samsung Vehicle Mount came today . . .

expidia

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Solid build quality. Nice suction cup action. Usually these suction cups are pretty flimsy but this one locks on solidly with one click of the level.

I saw in another thread that a poster said he could not put the Charge in the cradle with one hand. I had no problem doing it.

One note of caution though is that the usb female end sits in the lower right side of the cradle. It's a tight fit getting the Charge in and I said to myself "this is going to ruin the usb port on the Charge or the cradle" . . .

Well, I was doing it wrong and I did read the enclosed manual, but I must have missed it.
The usb female in the cradle is actually on a slide which you first click it into the down position, then snap the Charge into the cradle and then push the slide up and the usb slides effortlessly into the charge (just reverse the process for removal) Nice design on this sliding usb because when I viewed the dock online my first concern was that the constant docking and undocking was going to start marring the finish of the plastic Charge. It cradles it firmly but gently, without it clamping down overly tight and ruining the finish.

It does come with a stick on dash circle, but I worry that my dash is going to look like crap if ever you have to remove it. I've seen people go to sell their cars, remove their stick on stuff and the glue that holds them on had eaten into finish of the dash.

Another poster said there was not enough angle, but I'm sure his windshield was probably weird.
There is plenty of adjustment for normal windshields and it has a large control knob to tighten to prevent it becoming floppy like my previous Proclips did with other devices.

The manual also suggests you replace the suction cup every 6 months (I can't wait to see how much they get for a suction cup). Also, don't leave it on the windshield all the time. They say the sun or cold can damage it's suction ability if always left on. They suggest removing it every 5 days for awhile.

I'm not one to leave just the bracket attached anyway when the car is unattended. Doing this is an invitation for a druggy to break into your car, as once they see an empty bracket they think there might be a $1000 GPS in the glove box or the arm console or under the seat.

I always laugh when I walk by like a new BMW and see what is probably an expensive radar detector just sitting there on the windshield. Then the owner comes back and finds one of their side windows shattered and then they also steal anything else they can grab in 30 seconds once in the car!

I'm not thrilled with anything hanging off my windshield (I think it looks Ghetto) but I have to use a suction mount for my Tomtom GPS sometimes and I was hoping to at least not need that unit anymore now that I have the Charge. I was able to do away with carrying around my Blackberry (glad to see that finally go) and my 5mp 5 year old camera which I used on vacations. I don't need the camera now as the Charge takes better pics. I was glad to get rid of the BB and I'd like to ditch the Tomtom now too and just use the Charge for all.

Most of the time the charge sits nicely in my dash's swing out cupholder. I got the dock for the times I need a GPS or I'm using a rental. I also have one of those universal vent mounts from another device, but they are flimsy and a steady flow of AC air or heat can't be good for the charge anyway.
closing off that vent's air flow only serves to reduce the overall AC anyway.

Some rear view mirrors can be adjusted up higher and then angled down again. Using this dock it positions the charge nicely with a few adjustments and positions it just below where the mirror was, so as not to block more your forward view of the road.

All in all, I think it's a keeper!

Last edited:

atlantar6

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
I got one as well and like it. I actually have it stuck to my desk at work when I dont need it in the car. Charges, I have an external speaker plugged in, and in car mode it stays on so I can see if I missed a call or text.

The price was $39 but when I checked out of the Verizon store it was $29 on sale!

neverdye

May 2, 2011
Visit site
I just picked mine up also - I am having a problem where I plug in the headphone jack to the bottom of the car dock, but the audio is still coming out of the phone external speaker. Anything I need to configure? Or a different car dock app?

redskinsnut

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Why hasn't anyone designed a secondary dock, vehicle and home, that allows for most phones to fit with the case still on? They would be huge sellers! The fact is most people use a case to protect their phone and these same people generally don't purchase these docks because they don't want to have to take off their case each time they use them.

expidia

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Why hasn't anyone designed a secondary dock, vehicle and home, that allows for most phones to fit with the case still on? They would be huge sellers! The fact is most people use a case to protect their phone and these same people generally don't purchase these docks because they don't want to have to take off their case each time they use them.

You could use one of those vent mounts with a case. They have adjustable sides that you just squeeze together. I still have one that I used to use in rental cars. It's a little flimsy and shaky because it hooks into the vents. The one that VZ sells might be beefier for around $20.

rescueswimmer

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site

Because there are 25 different case MFG's out there. Yes it sucks popping my case on and off but that is the only solution as of right now.

What Android needs to do is get a proprietary Docking port like APPLE, or atleast a specified location then we could get some nice docks that work with multiple devices so we don't have to buy a new dock every time you buy a new phone. The only nice thing about owning an "i" product.

thomed

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
My first post, as I finally have something to add. I use the induction charging back,really like it, and found the Charge won't fit in the vehicle mount, just as the warning in the package said. Flip the holder of the car mount around (upside down), and Voila! you can use the car mount just fine! (Of course the "auto usb connector" doesnt work anymore, but just plub the usb cord into the phone itself. Works fine.) And, the display flips just fine, so your screens are upright.

Thomed

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
You could use one of those vent mounts with a case. They have adjustable sides that you just squeeze together. I still have one that I used to use in rental cars. It's a little flimsy and shaky because it hooks into the vents. The one that VZ sells might be beefier for around $20.

Another alternative other than the cheap vent mounts would be to buy a RAM Mount. The sides squeeze in like a vent mount, but RAM offers multiple ways to attach the mount to your vehicle. They are not the cheapest out there, but the build quality is outstanding. I have used RAM quite a bit to mount different devices to motorcycles. They also have mounts for laptops, etc.

Hondo88

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
I just picked mine up also - I am having a problem where I plug in the headphone jack to the bottom of the car dock, but the audio is still coming out of the phone external speaker. Anything I need to configure? Or a different car dock app?

I imaging you figured it out, but when the phone is docked there is a little gray icon (like a phone with sound coming out) at the bottom of the display, if you push it the phone will play audio out of the dock headphone jack.

Hondo88

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
FYI, this dock doesn't (don't know if others do) pass USB data through the USB port. It appears to be only for charging. If you have a USB connection on your car radio/head unit that is used to access music from your phone, it won't see the phone (mass storage device) when connected to the dock.

smtompkins

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone tried the spring-loaded friction mounts like the Arkon SM212 that is listed in the Android Forum Accessories and Store as compatible for the Charge? It looks reasonable, but appears that it would either block the power port or side buttons.

FribbleToe

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I tried the Verizon/Samsung mount and I hated it. I could not use it with my case. It was difficult to get the phone in and out. Then the power connector on the mount bent and scratched my case.

I switched to the Bracketron Cup holder mount. It works with my case (Verizon case) and should work with almost any case. It is quick to install or remove phone. It is cheaper and it looks good. I would recommend it.

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Fribble,

I agree, taking the phone out of its case every time kind of sucks. However, I find it less sucky than having to connect the charger and audio cable every time I get in the car. I guess you just have to pick your poison.

Steve in CT

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maximusdebois