Office Productivity for ChromeOS

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
If you're big into VBA activities, it doesn't work, otherwise Google Drive is pretty awesome. It has compatibility both directions with Office files, most of the functionality and works regardless of what platform you're on. You can edit from your Android, iOS, Windows or Chromebook. Also, you can remote into a Windows machine from your Chromebook if there is anything essential that you need to accomplish that doesn't work natively.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
If you're big into VBA activities, it doesn't work, otherwise Google Drive is pretty awesome. It has compatibility both directions with Office files, most of the functionality and works regardless of what platform you're on. You can edit from your Android, iOS, Windows or Chromebook. Also, you can remote into a Windows machine from your Chromebook if there is anything essential that you need to accomplish that doesn't work natively.

Can you use Microsoft Word and Power Point?

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Can you use Microsoft Word and Power Point?

The Office Web Apps are available and usable from ChromeOS, which give most functionality to both programs. Otherwise, using a third party software (Google Docs, etc) or remote access to a windows machine is required. So yes, it is possible to use Word and Powerpoint from ChromeOS, Office Web Apps--Create, edit, share Microsoft Office documents, spreadsheets, presentations and more online - Office.com and/or remote access.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
The Office Web Apps are available and usable from ChromeOS, which give most functionality to both programs. Otherwise, using a third party software (Google Docs, etc) or remote access to a windows machine is required. So yes, it is possible to use Word and Powerpoint from ChromeOS, Office Web Apps--Create, edit, share Microsoft Office documents, spreadsheets, presentations and more online - Office.com and/or remote access.

I am not computer smart, my 12 year old daughter wants a laptop for Christmas and said she needs Word and Power Point, she will be using Word and then saving to USB. Don't think she will ready be using Power Point.

So she will be able to do that with a USB drive? Hate to keep asking what probably sounds like stupid questions.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I am not computer smart, my 12 year old daughter wants a laptop for Christmas and said she needs Word and Power Point, she will be using Word and then saving to USB. Don't think she will ready be using Power Point.

So she will be able to do that with a USB drive? Hate to keep asking what probably sounds like stupid questions.

It is possible to make it work that way and not too difficult, but if having the applications and not just compatible documents is the requirement, then I would recommend a Windows laptop, such as the Asus ones. They're affordable (not as much as Chromebooks) and high quality for the price (typically 300-500 range). It might be a good idea to have her test out the Web Apps to see if those are sufficient enough for her needs (assuming school related), because the cost savings is pretty huge if that is going to work. USB drives are compatible.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
It is possible to make it work that way and not too difficult, but if having the applications and not just compatible documents is the requirement, then I would recommend a Windows laptop, such as the Asus ones. They're affordable (not as much as Chromebooks) and high quality for the price (typically 300-500 range). It might be a good idea to have her test out the Web Apps to see if those are sufficient enough for her needs (assuming school related), because the cost savings is pretty huge if that is going to work. USB drives are compatible.

Thank you.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad