Need laptop for work

woomdawg

Nov 18, 2020
Visit site
I am a Subaru dealer tech and I need a laptop to track my repair orders and hours per job with sheets. I also would use it to l also need it to log into our tech website. The only catch is I need to able to download files from the edge browser. Will the chromebook work for me? I love the Google ecosystem.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Unfortunately, Edge isn't available on Chromebooks, even through the Play Store. Sorry! Maybe in the future?

What requires Edge?

woomdawg

Nov 18, 2020
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Unfortunately, Edge isn't available on Chromebooks, even through the Play Store. Sorry! Maybe in the future?

What requires Edge?

For whatever reason we can only download our updates for infotainment systems from edge browsers all of a sudden.

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
Are you sure that Edge is a specified requirement? Now that Microsoft changed Edge so it's based on the Blink web engine, it's basically just another Chromium clone. If your business does have an 'Edge' specific website, there's a good chance that the Chrome browser will suffice. Is there someone in the IT department you can reach out to for more details?

woomdawg

Nov 18, 2020
Visit site
Are you sure that Edge is a specified requirement? Now that Microsoft changed Edge so it's based on the Blink web engine, it's basically just another Chromium clone. If your business does have an 'Edge' specific website, there's a good chance that the Chrome browser will suffice. Is there someone in the IT department you can reach out to for more details?

It is something that is Subaru wide problem limited to my dealership. I did find a work around tonight talking to other techs on a FB group,if you right click or long press and chose to open it in a new tab it downloads. I tested it with my tablet at home that I previously tried to download the same file. Opening it in another tab did the trick. Now the question is Intel, AMD, Mediatek, qualcom?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I favor Intel, at least a Core i3. I was previously a little cautious about the Mediatek ones, but my Lenovo Chromebook Duet has a Mediatek Helio P60T which works fine. The P60T is one of their more powerful CPUs, though, so I'd still be a little leery of their lower end ones. Don't know much about AMD CPUs, but would probably go for at least an A6. Qualcomm is relatively new to the Chromebook game, so I don't know too much about those either.

One wrinkle is that I believe Android apps tend to work a little better on Mediatek chips than Intel (i think since Mediatek is ARM-based), so if you plan on using Android apps heavily, that might be a point in Mediatek's favor.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I would opt for the highest RAM offering for whichever device you decide. The 4 GB chromebook seems to run better. Chrome has always been a RAM hog.