Are we nearing the end of the affordable Chromebook for the foreseeable future?

AshevilleSoxFan

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys, I bought my very 1st Chromebook in Sept 2015. This came after extensive research I settled on a Asus C201 with 4 GB of Ram and 16 GB of space. I've really been pleased with it, still own it It's a rocket ship with a great battery. I routinely have a dozen or more tabs open and performance wise it never skips a beat. The best part about it was I paid $189 brand new 2 mos after it became available.

It's not perfect, the screen's not very good and the volume without headphones is rather poor.
But these things haven't been an issue for me.

I'm looking at the new releases now mostly out of curiously as I think I'm at least 1 more yr away from buying. But they all seem to be starting at $300+. They're better quality in that you often get 1080P and touchscreen to accommodate the Play Store. But the sub $200 units with flawed screens seemed to have vanished. Has the news of the Play Store killed the sub $200 quality Chromebook?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I think part of the issue is if the Chromebooks will all start to get Play Store support, more internal storage will be added. That will boost the price, but even at $300, I think most will be much better than the Windows counterparts for the same price.

stodge

Jan 3, 2018
Visit site
I wonder if the coming flow of ChromeOS tablets has or will kill the cheap Chromebooks. Hmmm, on second thoughts that doesn't sound right as the education market still needs the cheap Chromebooks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2