Chrome Beta Browser? (for older Chromebook that is no longer getting software and security updates)

Jul 13, 2022
Visit site
Hello, I bought an older Chromebook from Walmart a few months ago, not knowing the updates were set to expire. I now received this message "This is the last automatic software and security update for this Chromebook. To get future updates, upgrade to a newer model". I can't afford to buy a newer model right now.

So I now fear it will soon or eventually become vulnerable to hacking, malware, etc. So I have been looking at security options and different browsers for Chromebook. I am now thinking Chrome Beta might be a good choice. On Google Play Store it shows it was last updated a couple days ago, so that looks good.

Thanks for any thoughts or knowledge about using the Chrome Beta on Chromebook?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I moved the thread to the Chromebooks forum.

I don't think that'll help in terms of security, but to be honest, I've never tried it. The functionality would be a little more limited, since Chrome for Android doesn't have as many features as the full Chrome browser on ChromeOS, Windows, or MacOS.

I'm still holding out hope that Google will make ChromeOS Flex available for older out-of-date Chromebooks as a way of rejuvenating them. https://chromeenterprise.google/os/chromeosflex/. This could be a possible solution for you, if you can get your hands on a really cheap used Windows laptop. I think the main downside for ChromeOS Flex is that you can't install Android apps, though.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae