Looking to go to Chromebook

Sidbub

Oct 22, 2020
Visit site
Been PC user since 1990 and am at this time totally sick and tired of having to deal with MS OS. Using Win 10 on my Dell. Interminable downloads and multi boot issues. Have had enough! Looking a Chromebook. I am not a high end gamer user. Just research, email, word docs, spreadsheets and the like. So here's the question, a recommendation with a budget around under $450.00. A reliable unit with at least a 13" screen. Would appreciate any comments. Thank you.

Rowlette

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
This is what I purchase in July and It is been just the best tool I have ever used. I only use my Windows for running Quicken accounting system. If and when Quicken will run Chrome OS or on Linux (Mint) I would happily give up Window's OS. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B086...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6878347
Hope this will help you on your journey. I also spent considerable amount of time and energy trying to find a good balance for a useful PC without breaking the bank. There are a lot of really good Chromebooks out there if you what to spend $900.00 plus but not in the sweet spot of under $500.00 price point.

Rowlette

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
The only real limitation with ChromeOS is it with networking intranet with network systems. Yes, it has some ability to use simba share but it needs to integrate seamlessly (net share) in a standard windows base ethernet Server design system. I feel that it in the works and this will be the fall to OS for home or business.

Rowlette

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
Hard to believe that you can't get anything decent under $500.
Than why I recommend The Lenovo Chromebook Flex 5 13" Laptop it hit all the key points plus it flips to be a large tablet when needed. Note the Pen is now available. I still run dual Window Servers with Nas attached but I am now retired and just advice old friends/ clients.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I'm a full-on Chromebook freak:p and totally recommend it. Have a Pixelbook, Pixel Slate, HP Chromebook 14, and Lenovo Chromebook Duet. I hardly ever touch my Windows PC (and actively try to avoid it when possible). There are plenty of good models under $450 for your purposes, since the lower end Celeron processors should be fine for basic web activity that you describe. Personally, I like to go for at least a Core i3, and ideally an i5, which does boost the price a bit. I don't know much about the AMD processors, but anything with an A6 or higher will probably be good (although I wonder if there might be some Android app compatibility issues). Mediatek processors are slower, but the Helio P60T in my Lenovo Chromebook Duet provides reasonable performance (but since that one is more of 10" tablet, I don't expect to use it routinely for productivity).

Rowlette's recommendation for the Flex 5 is a good one -- currently $410 on Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/Lenovo-Chr...ated-82B80006UX/dp/B086383HC7?ref_=ast_sto_dp. Has a Core i3, 4 GB RAM (which is more than enough for routine usage), 64 GB storage, 1080p touchscreen.

If you're a Costco member and if you don't need a touchscreen, these two would be fine (the same or similar models are also at Sam's Club):
https://www.costco.com/hp-14"-chrom...eve-%26-wireless-mouse.product.100645883.html
https://www.costco.com/samsung-15.6...1080p---bonus-rf-mouse.product.100537931.html

With Costco (and I assume Sam's Club), you'd have the peace of mind that comes from being able to return it easily within 3 months if you don't like it.

Oh, and by the way, even though you're not interested in gaming, online gaming services like Google Stadia and NVIDIA GEForce Now work quite well on Chromebooks!

fatclue_98

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
As a long-time Windows user you should know this going in. If you've vested your time, energy and data to Edge you will be quickly frustrated when you realize you can't put Edge on a Chromebook (almost). I've owned more CBs than I care to remember and the one thing I've always hated was this limitation. However, the MediaTek-equipped Lenovo Duet supports the Android version from the Play Store. This is a wild guess but I'm thinking the incompatibility with every other CB I've ever owned boils down to the Intel CPU. If this isn't a deal breaker I would recommend the Acer Spin 713 above all others. Even Android Central's own "best of 2020" has it as the best pound for pound when $$ is a main consideration.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
As a long-time Windows user you should know this going in. If you've vested your time, energy and data to Edge you will be quickly frustrated when you realize you can't put Edge on a Chromebook (almost). I've owned more CBs than I care to remember and the one thing I've always hated was this limitation. However, the MediaTek-equipped Lenovo Duet supports the Android version from the Play Store. This is a wild guess but I'm thinking the incompatibility with every other CB I've ever owned boils down to the Intel CPU. If this isn't a deal breaker I would recommend the Acer Spin 713 above all others. Even Android Central's own "best of 2020" has it as the best pound for pound when $$ is a main consideration.
I never bothered with Edge, nor its predecessor IE. I've used Chrome and Firefox for many years now and recently added Brave.