Good day everyone. I have a viewpoint on everything that's been going on with these USB C to USB a cables. my phone is a mi 5. because the phone is designed for Quick Charge 3.0 it will only draw up to two amps on a powerful 5V power supply which is capable of providing 2.5 amps. on a 5V 1 amp power supply it will only draw about 900 milliamps. and plugged into my old MacBook it will only draw about 400 milliamps because I believe it's a 5V 500 milliamp Supply. so what I'm trying to get at is even though my phone wants two amps the power supply will only provide what it's capable of. and this is with a proper cable that has the 56 K resistor installed which is designed to allow 2.4 amps so my question is for the phones that are designed for the USB-C specification why are they able to draw too much current. the power supply should have Provisions to not allow more power to be drawn from it than what it's capable of delivering. so the $1,500 Chromebook that this Benson fellow claims was damaged from plugging his phone into it seems to me more of a problem with the USB port than it was with the cable. thoughts?
    07-14-2017 08:16 AM
    Hi, welcome to the forums!

so my question is for the phones that are designed for the USB-C specification why are they able to draw too much current.
    This is possible because many charger and cable makers are not actually following the USB C specifications. USB-C allows for up to 100W 20V5A. What Benson and most others are wanting is for the manufacturers to follow the USB - C specifications exactly and to support USB Power Delivery, which, when both are properly adhered to, will make mistakes extremely unlikely.
    07-14-2017 08:50 AM
    I agree. I wish my phone had come with a c to c cable and meant to charge at usb c spec. It never charges at more than 12w on QC 3.0 so it would charge just as fast but would be future proof basically instead of an in between system. What I'm getting at though is it doesn't matter what the phone is asking for or whether there's a current limiting resistor in the cable. The PS should only deliver what it's capable of. My point is my phone only drawing 400ma plugged into my laptop. It didn't draw what it wanted it drew what the port allowed. No usb a to micro cable causes this problem even though the phone could ask for 2A and it only gets what the PS gives
    07-14-2017 08:59 AM
    And thank you for the welcome
    07-14-2017 08:59 AM