightly upset that some have class 2 and some have class 4. I got my charge the second week of release, paid full price and it came with a class 2. I bought a thunderbolt for my girlfriend at the same time and it came with a class 4. I feel if the phone is advertised being able to take HD video the hardware it ships with should be up to the task. Matters not if I ever use the feature but I would sure be pissed if I was on vacation and wanted to use said feature and it wasn't up to the task.

I got scammed the last time I went to a corporate verizon store. I was lied to about Blackberry tethering and they ended up selling me a netbook and a BB. Partly my fault for impulse buying without doing research. Luckily this time I went to a independent store and had a much better experience. I have been a verizon customer for over 10 years and overall they have been good to me but I can see why they get get some of the flack from people.

Tom74

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I didn't know anything about different class SD cards before seeing this thread. So it got me curious to check and mine has a class 4. I just bought mine a week ago from a VZW store. I wonder if the early releases came with class 2 and along the way they decided to switch to class 4.

fundragon

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
I have asked several reps in Verizon stores what their opinion was on these cards and they had absolutely no idea what "classes" of cards meant. :eek:

When I mentioned the variance in classes of cards in the Charge, the rep who sold my wife her new phone claimed that all memory cards are the same speed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20